Thread: New To Me Old School model 110L questions

New To Me Old School model 110L questions

Good morning. I have been perusing the forums for awhile now gathering info for my savage rifles we have. So, first, thank you for all the info you all provide.

Now for the questions. I have a few savage rifles of various models but I recently purchase a older 110L that has 24S stamped on the barrel.
    I like the older rifles for what they are and the 110s seem to be a heck of a rifle at a affordable price.

This rifle has a replacement/custom stock that is a press fit along the barrel with no bedding(foil around recoil lug for fitment) so looking for a smith in the kc area or a cpl hours from. To take a look and see what needs to be done for bedding and floating the barrel.

Next is the trigger and safety...needs some work. It has a screw on front of trigger that adjust pressure of a ball bearing running on a cross rod.
    have pulled the trigger apart and cleaned it up. There are a cpl more screws Im not sure what they do. I won't touch any adjustment till have full knowledge of mechanisms.I have pics and can provide but not sure how to get pics posted just yet.

I searched quite a bit for trigger adjustment info for this rifle but all I have found are much newer or maybe this is a replacement?
    Any info you can provide for a smith or this trigger would be very helpful...until i get the pic posting thing figured out I can text or email photos to anyone that may have some insight. Thanks again. Looking forward to getting this ol girl shooting.

Banned
    Here ya go! Familiarize yourself with this first. One note: the screw on the front does NOT adjust the Sear. That is incorrect. It’s simply to keep pressure on the Trigger Pin. The other adjustments are in the safety bar & are for the Trigger pull, Safety & Sear/Trigger engagement adjustment & trigger alignment.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...ger-Adjustment

Banned
    And here is the true information on the first generation trigger you have. (Pre-‘66).
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...k-trigger-help

I became familiar with these right after this thread. Another member sent me his which I stone polished the Sear/Trigger surfaces of & learned it inside & out. Read post #8 carefully.

Thanks gents. I'll dig into it. Rifle has matching bolt and action numbers so will be fun to have a original gun to work with.
    Has some weird looking scope mounts that are adjustable that I don't think I have ever seen.
    Would the 24s stamp put it mid sixties?
    Need to figure out the pic posting...thanks again.

Banned
    Yours is 1965 production year.

For pictures, try using a 3rd posting. I use https://imgbb.com/ No signup, no email involved. Just upload from your device. Once uploaded, click picture & copy “BBCode” from list of links. Then paste the link directly in your thread post.

I'll give it a try. Thank you

Try this pic posting.
    https://ibb.co/WpC0TXR

Interesting scope bases.
    https://ibb.co/QF0pWZz

Banned
    Good .. just you’re copy/pasting the wrong link. You want to use the BBCode” link.

Like this:

Banned
    Yes, those bases are crazy looking! Just from this pic, I couldn’t even begin to guess how Rings & Scope are to be attached using those?? I’ll be honest, I would ditch those & just go with Picatinny rail.

Bbc code full link or thumbnail?

Banned
    The full link.

Basic Member
    I remember those kinds of bases, just not who made them. Fully adjustable for windage and elevation? IIRC you need the rings that went with them.

Banned
    I hope someone happens to know & posts what they are. I’d like to know. Those are about the strangest I’ve seen. I can not even begin to see how the rings attach??

EDIT: LOL! Found ‘em. Those are the Bausch & Lomb Balvar scope mounts.

Banned
    I forgot about this thread showing that very setup. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...207#post486207

Yeah… no thanks! I’d definitely be swapping out if you are planning to use the rifle. Unless of course it’s simply going to be a wall hanger. Then, sure.. Grab one of those vintage Bausch & Lomb 8a scopes for it. Although you’d have to find that whole separate part with the rings.

Basic Member
    A long time ago I looked high and low for one. I had a really nice 6x45 fixed power, no adjustment scope that I needed to mount.

Yes fully adjustable. Pretty cool looking but dialing them in would seem to be rather time consuming. Thanks for the leg work Dave. I'll look those up. I'll try to get more pics up when I get a chance.

How about any info on a Smith for this rifle that knows savages? It's a very nice looking rig and want to get the stock worked over a bit and put a new recoil lug in it.

Banned
    LOL! Several people here! Honestly, though, the bedding/barrel floating is no different than any other setup. However, I would shoot it & group it before doing anything gunsmith wise. Work on deciding, getting the mounting/scope you want. Do your homework & get the trigger working 100% & make sure the Action screws are Torqued properly. Clean the barrel real well using Copper/Lead solvent. (Because ya don’t know how much is left behind!) Then group it at 100yds. Do that First.

No point in bedding when you have no idea how it shoots yet. It could very well be a hummer ​as it sits.

Team Savage

Scoped my '57 vintage 110 with a Balvar 2 - 8x in 1975, still have both, my trigger is the one Dave mentioned.

Banned
    Yes, Phil was kind enough to send his to me so I could get some hands on messing with one. It polished up nicely. They are actually really nice triggers. The internal trigger spring resting in the Safety Block & acted on by a pin is ingenious. (And used today on some triggers). And being it has a Sear/Trigger Shelf contact setting, the argument can be made that it’s as nice or even better than the 3-screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL! Several people here! Honestly, though, the bedding/barrel floating is no different than any other setup. However, I would shoot it & group it before doing anything gunsmith wise. Work on deciding, getting the mounting/scope you want. Do your homework & get the trigger working 100% & make sure the Action screws are Torqued properly. Clean the barrel real well using Copper/Lead solvent. (Because ya don’t know how much is left behind!) Then group it at 100yds. Do that First.

No point in bedding when you have no idea how it shoots yet. It could very well be a hummer ​as it sits.
    For sure I will work with the trigger really not too bad since I tightened up the safety.
    As far as shooting before doing a float and bed job...it is needed. When I say barrel is pressfit it really is. I do not want to wear the bluing off the barrel.
    Thanks for finding the mount info...you are correct looks like rings are scarce but I plan on shelving the bases anyways. Love the way the rifle swings up to shoulder and fit is great for me.
    Last edited by Bode; 09-22-2023 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling