Thread: Fliers, Chamber shaving bullets, graphite, todays target

Team Savage

Fliers, Chamber shaving bullets, graphite, todays target

So, in an effort to get my lowly MkII FV shooting better, I did a thorough barrel clean, polished the barrel with JB and 22 drilled felt pellets.
    Barrel has some defects, but pretty clean overall.
    And it shoots good. It always has shot pretty well, but trying to close the groups.
    I put the action in an Oryx stock and bought a better scope.

I have changed my routine before each shoot and have been running a dry pellet down the barrel, one or two with kroil, another dry pellet, one with alcohol to remove the kroil, then run a pellet down the bore with lock eaze on it and let it dry.

All 5 shot groups below numbered at 50 yards, Eley Contact bullets.

1st group was cold bore. Did the exact same thing yesterday. IE 1st group shot very tight, then opened up a little.

Question is, I get these weird fliers. No really bad ones today, but occasionally I will get a flier that is over 1" off the POA.

Yesterday I got one that was about 1.5" and I assume the bullet is getting shaved. The other day I chambered a bullet and it looks like the chamber cut a flap on the tip.

Any of you guys figured out a way to stop the chamber edge from shaving bullets if that is the case?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-17-23 Eley Contact small.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	9831

Hi Troy! Great shooting 22.

Team Savage
    Thanks
    I ordered some Tenex (to try in no wind) and that should tell me the best this rifle can do.
    Think I will single load those.

Sometimes, it's the bolt face that shaves some lead. As the bolt picks up the top bullet, the magazine spring pushes the second bullet hard enough to press against the bottom of the bolt. If you have a sharp edge on the bolt face, it'll shave that second bullet. The fix is to put a small radius on that bottom edge of the bolt.

Look at the third pic in post #4. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...SR-scope-mount
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

You could try single loading the current ammo to see if that does anything for the good. Try inserting/starting each round into the chamber to avoid any misalignment of the new round coming out of the clip. Tenex ammo may/may not be the preferred ammo for your particular gun. One of the several levels of SK might be preferred choice.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    You could try single loading the current ammo to see if that does anything for the good. Try inserting/starting each round into the chamber to avoid any misalignment of the new round coming out of the clip. Tenex ammo may/may not be the preferred ammo for your particular gun. One of the several levels of SK might be preferred choice.
    What ammo does your MkII prefer?

I don't have a MKII, but have several RF's, it's nothing unusual for two guns of the same model not like/prefer the same ammo. Even different lot numbers of RF ammo will shoot better/worse in your gun vs mine. You just have to try all the different brands/types to find the one it prefers and go from there.

Basic Member
    Hi again (I've posted to other threads of yours) tammons, That's my post in that other thread so you know I have a B22, not a MKII. My rifle didn't shave bullets but I chamferred that guide-rail on the bolt anyway, 'cause I saw some 'very light scratches' on chambered bullets and wanted to avoid the possibility. Maybe if you tried a layer (or two) of adhesive tape on the follower of your mag it would be enough to lift the bullet tip over the chamber lip? Maybe just on the 'tip' of the follower? On a Sav-64 I have I lightly filed the chamber lip to 'break the edge' and that didn't interfere with firing - I didn't remove enough to reduce 'rim-support' for the strike. Only an area about 1/8" wide, or so. jpx's suggestion of single-loading might tell you if the prob is from the mag or bolt interfering. And he is correct about 'same-model, diff results' for ammo selection.
    And on a side note, if your MKII had the accu-trigger safety system you can try to replace the T-spring or do the Bic-heat mod I suggested in that other thread to reduce the trigger-pull. My B22 is now down around 1# or so.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Hi again (I've posted to other threads of yours) tammons, That's my post in that other thread so you know I have a B22, not a MKII. My rifle didn't shave bullets but I chamferred that guide-rail on the bolt anyway, 'cause I saw some 'very light scratches' on chambered bullets and wanted to avoid the possibility. Maybe if you tried a layer (or two) of adhesive tape on the follower of your mag it would be enough to lift the bullet tip over the chamber lip? Maybe just on the 'tip' of the follower? On a Sav-64 I have I lightly filed the chamber lip to 'break the edge' and that didn't interfere with firing - I didn't remove enough to reduce 'rim-support' for the strike. Only an area about 1/8" wide, or so. jpx's suggestion of single-loading might tell you if the prob is from the mag or bolt interfering. And he is correct about 'same-model, diff results' for ammo selection.
    And on a side note, if your MKII had the accu-trigger safety system you can try to replace the T-spring or do the Bic-heat mod I suggested in that other thread to reduce the trigger-pull. My B22 is now down around 1# or so.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the trigger.