Thread: Problem with Savage 110 Switchback Bolt

Basic Member

Problem with Savage 110 Switchback Bolt

Bolt is super difficult to remove and I'm stumped. Seems you have to hold your mouth a certain way while pushing the bottom button and trigger.
    Now I've replaced the stock with a Oryx Chassis and the bolt came out easy, once; now I can't get the bolt out at all.
    Any suggestions or help?

Banned
    Have you tried a tool? Mini screwdriver or pin you can use to depress the bolt release? Would give you a mechanical advantage.

Basic Member
    Dave, if you're referring to the button bolt release, it isn't a prt of the Oryx Chassis. It stayed with the Savage stock.

But the BBR lever is still part of the trigger assembly. There should be a small slot on the stock to insert a small screwdriver or similar into, where that will allow you to slide the bolt release lever back and release the bolt as you depress the trigger like you did previously. Just think of the little screwdriver as your new pointer finger.
    The Magpul stock is the same way and it is a pain in the ***, but it’s the sacrifice you have to make to run that mag system with a bottom bolt release action.

Basic Member
    100%; thanks very much, I thought the mechanism might have been FUBAR'D with the conversion.

Banned
    Sorry 6ARC, I assumed you were aware of the slot on the Oryx for just that. I should have pointed that out. Luckily, pdog had it covered. Yes, like he alluded to, think of a little screwdriver or similar tool as as the guns buddy, and keep it close.

Basic Member
    I sorta fabricobbled a tool; a short piece of 10 ga copper wire with a small hook on one end, seems to work OK. As far as Oryx Chassis instructions concerning the Savage 110, none were shipped with the Chassis. AND while I'm at it, there was no mention of having to deal with this situation in their literature. I dropped Oryx a message to see if they could describe the issue to future purchaser's so they might have a heads up. Not disgruntled, I really like this Chassis.

Banned
    No, manufacturers don’t do that. There is a certain unspoken they expect people to have a certain knowledge of doing such projects. When I purchased my first MDT chassis, I knew how to install everything correctly.

Everything I’ve done I learned long before ever trying. All it takes is research. Everything you could possibly want to know about Savages has been discussed many times in the past. Before replacing a barrel, I had spent weeks & weeks learning to do so by research online. I read every blog I could, watched every video I could. I had everything in place and the job went without a hitch because I was prepared. That’s only one small example, however, every I do for the first time has been that way.

While I am a fervent supporter for DIY, I do believe people should take on their own the research involved. Also, people must be honest with themselves on mechanical ability. If someone is the kind who takes their car to the shop to have wiper blades replaced, well, they are likely not a DIY candidate & should probably rely on a Gunsmith.

6ARC, this isn’t meant towards you. I’m speaking to new shooters/gun owners. Asking questions of know more knowledgeable users is great. And, a type of research. But if a person was asking question after question on specifics of “how do I do this?? And, now how do I do that?” I’d say that person may need some actual professional learning first.

Basic Member
    Some things are needed. Oryx basically 'disabled' the bottom safety yet they advertise that their chassis fits that model? It is incumbent on the mfg to indicate how their chassis has changed the basic operation of the rifle.

Yes, you can find out about anything on the web (and sometimes it is correct), but, this is a case where it seems the mfg has messed up.

An example might be the trailer hitch (class III) I bought for my Toyota. Instructions went into great detail how two parts had to be modified so the hitch would fit, including templates for cutting one of them. Yes, without those I could have gone online and found a video of someone doing the install, but, it is still up to the mfg to show how their product fits.

Basic Member
    Well in this case Dave, I did prepare; I watched Utube videos, ect. I never once came across the fact that I'd have to manually flip the bolt release after I switched Chassis. It's not on the manufacturers website that I could find. It's not a problem cause I really like the Chassis, it would have been nice if they would have explained the situation in their own videos.
    Thanks for all the advise, especially from pdog06.

