Thread: Square Bolt Body

Basic Member

Square Bolt Body

Not too long ago I saw a square bolt body from a company, but did not bookmark it.

Anyone know who may make a square bolt body?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
    Not too long ago I saw a square bolt body from a company, but did not bookmark it.

Watching this one

Basic Member
    Just found it.

Lumley

Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post

Ya'll been sniffing modeling glue again?

Being you posted this in the Savage 110 board, I'm assuming this "square bolt body" was an aftermarket replacement unit for a Savage? How exactly would that work - square peg/round hole and all... ? Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Ok, so still round - just with flats milled into the center section. Different, but not something I'd put on a field rifle as the gap it creates could allow foreign matter to get down into the magazine or wedge itself between the bolt and receiver causing it to jamb up on you. Fine for a bench gun/range queen I suppose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	9858
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    I’ve been speaking with the owner of Lumley, Tom. Good guy. Those are actually just large square flutes. But he told me last week he was only planning to release the standard to start. He’s making the standard round in .695” & .700” to start, then he’ll see about doing the fluted.

Tom has several other products on the horizon. They already offer the Bolt Handles & the BAS’ for both the 110 & Axis in 6AL4V Titanium. I use both of these & the quality of machining is fantastic. And YES, I have dibs on a round style as soon as they are finished.

He also has several parts for Tikka. He likes those also. So if you’re a Tikka fan, check them out.

I can almost feel the extra slop in the bolt from the picture.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    I can almost feel the extra slop in the bolt from the picture.

Actually, there would not be any more slop over a round of standard fluted bolt of the same diameter, depending on fit. The measurement is from corner to corner on this. Not from flat to flat. Think of it turning on center axis. That said, I wouldn’t use it either for the same reason Jim pointed out.

I have No doubt it would function fine. Was just joking around. The angle of the picture looks like the whole center is smaller at first look. With less bearing surface it might actually be smoother, especially if it’s a tighter fit than factory. My factory LWH spiral fluted one just hasn’t been cycled enough yet to wear in, and drags if you use too much upward pressure. Looks good but feels sloppy.
    I agree that this one would probably leave too much gap for debris if used in the field though.
    Definitely different, and nice to see people thinking outside the box sometimes.

Banned
    Gotchya…

Again, as I said, Tom isn’t releasing these straight away in straight “Fluted” (flats rather). He’s doing standard round bolt sleeves in .695” & .700”. I won’t go into them, but saw some other designs he showed me. Just some very cool CADD designs he sent me. Those interested, keep an eye on the Lumley’s site.

Has to be thin. Wonder how much pressure difference between then if crushed?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor