Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Worth It?

Basic Member

Is It Worth It?

I know it`s ultimately my decision, but I respect greatly the opinions of the forum. My Model 12 LRPV is so far capable of easy sub-MOA groups at 100. It`s also printing 4-4.5" 5 shot groups at 500, all with factory ammo, when I don`t screw up the shot. I know the Accutrigger on the gun has some room to lighten up, but I`ve always been a " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it " kind of guy. Also have to admit I`ve not put a gauge on the trigger pull. I`m just hesitant to start taking stuff apart, fooling with action screws, etc. and maybe messing up something that I probably should have left alone in the first place. I also realize that without working up hand loads I`ll probably never fully realize the gun`s true capabilities, regardless. Thanks guys, just interested in thoughts.

Sounds like the rifle is performing very well, especially with factory ammunition. Next step up would be working up precision handloads to see what affect they would have on accuracy (if you handload of course). What factory loads are you using? I've found that Federal Gold medal match performs extremely well in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 to the point I can barely exceed their accuracy with handloading.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Sounds like the rifle is performing very well, especially with factory ammunition. Next step up would be working up precision handloads to see what affect they would have on accuracy (if you handload of course). What factory loads are you using? I've found that Federal Gold medal match performs extremely well in my 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 to the point I can barely exceed their accuracy with handloading.
    The load that I`ve had the best results with has been a 69 grain SMK by Australian Defense Industry ( ADI ). I need to shoot some heavier loads ( 70s ) more than I have since the gun is 1:7.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Accutrigger on the gun has some room to lighten up, but I`ve always been a " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it " kind of guy.
    I am too, if you're happy with it as is, I'd leave it as is. Several of mine are the way they came from the factory my 12FV happens to be one.

Banned
    I agree. Leave it alone. Reloading is key. And I’ll just be honest, if you aren’t mechanically inclined, that means replacing anything would require a Gunsmith.

The load that I`ve had the best results with has been a 69 grain SMK by Australian Defense Industry ( ADI ). I need to shoot some heavier loads ( 70s ) more than I have since the gun is 1:7.
    Get some IMI OTM Mod1 77gr, and in the mil brown box, Do not get it in the fancier box. Reason
    being is, in the mil box, cases are generally the same lot. And in the fancy box like what is sold
    in big box stores, it's mixed. If you do your part. you can cut those groups in half. I shoot this
    ammo in a 20 " Rock River EOP that gives me 3" at 500 yards using a bipod.....SGAmmo is where
    I buy mine in large lots.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. My depth is pretty shallow when it comes to tinkering with guns. I THINK I can tighten things up a tad by concentrating on shooting fundamentals. I know for a fact my trigger pull is not always as smooth as it could/should be.

What rest set up are your using when you shoot?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    What rest set up are your using when you shoot?
    Caldwell Tack Driver front bag, rear squeeze bag. Also have bags for both elbows. Gun`s probably a good 12 lbs or so all up and front end heavy, so it rests solidly in the bag.

Basic Member
    My most recent Savages - 12 FVs - came with Varmint/Target triggers set at 1 lb. 11 oz. and 1 lb. 14 oz. They are still set as they came from the factory.
    My 12 LRP came with the Precision Target trigger (red blade) set at 10 oz.

My older 2008 and 2010 Savages 10 FP and FCP-K law enforcement models came with Varmint/Target triggers set around 3 lbs.
    I adjusted them down to 2 lbs. It is very easy to do, but I would recommend getting a trigger gauge, if you do so. It is very easy to over adjust. If you get the adjustment too light, you will find that almost any side pressure will lock up the trigger and you will have to re-cock the trigger. With a Varmint/Target trigger that happens at around 1.5 lbs. With the Precision Target trigger that happens at around 6 oz.

I think a new LRPV may come with a Precision Target trigger so I would guess it is set low enough to satisfy anyone but a competition benchrest shooter.

I agree with Dave Hobeck that reloading, when you figure out what works best for your rifle, will outperform factory loads.
    All my rifles shoot better with my hand loads than they do with the best factory ammo - by about 25%.

Basic Member
    Ahhh the pursuit of accuracy. Do I do it or stay happy with what you have. Only you know the answer. However the Savage LRPV's are easy to play with. I'm no "smith" but the trigger adjustments are very easy. Just watch a couple of you tube videos. I have also been able to change triggers out of the FV's and replaced them with Rifle Basix triggers set in the 7-9 oz. range. And then you start playing with torqueing of the action screws. Hey , we are just getting started here. LOL. It's a path only you can decide to follow.

Banned
    With some mechanical aptitude yes, I agree. Unfortunately not everyone has any. We have hundreds & hundreds of threads going back years & years of people who thought they could but were wrong! Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for DIY. If a person knows their way around basic tools, can properly use a Vernier Calipers & understands thousandths of an inch, then yes, I encourage watching some “How To’s” and giving things a try. But if “the difference between 1/4” & 3/8” Drive, an Allen or Torx bit, that .040” or 1mm are basically the same”, have an individual perplexed…, then tearing into any firearm for any kind if adjustment, repair or modification is just asking for trouble. There is a whole world of knowledge that a person should learn before attempting anything on a firearm.

Basic Member
    IMHO you are doing as well as your ammo. Much of the std factory .223 ammo I have used was lucky to get to MOA (1" at 100yd, 5" at 500yd, etc). I started reloading the .223 for that reason. You can find some factory ammo such as the IMI Fuj mentioned. There is also the Black Hills and Federal Gold Medal Match. If money is not an issue then Lapua has factory ammo as well. People win matches with premium ammo in this caliber. And, YES, I'd get some 77 or even 80gn loads to try. My cheap Axis in .223 loved 77gn Sierra Match Kings.

I would not mess with the gun except maybe to adjust the trigger. The factory trigger is a good one. I have the varmint trigger (silver blade) on my BVSS and I like it. If you have the red blade target trigger it is considered one of the best for your Savage.

Your factory stock already has an aluminum bedding rail so just torque the screws evenly.

BEWARE!!!! This rifle may become addicting!! Once you start shooting smaller groups you will find you can't stop. Pretty soon you'll want smaller groups. Then you'll make more investments. Pretty soon you will go 'down the rabbit hole' in search of tiny groups and hitting the X ring.

PS where in GA do you shoot at 500yd?

Banned
    Or… like me, you simply do things on your Savage to do them.. Sure, the groups have tightened up…to a point. However, teeny-tiny groups aren’t my sheer focus. For me it’s the doing. Also, I’ve always enjoyed one of a kind firearms. So having a truly unique Savage Model 10 is fun.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    IMHO you are doing as well as your ammo. Much of the std factory .223 ammo I have used was lucky to get to MOA (1" at 100yd, 5" at 500yd, etc). I started reloading the .223 for that reason. You can find some factory ammo such as the IMI Fuj mentioned. There is also the Black Hills and Federal Gold Medal Match. If money is not an issue then Lapua has factory ammo as well. People win matches with premium ammo in this caliber. And, YES, I'd get some 77 or even 80gn loads to try. My cheap Axis in .223 loved 77gn Sierra Match Kings.

I would not mess with the gun except maybe to adjust the trigger. The factory trigger is a good one. I have the varmint trigger (silver blade) on my BVSS and I like it. If you have the red blade target trigger it is considered one of the best for your Savage.

Your factory stock already has an aluminum bedding rail so just torque the screws evenly.

BEWARE!!!! This rifle may become addicting!! Once you start shooting smaller groups you will find you can't stop. Pretty soon you'll want smaller groups. Then you'll make more investments. Pretty soon you will go 'down the rabbit hole' in search of tiny groups and hitting the X ring.

