Thread: I've been slacking off...

I've been slacking off...

Cleaning off my workbench this evening I came across a few boxes of spent .308 brass so I moseyed out to the shed to add them to the growing collection. When I got out there I realized I've been doing a lot more hoarding than reloading the last couple of years. Worst part is that this is only about half of the once fired factory loaded brass from the reviews I've done in the last few years. Still have a tub of .270 Win, some more 6.5 Creedmoor, some .17 Hornet, and a few baggies of other oddballs. Bad part is I don't even own rifles chambered for most of it at present, but it's nice to have on hand for future review guns. Downside is I'd have to spend a small fortune on .30cal and 6.5mm bullets if I wanted to reload it all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass_Hoarder.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	9841

And yes, I like my ice-cream.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    .....And yes, I like my ice-cream.
    The most important part!!

Basic Member
    I have been averaging a 5 gal bucket of brass every time I go to the range. Most gets scrapped. I don't need 9mm or 556 brass. I only keep commercial anyway. 45 I only keep the small primer as that is what everyone wants. I tried to sell some large primer at $0.03 each and they sat for a month. So they all go to the scrap yard now. Especially as they are paying $2.25/lb right now here at one of the yards. I have used the cash to buy a Ruger American rimfire in 22rf and topped it with a Burris 4-14 scope. A ruger Security 380, A Ruger Super Wrangler. 7K primers and 15 lbs of different types of powder.

And to top it off a new Criterion SS 223 barrel

Basic Member
    Our range is run by the city parks dept. There are two folks (not employees) who show up every morning to scrounge for brass. They make a killing after the practice sessions for the LEO's. We must have 6 or 7 agencies who use the ranges for their officers. I got my first batch of .308 hornady match brass after watching some of the swat snipers shoot.

I don't pick up much brass since I don't use common stuff. Hard to find 6BR or .308(SRP) brass on a range :)

Bing Black Cherry.....

As scrap prices was going nuts. I put out a feeler for all my hoarded brass. I mainly do
    wild cats and keep the oddballs around for ideas. Well I loaded up several buckets and
    Lincoln metals cut me a check for $385 bucks. I invested that back into over priced
    powder and primers I needed and "Bing Black Cherry"......

I'll note that I'm now 71 and hoarding just does not make sense anymore. I'd rather
    have a tub of ice cream in the fridge then a tub of brass collecting dust. I guess it's
    all about the current perspective. Did I mention "Bing Black Cherry".....LOL
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    LOL yes about "stockpiles" (fancy name for hoarding :) ). I'm 70 now and have downsized a couple times. When restocking some primers I realized I am getting to the point that my stash is getting bigger than what I will shoot in my lifetime, especially the pistol stuff. After some talking, I have made up some instruction cards for my wife on what to do with all this stuff after I go.

I am a simple type, vanilla with chocolate chips. :)

Fuj, my wife loves cherries and choc ice cream. Her all time favorite was a 31Flavors called Chocolate Cherry Cordial. Of course they stopped making it over 30 years ago, but, she has been looking for it ever since. A close second she gets at Cold Stone, choc, hot fudge and cherry pie filling.

I realize this thread is 4 months old.

Charlie, does your Hornady "match" brass have the crimped-in primer pockets? Just wondering, as a few boxes I picked up at our range several years ago did have. I worked up a box of 50, but gave the rest away, as I didn't want to deal with reaming primer pockets. I had 3 50 rd boxes of Hornady 'match' brass, different depictions of 'match' on the headstamp. It didn't seem any different than 'regular' .308 brass.

I also had an email exchange with tech services at Hornady, they informed me there was no difference between 'regular' .308 brass and the 'match'. Only the headstamps were different. He indicated they ceased the 'match' stamping around 2014. So much for marketing..... FWIW......

OH, Charlie, I sympathize with your wife's cherry ice cream preference.... We like the black cherry vanilla at Safeway.... Take care and remember to lick the spoon after you make her ice cream cone.....

-West out
    Last edited by HowardC; 01-21-2024 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    Sometimes ya just gotta take a deeper breath.....

Basic Member
    I don't remember about the Hornady cases. That was five years ago and those were tossed after being reloaded 15 or 20 times. I used some Winchester brass back then as well. Then switched to Lapua. Now I am using Peterson with the small primer pockets.

LOL, my wife won't touch vanilla ice cream, in any mix. Has to be chocolate and usually the 'double' chocolate. She will compromise on the chocolate topping but it has to have cherries. At home it is choc ice cream, cherries and the hard shell choc topping.

Many years ago we were close to a 31flavors. Almost every night I'd drive down and get her choc ice cream, cherries and hot fudge. I found out how often I was going there one night. As I opened the door the crew had the order ready to go. They recognized my car pulling up and just started making the order. :)