Banned
    Yeah, don’t think they messed up. The Oryx is the best dollar/performance Chassis available. I don’t think they owe to people so basic a premise as using the very clear slot, positioned right where the bolt release lever is in the bottom bolt release design. Again, I think anyone who has done ample research on TBR & BBR is very familiar with this. It’s a staple in many of the Chassis now, ever since Savage started using the BBR.

I just did a Google search using the terms “SavageShooters.com”, “Bottom Bolt Release” & “Oryx Chassis”. And this was the FIRST link to come up! https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...m-Bolt-Release I encourage you both read it & see what is spoken about in the first response and several more after! Just saying

They definitely didn’t make any design error. These companies are making them like this so that it will work with the majority of actions currently out there.. Savage has made so many changes to their short actions(mag styles, trigger guard inletting, action screw spacing, bolt releases, etc). that these stock manufacturers are now just refusing to try to keep up with it and have come up with a design that will work for most action styles.
    Some companies won’t even make stocks for Savage now. I believe Manners won’t inlet for a Savage at all now(maybe if single shot?), and McMillan will only inlet for a Savage target action. They won’t do a magazine inlet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, don’t think they messed up. The Oryx is the best dollar/performance Chassis available. I don’t think they owe to people so basic a premise as using the very clear slot, positioned right where the bolt release lever is in the bottom bolt release design. Again, I think anyone who has done ample research on TBR & BBR is very familiar with this. It’s a staple in many of the Chassis now, ever since Savage started using the BBR.

I just did a Google search using the terms “SavageShooters.com”, “Bottom Bolt Release” & “Oryx Chassis”. And this was the FIRST link to come up! https://www.savageshoote

I encourage you both read it & see what is spoken about in the first response and several more after! Just saying

I'll just have to spruce up my Google Fu

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ARC View Post
    I'll just have to spruce up my Google Fu
    LOL! Made me laugh my friend! Oh how I love that saying!

Pdog made another great point. Precisely what several have done. It really is a wonder they are still making them. The 3rd Gen was perfect imo. Then they go and do the BBR, and the 1-piece, non adjustable striker assembly. Always something different…and WORSE to boot!

Basic Member
    THREAD SHIFT:
    So, I reloaded some 75gr Sierra FBHP's with reformed 6.5 Grendel brass and H335 with OAL @ 2.110 and proceeded to the backyard range to sight in the Scope (Blackhound 6x24 50). Took me 3 shots to get it close to POA (Cataract in shooting eye AND a definite Right Brain problem). Once sighted I shot a 3 shot group @ 25yds, then a 4 shot (cause I had 4 rounds left) @ 50yds. I'm going to really like this rifle combo. Hope to get out today @ 100yds.

https://ibb.co/6tH3KBT

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    No, manufacturers don’t do that. There is a certain unspoken they expect people to have a certain knowledge of doing such projects. When I purchased my first MDT chassis, I knew how to install everything correctly.

Everything I’ve done I learned long before ever trying. All it takes is research. Everything you could possibly want to know about Savages has been discussed many times in the past. Before replacing a barrel, I had spent weeks & weeks learning to do so by research online. I read every blog I could, watched every video I could. I had everything in place and the job went without a hitch because I was prepared. That’s only one small example, however, every I do for the first time has been that way.

While I am a fervent supporter for DIY, I do believe people should take on their own the research involved. Also, people must be honest with themselves on mechanical ability. If someone is the kind who takes their car to the shop to have wiper blades replaced, well, they are likely not a DIY candidate & should probably rely on a Gunsmith.

6ARC, this isn’t meant towards you. I’m speaking to new shooters/gun owners. Asking questions of know more knowledgeable users is great. And, a type of research. But if a person was asking question after question on specifics of “how do I do this?? And, now how do I do that?” I’d say that person may need some actual professional learning first.
    " A man`s GOT to know his limitations." Harry Callahan, Magnum Force
    While a line in a movie, a lot of truth and wisdom in that statement IMHO. Wonder how many things have been royally buggered up by people saying " I can do that! " when it reality they couldn`t and a simple request for assistance from someone who actually could would have saved a lot of pain. Not to mention expense in the long run.