PS where in GA do you shoot at 500yd?
    Charlie, yes, I`ve pretty much become addicted to the pursuit of smaller groups, thanks to this rifle! In a very short time I`ve gone from, " No way I could ever hit ANYTHING at 500 yards with a rifle " to being disappointed in a group over 5" at 500. I`m trying now to better my best group of 4.25 ". I`m finding it to be quite the challenge!
    To answer your question, 17 South Rod and Gun Club in Richmond Hill, GA. Bedroom community of Savannah. Only range over 100 yards within relatively reasonable driving distance. There are tentative plans to expand to 1K for the range. Lord knows gun and scope wise what I might have to do then, LOL!

Basic Member
    I'll have to look that one up. Daughter lives in Columbia, son in Jacksonville. I'm lucky that we have a nice city run 1000yd range. Free for anyone.

Yep, this accuracy thing bit me in the butt too. Started with an Axis bolt in .223 cause I thought, cheap ammo, no need to reload, just go out and shoot. Did ok with it until I got some Federal GMM. Figured out I'd go broke quickly buying that stuff and dug out the reloading stuff that I had put away a decade past.

So, now that you are addicted.... :) Reloading stuff should be first on your list. Will save you thousands in the long run but is time intensive so you have to choose your path wisely :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I'll have to look that one up. Daughter lives in Columbia, son in Jacksonville. I'm lucky that we have a nice city run 1000yd range. Free for anyone.

Yep, this accuracy thing bit me in the butt too. Started with an Axis bolt in .223 cause I thought, cheap ammo, no need to reload, just go out and shoot. Did ok with it until I got some Federal GMM. Figured out I'd go broke quickly buying that stuff and dug out the reloading stuff that I had put away a decade past.

So, now that you are addicted.... :) Reloading stuff should be first on your list. Will save you thousands in the long run but is time intensive so you have to choose your path wisely :)
    Charlie, you`re EXTREMELY fortunate to have a well run, FREE, 1K range. I`m sure you know that, though. With the exception of the very nice state range ( 100 yards only, unfortunately ), you pay a pretty penny around here to shoot ANYTHING pretty much, certainly when it comes to mid and long range rifle shooting.
    I`m completely aware of handicaps with not hand loading. My major issue is space. It`s my impression that one needs dedicated and very organized space to hand load properly. As I said before, I`m fortunate that my gun seems to like somewhat less expensive .223 loads ( ADI, Frontier ) that, while in no way customized hand loads, at least afford an opportunity for good results. I agree, a steady diet of the Federal GMM level ammunition would get really dear, really quick!

Banned
    Big reason I miss Arizona so much. Basically my back yard was a long distance range! 1000yds…. 1500yds…a mile or more! Whatever I wanted.

Basic Member
    Yes, those of us who have lived in the wide open spaces do appreciate it, even if it means a total of 4-6" of rain a year, if we are lucky. But then, I can drive 3 hours and be at 10,000 ft or 8hrs and be in the Colorado Rockies. Just got back from a weekend fishing trip on the San Juan River. One rainbow I caught measured 23", others were 'only' 18 to 20 range :)

Reloading does not need a lot of space. I started with the Lee "Whack a Mole" kit on a coffee table in the living room. For many years after that I reloaded on the kitchen table. My Lee Turret Press came with a maple box that turned into a mount for the press (they don't sell those boxes anymore for some reason). Electronic scales work on most surfaces and are compact (get a decent one). Heck, a lot of benchrest shooters reload at the firing range in tents or popups. I reloaded a lot of rounds in my RV's using a similar setup. Fishing tackle boxes are good for storing things like dies, powder measures, boxes of bullets, brass, etc. When done just put it up on a shelf in a closet or pantry.

It is also fairly easy for time. Set up to deprime and size brass in one session. Next session inspect brass, wipe, do any other prep, prime (I recommend a hand primer). Next session charge the cases and seat the bullets. Done. I still reload that way much of the time.

PS my load bench right now fits in half a closet.

