I picked up an older model savage 110 in 30-06 and threw it in the safe a long time ago. When I bought it, I planned to put a 308 barrel on it. When I finally got around to it, I got a new take-off 308 sporter barrel off someone on another forum. I got it put on, headspaced and took it out to the range. It chambers factory ammo just fine. However, after it fires, the bolt handle fully lifts, but it will not move backward without impacting the handle rearward to break the case loose. I have tried both 7.62x51 FMJ and 308 Hornady hunting ammo with the same result. I have carefully inspected the cases and I can't find a consistent imperfection that looks like a burr getting gouged into the side of the case. The mouth might have the slightest lip on the outside edge, but not clear.

Thoughts on what it might be and what I should do? I'm assuming have a gunsmith look at it, but I'm I'd like to hear thoughts from savage experts.

The problem is my plan was to have my daughter hunt deer with it in about 3 weeks so time is short.

Thanks,
Stephen