Thread: What to do?? Decisions - Decisions???

What to do?? Decisions - Decisions???

Hi All,
    New here and 1st time posting here.
    I have 2 great old Savages (70s vintage) I purchased in my younger days. One a 112V in 25-06 (single shot) and the other a 112R (repeater) in 22-250.
    Both outstanding P. Dog rifles. Was a shooter years ago in the 1st Colorado P. Dog shoot that captured the News media and activists! To Say The Least!!!
    Anyway, I have it in my head to build a .35 Whelen rifle and use the 25-06 as the donner rifle. I recently picked up an E>R> Shaw Kit = SS 24" Barrel, pre chambered, Magnum Contoured barrel, Headspace Gages, and wrench from Midway USA cheaper than just the same barrel from E.R. Shaw. A bit of a wait till they came back in stock, so I had time to think over my plan.
    I have since changed my mind about messing with my 112V 25-06 (couldn't bear the thought).
    Since that, I have decided to buy another 110 rifle for the swap.
    Finally, to the question-- I have looked at the Axis types and not really impressed - cheesy stock -poor fit, etc.
    It's hard to locate a decent wood stocked 110. I also (yesterday at local gun show) saw the newer Remington 783 that uses a Savage Barrel nut system??? What's up with that?
    Any suggestions on what to do. The .35 Whelen is just a whim & a "need one" & will probably do some lead plunk'in & Maybe some hunting but not precision. I'm 73, so precision is merely luck - LOL!!
    Thanks
    Any comments will be appreciated.
    Roy

Basic Member
    Welcome.

Yes, several mfg have barrel nut systems these days. And most barrel makers have 'Remage' barrels that do the same thing for any 700 action. IIRC the threads are different than the Savage, but, I could be wrong on that.

And, yeah, it's harder to find wood stock rifles of any type these days. Your best bet is to visit pawn shops or those few gun shops that have a good selection of used guns.

Basic Member
    The 783 is Remington's attempt at a lower priced unit, and it does have a LOT of savage similarities including the barrel nut and threading. but if you for some reason can't use the stock... you are in a pickle. I would go with an axis 2 over a 783. But i have found a decent number of wood stocked 110's in mom and pop shops for $350 to $450. I would just look around a bit for the 110, i just like them better and they are easier to find parts for.
    Last edited by want2ride; 09-23-2023 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info

Banned
    Howdy Roy. Welcome to our forum. If I were in your shoes, I’d be using one that I had. But in your case, I recommend finding a used donor 110. Strip it down & sell what you can. Sorry, can’t give you any feedback on the Rem. 783. It’s not a Savage 110 so not really going to find much info on it. Honestly, I think it’s a knock-off Savage 110.

I find it interesting you have a 22-250 & 25-06, but want a 35 Whelen, huh? Well, that’s a bit different. I wish you luck on it.