Thread: Brake Question

Brake Question

Have a Contender 6mmBullberry IMP full bull pistol barrel. Am wanting to eliminate as much of recoil as possible. What type and brand of muzzle brake do I need? Never been much of a brake guy but thought I would give it a try. Want to use a rifle scope. Who would you recommend doing the installation? What would be an appropriate cost? All input appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Basic Member
    A lot of guys use the Holland brakes, I have never used one though. The most effective that I have is a JP Recoil Eliminator. On a 308 Winchester Encore it will actually pull the gun away from you very slightly...it is very loud though.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by cknight814 View Post
    A lot of guys use the Holland brakes, I have never used one though. The most effective that I have is a JP Recoil Eliminator. On a 308 Winchester Encore it will actually pull the gun away from you very slightly...it is very loud though.
    I agree with Mr Knight JP brakes are proven the best brake I have used, I got used to the Howitzer look at the end of my barrel and smile each time I touch of a 338 Fed or 307 AI, I no longer have 300 win mags but my then 5' 110# 12 year old daughter could shoot 2 boxes at a sitting from a 26" barrel with out the brake maybe 5 rounds, EABCO was the one company selling and installing, But you can buy direct. these days however I find my self buying the Tank style brakes of Ebay, way less money and I have a local Machinists Machinist to have them installed, Do you know crashdoyle

Doug,
    I have a Holland Brake on a 280 AI pistol barrel. I have to back my eye off a rifle scope on that set up. I have a less expensive Ross brake on a 226 jdj and can get a full view with a rifle scope on that set up. I would think the recoil of 6mm Bullberry would fall in between my two braked set ups. I think a Holland would work for you.
    the 280ai is very loud, it’s uncomfortable for people on adjacent benches.

The side discharge brakes do well with rearward thrust but the pistol can still raise the barrel or hop on recoiling. Mine only has two small drilled holes on top of the brake so it hops a little. I installed a Vias radial brake and it lowered the impact point 3 inches at 100 yds, with not much recoil difference felt . This was on a 14 in 300 Whisper barrel with midrange loaded 150 gr bullets . With your heavy barrel either should work but I would go with a solid bottom radial brake. Both are very loud, with the side discharge being [WAY MORE] very unfriendly to anyone to sitting to either side of you.

Have you thought about a suppressor ? I use one on a .307 Encore barrel and it helps quite a bit. I have not used a lot of brakes but have shot a few, one of the best ones I own is a Bullberry integral brake on a .375 Winchester Contender barrel, you might be able to get a retrofit from them.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Team Savage
    Harrell's is probably the cheapest and they work. If you have a machine shop available, they can thread the barrel. Just remember "plugs and muffs", they are loud.

First let me say thanks for all the input. I finally decided what brake. Went with the GEN 3 Little Bastard (APAs recommendation). Was intrigued by the top port adjustment to help stay on target after shot. It arrived Thursday and departed Thursday as well. It is now on its way to Troy at BullBerry for barrel threading and installation. Also having barrel bead blasted and matte finished as well as two holes added to accommodate six-hole BB scope base. Will post pictures after final assembly with range report. Again, thanks to all.
    Safe Shooting
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Have Fat Bastard on a 7stw and 28 Nosler Strikers with rifle scopes. I think they work well.
    Also easy to move to another barrel if needed
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    I have a Bullberry integral on my 7BR Encore barrel works fine. I shoot smaller rounds, including 6mm TCU, on a Contender with no brake. Most of my Contender and Encore barrels wear rifle scopes and no brake. However, I'm considering a J&P on a .308 SSP-91, got some no name [can't remember] brake and it is still a hand-full. You would probably get the most reduction with a J&P, but Harrell's has a pretty good rep as well.
    As others have said, take care of your ears, these things direct concussion back towards the shooter. Also, some ranges are picky about the use of brakes.

I see you have your brake already, but someone else may have a similar question. Years ago I had a stainless Encore in 375 JDJ that had a really nice integral, threaded brake done by Williams Sight Co. It was with the holes done in W’s, and surprisingly extremely effective, turning that thing into a p ussycat to shoot. I have no idea if Williams still does such a thing. It really was fantastic work with a totally seamless fit.