Thread: 12 precsion bolt spacing and stock options

Basic Member

12 precsion bolt spacing and stock options

I saw a model 12 6.5 creedmore locally for sale. it caught me off guard as is a right ported action with an AICS mag in an aftermarket stock.

I am wanting to use this action for a small shank 22-250 barrel build.
    My question is are ported actions large or small shank?

Basic Member
    If the action is open across the top like most Savage actions, it could be a 12 FV with an aftermarket stock.
    I have one in 6.5mm CM that I put in an Oryx chassis with an AICS mag with an action that is right ported but open across to the left like a regular Savage action.
    The 12 new FV is a small shank action.
    The 12 FV is especially made for Cabela's, but the stock came without an aluminum stiffener which I found caused the stock to twist as it was fired.
    It was very accurate even with the factory stock.
    The replacement chassis made it stiffer and improved the accuracy by about 12%. That might be why the stock was replaced.

I also have a 12 LRP in 6.5mm CM that is a large shank. It has a right ported action without being open to the left side. It came with an HS Precision Stock which is has an aluminum stiffener.
    It is as accurate as the 12 FV with the Oryx chassis, even though it cost a lot more.

Some of the single shot model 12s, like the 12 LRPV, have a left ejection, but I don't think they come in 6.5mm CM.

To understand which shank a particular rifle has, you need to measure the barrel nut. The large shank barrel nut is shorter than the small shank barrel nuts by a bit.

Did it have the red/orangish accutrigger? If so that is the LRP(long range precision). That action would be closed on top and just a right side oval port, and it would be large shank.
    If the whole top of the action port is open and it has a silver trigger blade, then it should be small shank.

Here’s the difference in barrel nuts to determine shank size visually.

Banned
    Charlie went over them. You likely came across a 12LRP. Large Shank. But very easy to tell based on the picture pdog posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kwarw1 View Post
    I saw a model 12 6.5 creedmore locally for sale. it caught me off guard as is a right ported action with an AICS mag in an aftermarket stock.

I am wanting to use this action for a small shank 22-250 barrel build.
    My question is are ported actions large or small shank?
    Your question is confusing due to lack of information...

Right ported action doesn't tell me anything - could be a standard RB/RP action or a LB/RP action (like the old Striker pistol actions were). AICS mag doesn't help with identifying - especially in an aftermarket stock as the previous owner could have changed mag types when switching stocks.

Best thing to do would be to go back and look at it closer and take a tape measure with you to get an accurate measurement on the screw spacing. This will tell you the generation of the action and/or action type, etc. and then you'll know what aftermarket stocks will fit it.

Pdog's pic on the barrel nut difference answers the shank size question.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I'll go back in the morning with a tape measure hopefully they still have it and it is a small shank.
    It wasn't open at the top, that's what I meant by ported.
    They where asking $750 for it. If it is large shank I'm not interested and I will give details of it's location.
    Thanks again

Banned
    Yeah, that’s what I thought. Probably going to be Large Shank. Again, I’m betting it’s a 12LRP. I want one for the Action in the future.

Yeah, most likely a large shank as most all the small port actions were large shanks.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Okay,I got lazy and called.It is still there, according to Scott the barrel nut is 5/8 red blade and indeed right ported. It is at Grady's Great Outdoors in Anderson SC.
    The aftermarket stock looked like ones that I have seen in the classified section here wanting a couple hundred. The barrel looked to be 26"and threaded with a protector at least that is what I recall. Please verify if you are interested.
    Again thanks for your help

Yep. Figured that was what it was. Actually probably not a bad price on that gun though depending on condition.

Basic Member
    I agree.The AICS is $175.The stock may be worth several 100.I know nothing about aftermarket stocks it did have a straight grip.It looked well taken care of to me at a glance.

Banned
    Thought so. For $750, I’d get it.

You still can Dave. Guy will ship it to your closest ffl…😉