I recently received a Boyds varmint Thumbhole stock to replace the factory plastic on my FV112.
I am also changing the barrel from a 22-250 to a 260 Rem (both varmint contour).

The Boyds stock had a few minor finish issues, I decided I could deal with myself. Anyone know what they use as their top clear coat? There are a few areas that look a little thin or need a little fill and I think it could have another coat and then a good rubout. But I don't want to use an incompatible product and end up redoing it from scratch...
After reading dozens of negative experiences dealing with their customer service... I considered myself a lucky with the types of minor oops I received... but that's another story.

What I'm concerned about today is the recoil lug cutout.
In my factory stock, it is only slightly thicker (back to front) than the 0.15" thickness of the OEM recoil lug.
I see that in another aftermarket stock below, it is also a thin cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lug-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	9846

In the Boyds stock I received, it is .46" -which leaves quite a big gap in front of the recoil lug when everything is in place. The barrel nut cutout seems ok, but the void would be underneath it (That wood fuzz is now gone).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lug-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	9847

When the action is in place, the recoil lug rides against the stock as it should. My concern is the large unsupported area in front of it.
Should I fill the void with something (leaving a 2 tape thickness gap) for removing the barreled action?
Acraglas, body putty...?

Another question is whether to install action pillars, glass bed the action, or do both.
I have never done either but have no hesitations about doing either (other than screwing it up)...

My initial thoughts were to just free-float the barrel as is for now but at this point I am wondering if pillars would be a good idea or if the area around the action needs to be bedded too.

Thanks...