Thread: Can't open bolt after firing, new swaped in barrel

Team Savage

Can't open bolt after firing, new swaped in barrel

I picked up an older model savage 110 in 30-06 and threw it in the safe a long time ago. When I bought it, I planned to put a 308 barrel on it. When I finally got around to it, I got a new take-off 308 sporter barrel off someone on another forum. I got it put on, headspaced and took it out to the range. It chambers factory ammo just fine. However, after it fires, the bolt handle fully lifts, but it will not move backward without impacting the handle rearward to break the case loose. I have tried both 7.62x51 FMJ and 308 Hornady hunting ammo with the same result. I have carefully inspected the cases and I can't find a consistent imperfection that looks like a burr getting gouged into the side of the case. The mouth might have the slightest lip on the outside edge, but not clear.

Thoughts on what it might be and what I should do? I'm assuming have a gunsmith look at it, but I'm I'd like to hear thoughts from savage experts.

The problem is my plan was to have my daughter hunt deer with it in about 3 weeks so time is short.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Basic Member
    I'd polish the chamber and see if that fixes the issue to begin with. The chamber could be a little rough, and once the case expands, it sticks in the chamber.

Banned
    The Primary Extraction isn’t functioning. Read this article: https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...ion-What-is-it
    To test this, try sticking a feeler gauge between the Rear Baffle & Action then extracting a case. Maybe a .020”-.030” feeler gauge. The absolute fix is machining the back of the Bolt Sleeve where the bolt handle sits. Another fix is epoxying a shim on the back of the Rear Baffle. And lastly, drilling/tapping the rear baffle fir 2 or 3 set screws, making for adjustable Primary Extraction. I’ve performed both machining the Bolt Sleeve & using a shim on the Baffle.

Team Savage
    Thank you for the input. That got me on the right track. Definitely too much slop in the bolt. Adding a coated steel cleaning jag makes it work but not well enough to extract reliably. I should also mention the bolt handle has a little forward/backward play. Below is a picture. What are your thoughts on solving this?

Basic Member
    Tighten the bolt assembly screw.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    Well, now I feel like an idiot. Thank you sharpshooter for stating the obvious that I was missing. This is my only savage and I'm learning a lot. Screw took a few turns before it seated properly and now it extracts much more normally. I appreciate the patience with the newbies.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Banned
    LOL! I’m just seeing your 2nd response now. Had you given that info to begin with, I would have saved you some time.

I knew it was primer extraction right away though. Glad it was so simple for you.

Thank you sharpshooter for stating the obvious that I was missing.
    +1.