Thread: 110 BA build. Lots of questions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

110 BA build. Lots of questions.

Thank you for adding me to your charter. So new to savage modern builds. I purchased a 338 LM 110 BA chassis gen 1 I would call it. Then found out savage guards the 338 action like a grail. So what i would like to use is a stevens 200 30-06 i picked up as a donor action. I have several 700 family builds so am not new to building what i like. Just stepped off my original path and am wanting to do something new. What do i need to complete this build? Will my staggared feed action work with single feed ba mags in a magnum cartridge? Im not sold on what cartidge yet looking at 300 rum? Possibly a 338 wildcat on magnum rim diameter? Please help guide me as to what i need to make this rig shoot? I appologize again for being nieve to savage parts and different generations im new to building one. Have seeveral that just shoot right out of the box so never got much deeper then bedding, trigger, recoil lug. Simple upgrades... thank you for any help.

Banned
    Welcome on! And, I believe you mean Center feed magazine? Yes, it can work. It’s been discussed & several have accomplished this. However, some machining is required to the back of the magazine well(of the Action). Looking at your Stevens Action, compare the mag outlet to this photo below. It needs to be machined slightly rounded(the side Closest to the Trigger which I call the “back” of the Action.) It can & has been done by people depending on your motivation know how. However, I would not touch a thing until you have all parts to constantly test fit. You only want to remove the least material possible to fit the magazine correctly. Also. Some may caution doing a RUM cartridge in a Small Shank Action. Even finding a Prefit Barrel in RUM can prove to be difficult. WinMag is OK though.

Staggerfeed to Centerfeed machining modification.

Besides the bit of machining, you will need the other normal parts associated with any build: the Barrel in your chosen cartridge, a new Recoil Lug & Barrel Nut are recommended. And of course, the correct size Bolt Head.

Here’s everything you need for sale in our classifieds:

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...nfired-in-case

If you swap out parts you could resell what you dont use and recoup some of the cost. But the action is already setup from Savage for the length you need, the correct bolt head, the correct shank size, etc.

Basic Member
    Wasn't there a .338LM action that was larger in dia than std? Is that what his chassis is made for? Would that chassis fit the std action?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Wasn't there a .338LM action that was larger in dia than std? Is that what his chassis is made for? Would that chassis fit the std action?
    No, the 338 LM Action had the same external dimensions, screw spacing as any other Long Action 110. However, they were(are) Large Shank. Look at this thread from the past. Take note especially to what Jim says. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-for-338-Lapua

Sell the chassis, and go 300 NM
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I’d stick with magnum case head size. Cartridges using the 416 Rigby parent case is the problem being used in the Savage Action. Once the chamber is reamed, it leaves a much weaker housing for these powerful cartridges. And although the RUM and NormaMag are almost equal, if I had to do one or the other, I’d still go RUM to keep the extra material in the Action. But in the end, I think PRC or WinMag are the best choice.