Thread: Bolt closing a little rough.. go/no go gauges good

Basic Member

Bolt closing a little rough.. go/no go gauges good

Built a .35 remington, action sent to SSS for time and true, enhanced ejector/extractor kit, er shaw barrel, pacific tool and gauge go/no go. (Don't have a field gauge)

So go/no go are good, took it to the range the first time today and shot well. Noticed the bolt started closing kinda tight/rough not really sure how to describe (not terrible just closing harder than normal, didn't do it with the first few shots, not unbearable or overly worrysome)

Didn't notice any odd marks on the spent cartridge, only did it with the cartridge, and as of now I only have 1 type of winchester ammo. Took 10 shots total. Came back and go/no go feel the exact same as during the build.

What could cause this? I feel a lot better since double checking with the go/no go but makes me think I'm on the edge of a spec one direction or another. I feel confident it's safe at least for the season but just wondering about what might cause this? Like I said bolt still closes just a little rougher/tougher vs. Not having a cartridge in (closes good with the GO gauge as well)

Ideas?

Banned
    It’s safe… It’s fine. Just shoot it & have fun.

One thing to note. Never jump to any conclusion having problem with a firearm when you’ve fired only a few rounds of one type of ammunition. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not insinuating you did anything. I’m just offering food for thought. Rest assured though, it’s completely fine.

Basic Member
    Is it difficult to extract the case? Is it difficult to chamber a fired case? If it is just a cartridge that is stiff to load I might guess it could be something in the throat or neck of the chamber. A good cleaning (with a copper remover) might help.

Basic Member
    Had a few cocktails so not going to attempt a multi quote (sorry in advance and thank God for auto correct)

Extracts fine, everything is fine except the bolt handle going down hard (might be a little harsher than described) but still only 1 brand and 1 box of ammo.

Charlie, doubt cleaning since it's the first 10 rounds fired (bore snake and solvent and cooling between shots, per er Shaws instructions)

Dave, thanks for the uplift. Just rather ask here first. Will be my son and wife's gun so want to be 100% safe. Made me feel better after double checking the gauges. Have had several issues with wi chester before so not holding back on that being the culprit (will still shoot winchester as long as it goes boom down and not up range) so no fault to them, new caliber, totally new style build and just safety over performance (which was good so far)

Banned
    Absolutely, you did the right thing. Why I stressed I wasn’t rebuking in any way. Just something to know as we’ve had many newer members here claim this or that issue with their Savage, only to find out after Eleventy-Seven responses the shooter used only 1 type of ammunition, or shot only a handful of rounds, etc. LOL!

I’m thinking you won’t see this with other ammunition. And if you do, no big deal. Just means it’s on the snug side of things as chambers go; and will likely loosen up some with use. And being it’s 35 Remington there really is no pressure danger. It is fairly moderate pressure rifle cartridge after all.

Basic Member
    I agree you should try different ammo.

Savage barrels are not cleaned at the factory. They need a good scrubbing before shooting. More than just a few patches.

If you haven't try cleaning it well, including a copper remover. Bore snakes are bad IMHO. They drag on the edges of the muzzle too much. Get a good rod with a nylon or bronze brush and a jag tip (not slotted).

Savage barrels are also rough. They collect copper and fouling quickly.

Curious what the extractor looks like on the front side, that would "face" the cartridge base. Is there a burr or indention there?

When you head spaced the barrel, did you remove the extractor first, or leave it in while using the Go gauge (I mean originally, when you first installed the barrel).

Some (cheaper) Go gauges have a very sharp rim on them. Some extractors seem a bit "soft" to me. That combination, sharp steel rim + soft faced extractor, can lead to a divot being gouged out of the face of the extractor when performing the head space. Normal cartridge brass is too soft to do this, plus the rim is not "sharp" on brass. But a steel gauge, either "Go" or "No Go", certainly could. If this occurred, the base of the cartridge could be hanging up on the extractor face and not letting it move under spring tension and snapping over the rim.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Check your front action screw, it could be a smidge too long. I've seen this several times that it feels normal until a cartridge is loaded. The cartridge centers up the bolt and it drags in the action screw. Without the cartridge, it has enough float that it does not bind at all.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I headpsaced with the extractor in (ive always done that just been careful to make sure the gauge is in face under the extractor)

I will check the front screw, I did have to replace the action screw with this boyds stock and it appears to clear but ill loosen it up and see if it still does that, that's a great point

Basic Member
    Sorry was on vacation..

Somehow found some hornady rounds at fleet farm so I scooped some up. Closes a tad better with the hornady.

Action screw isn't too long

One thing I noticed is when i back off the front action screw it doesn't do it. If I tighten it down it does it (not over tight just snug), if I back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn it closes fine with a cartridge.

Any ideas?

Still sounds to me like the action screw is too long. Especially since it doesn’t do it when you back off the action screw. It won’t look like it but it doesn’t take much. Although when that’s the case it is usually a tougher bolt lift after firing as well.

12. 09-24-2023, 06:34 PM

Take out the front action screw, put a small washer on it, and put it back in and tighten it normally. If it works fine you’re screw is definitely too long and will need shortened a thread
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Banned
    I agree.

Basic Member
    Will try that this week. Back from vacation, took the boy out Sunday and he got his first buck so it's back in the safe while I'm back on OT

Sweet! Congrats to the boy! Young Fellow Savageshooter!
    Good times and he is hooked now…lol

Banned
    Very cool!

Basic Member
    Well I got the belt sander out and took off about half a thread to a full thread and it's MUCH better! Can't see a mark anywhere on the bolt but that must have been it. Maybe just barely grabbing it? Either way thanks fellas! Seems to have fixed my issue!

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out.