Thread: Question about re-sizing some brass

Basic Member

Question about re-sizing some brass

I recently aquired a Savage Model 12 in 6.5-284 and someone has given me some brass along with the rifle. Most of this brass is 6.5-284, some is 284 resized to 6.5, then I noticed some 22-284. The 22-284 was originally .284 resized down to 22-284.....My question is, would it ok to size it back up to use in the 6.5-284?

I mostly reload 300BO, .223, 6.5CM, 308 rifle calibers, and have for years, but I have not messed with this round at all and would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance!!

With a good anneal you may be able to bring the necked .22 brass back but you may
    find splitting and neck thickness variations that's not worth the effort. Another problem
    would be if those sized down necks were turned or reamed after sizing from the original
    .284 brass. Necks would then be too thin and may split on firing......How many are necked
    to .224 and what is the head stamp ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Most 22-284's have also been shortened a good bit in overall length. A 6-284 is plenty overbore as it is resulting in short barrel life, so dropping down to 22cal many shorten up the body to decrease capacity and extend barrel life.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    With a good anneal you may be able to bring the necked .22 brass back but you may
    find splitting and neck thickness variations that's not worth the effort. Another problem
    would be if those sized down necks were turned or reamed after sizing from the original
    .284 brass. Necks would then be too thin and may split on firing......How many are necked
    to .224 and what is the head stamp ??
    About 60 or so, I just did a quick rough count before I gave them to another reloading friend to take a look at. I didn't even take a look at the headstamps, I will ask him when I see him though.

Banned
    If you only resized them with no other operations, go ahead & try it. See what you get. But if you’ve resized, then also turned necks and/or shortened the cases, most likely the extra material needed for correct length & neck diameter/wall thickness is gone. And will most likely split.

Sounds like you are a competent reloader Vince. If it’s worth it to you, give it a try & just use your judgement inspecting the outcome.

You will more than likely need a tapered expander or two and anneal. more than likely the necks have been turned or reamed, then maybe not. As you can tell from my handle I take 204 brass up to .257 with very few losses.