Thread: Siideways fllier question

Team Savage

Siideways fllier question

Bored so I shot a few targets with Eley Contact today at 50 yards and it was shooting pretty tight and about like I expected 1/2-3/4" or so, except one shot went about 1.5" to the right which was odd.
    What is it that causes a single flier out of 25 shots like that?
    Defective bullet?
    Or something else.

I was single loading bullets.
    The barrel has around 25 rounds on it since I last dry patched it and not enough for a carbon ring.

Basic Member
    I'd bet 100% bad shell. It happens even with quality ammo. Back in 1992 when we were shooting BR-50, a coupla friends and myself went to Camp Perry during small bore week. We were in search of good lots of ammo, so we bought 2 boxes of each lot # of Eley Tenex to test. We had 22 different lots. We tested them with a 54 Anschutz that had been threaded in the receiver. The test was held inside a barn and the range was 33 yds.
    Out of 22 lots, we found 2....that's right, 2 that were acceptable. Not exceptional, but acceptable. (Olympic years are always hard to get good ammo)

Anyway, I ended with case of one of the lots, and life was good. Well not for long. It took a while to catch on, but I found that every box had a flier that would drop straight low 1". You would think a dud like that would be easy to find and sort out. I drove myself nuts, weighing, measuring, and gauging rim thickness. I finally gave up and accepted the fact that it would always be there, and when it happened, I could write it off as a bad round, and not a condition change that I missed.
    When I was sorting ammo, I placed them in a MTM box, and that's how I shot them. After I throwed the towel in, I just started shooting them out of the box. This is where the miracle occurred. Long story short.....the fliers were always in the same position in the box. I proved it by opening every box and finding the flier. I was triumphant until I realised that I only had 1 brick left.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Didn't Pat run into a similar issue with that Geco Semi-Auto ammo he was running a few years back where one particular round in every box was a guaranteed flier?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'd bet 100% bad shell. It happens even with quality ammo. Back in 1992 when we were shooting BR-50, a coupla friends and myself went to Camp Perry during small bore week. We were in search of good lots of ammo, so we bought 2 boxes of each lot # of Eley Tenex to test. We had 22 different lots. We tested them with a 54 Anschutz that had been threaded in the receiver. The test was held inside a barn and the range was 33 yds.
    Out of 22 lots, we found 2....that's right, 2 that were acceptable. Not exceptional, but acceptable. (Olympic years are always hard to get good ammo)

Anyway, I ended with case of one of the lots, and life was good. Well not for long. It took a while to catch on, but I found that every box had a flier that would drop straight low 1". You would think a dud like that would be easy to find and sort out. I drove myself nuts, weighing, measuring, and gauging rim thickness. I finally gave up and accepted the fact that it would always be there, and when it happened, I could write it off as a bad round, and not a condition change that I missed.
    When I was sorting ammo, I placed them in a MTM box, and that's how I shot them. After I throwed the towel in, I just started shooting them out of the box. This is where the miracle occurred. Long story short.....the fliers were always in the same position in the box. I proved it by opening every box and finding the flier. I was triumphant until I realised that I only had 1 brick left.
    LOL - Good Lord. That is really weird with the fliers being in the same position in separate boxes. That's good for pulling your hair out by the roots.

You would think that weighing the shells would maybe show if a bullet had a void, but weighing the shell without weighing the individual components, you could never really tell for sure. I am going to weigh and sort one day just to do it. But busy with something else right now.

Sounds like an incredible PIA.

Basic Member
    tammons, if you had only run dry patches for some time, how many rounds since you cleaned the chamber with C4? If the 'ring' had a few minutes to cool off, a dry patch won't do much unless its a really tight patch.
    As for the 'weigh and sort', from what info I've seen it's a wasted effort. Too many variables to account for realistically. If you really have nothing better to do, maybe volunteer at something?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    tammons, if you had only run dry patches for some time, how many rounds since you cleaned the chamber with C4? If the 'ring' had a few minutes to cool off, a dry patch won't do much unless its a really tight patch.
    As for the 'weigh and sort', from what info I've seen it's a wasted effort. Too many variables to account for realistically. If you really have nothing better to do, maybe volunteer at something?
    I have a bore scope so there is no carbon ring.
    When I moved the action into an Oryx stock I thoroughly cleaned the barrel.