Thread: 110 BA build. Lots of questions.

110 BA build. Lots of questions.

Thank you for adding me to your charter. So new to savage modern builds. I purchased a 338 LM 110 BA chassis gen 1 I would call it. Then found out savage guards the 338 action like a grail. So what i would like to use is a stevens 200 30-06 i picked up as a donor action. I have several 700 family builds so am not new to building what i like. Just stepped off my original path and am wanting to do something new. What do i need to complete this build? Will my staggared feed action work with single feed ba mags in a magnum cartridge? Im not sold on what cartidge yet looking at 300 rum? Possibly a 338 wildcat on magnum rim diameter? Please help guide me as to what i need to make this rig shoot? I appologize again for being nieve to savage parts and different generations im new to building one. Have seeveral that just shoot right out of the box so never got much deeper then bedding, trigger, recoil lug. Simple upgrades... thank you for any help.

Banned
    Welcome on! And, I believe you mean Center feed magazine? Yes, it can work. It’s been discussed & several have accomplished this. However, some machining is required to the back of the magazine well(of the Action). Looking at your Stevens Action, compare the mag outlet to this photo below. It needs to be machined slightly rounded(the side Closest to the Trigger which I call the “back” of the Action.) It can & has been done by people depending on your motivation know how. However, I would not touch a thing until you have all parts to constantly test fit. You only want to remove the least material possible to fit the magazine correctly. Also. Some may caution doing a RUM cartridge in a Small Shank Action. Even finding a Prefit Barrel in RUM can prove to be difficult. WinMag is OK though.

Staggerfeed to Centerfeed machining modification.

Besides the bit of machining, you will need the other normal parts associated with any build: the Barrel in your chosen cartridge, a new Recoil Lug & Barrel Nut are recommended. And of course, the correct size Bolt Head.

Here’s everything you need for sale in our classifieds:

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...nfired-in-case

If you swap out parts you could resell what you dont use and recoup some of the cost. But the action is already setup from Savage for the length you need, the correct bolt head, the correct shank size, etc.

Basic Member
    Wasn't there a .338LM action that was larger in dia than std? Is that what his chassis is made for? Would that chassis fit the std action?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Wasn't there a .338LM action that was larger in dia than std? Is that what his chassis is made for? Would that chassis fit the std action?
    No, the 338 LM Action had the same external dimensions, screw spacing as any other Long Action 110. However, they were(are) Large Shank. Look at this thread from the past. Take note especially to what Jim says. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-for-338-Lapua

Sell the chassis, and go 300 NM
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I’d stick with magnum case head size. Cartridges using the 416 Rigby parent case is the problem being used in the Savage Action. Once the chamber is reamed, it leaves a much weaker housing for these powerful cartridges. And although the RUM and NormaMag are almost equal, if I had to do one or the other, I’d still go RUM to keep the extra material in the Action. But in the end, I think PRC or WinMag are the best choice.

In addition to controlled round feed I seem to remember the 300RUM actions having a slightly longer bolt travel than standard long actions and magnums to handle the extra length of the cartridges. Maybe a longer cutout too in order to allow for this???
    Also noticed that the classifieds seller forgot to mention the .338 edge as a popular big booming wildcat for a custom build due to the 300RUM case capacity if thats your thing.

Nothing wrong with the .300RUM other than powder consumption, recoil, and much more terminal performance than necessary for all but the largest North American game animals. Pretty sure thats why it didnt last with the hunting crowd and remington had to start manufacturing ammo in 3 different power levels to turn down the terminal performance a bit.
    On the upside its long reach and widest range of.308 component availability are nice assets.
    My 116 FLSAK .300RUM has been sittingfor nearly 2 decades now. I'd always heard there was no such thing as too dead till i saw what it did to 2 southern whitetails with 180 gr Sirocco bondeds.i havent had a visit from the pesky garden rhinocerous yet. If big elk, moose or uber long range paper are your goals it might be a great choice.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    In addition to controlled round feed I seem to remember the 300RUM actions having a slightly longer bolt travel than standard long actions and magnums to handle the extra length of the cartridges.

The bolt throw is controlled by the length of the bolt assembly & front baffle. These components are the same on all 110 Long Actions. It’s the same bolt throw as any other long action cartridge.

Basic Member
    This was what I remembered from Jim's comments:

"So in other words, Savage just did a band-aid fix to allow the 110 design to questionably handle the 338 LM. That's what happens when you have engineers designing guns who have a piece of paper from a fancy school that says they're smart but have little to no practical experience with guns or gunsmithing."

Wow when u guys show up ,you all show up! Im gonna need a bigger grill! I am super impressed at the responses!!! Thank you all! I am a avid hunter and shooter and this will be for the later. I am sad to say this is going to be another just because rifle. I like to show up and compete with friends using different things. Im kinda wanting to build a budget friendly savage and go crush some high end rifles (a few buddies shoot AIs). I am a bit of a accuracy junky. I dont keep anything that doesnt make me chuckle with little groups or just plain impressive power. This rifle is on track to being too heavy to lug across NE for white tail. I more or less want to fill another caliber and have a reason to look through every pile of bullets at local gs looking for new things to try. The closest thing to a savage build was a 320 in 357 harrett, besides the previos mentioned upgrades on 12s and 116s. So this is a learning curve for me. I can see i found the correct source for knowledge and guidance. I hope you all have as good of a day as you provided for me! Keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The bolt throw is controlled by the length of the bolt assembly & front baffle. These components are the same on all 110 Long Actions. It’s the same bolt throw as any other long action cartridge.
    Thats correct. It took me a little thinking to remember the extra legnth of the factory .300rums is in the magwell to allow them to function as repeaters with those long cartridges and not the action itself. Been a long while since I've fooled with mine but I knew I remembered they had a little extra legnth in there somewhere. I did restock it a while back with a Choate with a full legnth bedding block but havent finished up with installing the new Burris scope that matches trajectory of 180s I bought or reloading my emptys and getting to the range. Might find time soon to get ger back together and ready to rock.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.