Another idea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-qxD-6qnw&t=197s

And just to be complete, a lot of preppers put together a 'pack kit' with a Lee hand press and set of dies. Reload on the recliner in front of the tv (disclaimer, when charging cases do not watch TV, easy to be distracted and mess up the load).

Banned
    3 hours?? I was able to dive to the top of Mount Lemmon (almost 10’000ft) in about an hour to hang out up there! Only time I ever saw an Arizona Black Rattlesnake was up there. Yeah, what a great getaway from the worst heat that was. The Mt. Lemmon Cafe. Still the best homemade Chile & pie I’ve ever had. Good memories.

Team Savage

I`m completely aware of handicaps with not hand loading. My major issue is space. It`s my impression that one needs dedicated and very organized space to hand load properly.
    I've seen operating table clean to how you can find anything in that pile of stuff loading benches as well as fit in a closet setups too. When starting out it's good practice to have a clean, quiet, work space. Distractions are the worst possible scenario when starting out, attention to detail is critical.

That said, I find time at the bench calming, therapeutic, and enjoyable. Like Charlie said, start small and simple, the fundamentals are more important than the latest greatest do it all system. Plenty of time to ugrade and expand later.

Team Savage
    I know it`s ultimately my decision, but I respect greatly the opinions of the forum. My Model 12 LRPV is so far capable of easy sub-MOA groups at 100. It`s also printing 4-4.5" 5 shot groups at 500, all with factory ammo, when I don`t screw up the shot. I know the Accutrigger on the gun has some room to lighten up, but I`ve always been a " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it " kind of guy. Also have to admit I`ve not put a gauge on the trigger pull. I`m just hesitant to start taking stuff apart, fooling with action screws, etc. and maybe messing up something that I probably should have left alone in the first place. I also realize that without working up hand loads I`ll probably never fully realize the gun`s true capabilities, regardless. Thanks guys, just interested in thoughts.
    Try some hand loads. But you have to find the load/bullet that your rifle likes.
    I had a Savage Varmint rifle in 223, and with factory match loads it would shoot 1 inch or so.
    However with hand loads with one particular bullet it would shoot 3/8" at 100 yards all day long.

I also had a 6mm BR barrel on that same action and it wasn't shooting so hot until I found the magic load on the 6mmBR website.
    With that load, I was immediately shooting 3/4" groups at 300 yards if I was doing my part.

Banned
    I very honestly wouldn’t touch a thing. Especially if your range is expanding to 1K yards! You are Going to want to rebarrel the very day you have access to that range. While you certainly can use 223 to shoot out to 1,000, it’s not practical. Anything other than dead calm, even a slight breeze, just pushes those 22cal bullets all over the place. You’ll likely want to go to 6.5 Creedmoor. Especially if you want to continue using factory ammunition.

Unless of course, you simply just get a second rifle when the time comes…to better handle the extra target distance. Certainly an option. 223 is among my favorite cartridges & I will always have a rifle chambered for it. However, I’m not a fan of 223 in Bolt Guns. I prefer my AR15 for 223 affairs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I very honestly wouldn’t touch a thing. Especially if your range is expanding to 1K yards! You are Going to want to rebarrel the very day you have access to that range. While you certainly can use 223 to shoot out to 1,000, it’s not practical. Anything other than dead calm, even a slight breeze, just pushes those 22cal bullets all over the place. You’ll likely want to go to 6.5 Creedmoor. Especially if you want to continue using factory ammunition.

Unless of course, you simply just get a second rifle when the time comes…to better handle the extra target distance. Certainly an option. 223 is among my favorite cartridges & I will always have a rifle chambered for it. However, I’m not a fan of 223 in Bolt Guns. I prefer my AR15 for 223 affairs.

That`s funny, Dave! LOL, I just started casually looking at rifles in 6.5 Creed a couple of days ago. Plenty to pick from! I think it`ll be a while, though, before they can expand the shooting range.

Banned
    Not my first Ro_de_o partner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast