Thread: Rangefinders

Basic Member

Rangefinders

Hello
    I have a 20yr old Bushnell range finder that works well in the open, but has a very hard time giving ranges in the timber.
    Are today's range finders better in that respect?
    I primarily hunt in midwest small timbers along open fields.
    Thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Banned
    Of course yes… just as everything else, rangefinders have become more precise in every way. Same reason prices have come down in that time. I will say though, 20 years is a pretty good run for any electrical device. I will say though, 20years is a good stretch of service for any electronic device. Tarnish/corrosion buildup on circuits, aging haze of the laser optics & such are bound to limit some of its precision as when new.

Basic Member
    Lasers have improved so much in the last decade it is hard to even describe. Especially the cost. The dia of the laser beam is a bit smaller than it used to be and power is up. The problems with timber are keeping the laser only on the target and not the surrounding trees (or those that may be between you and the target). So it mainly depends on how steady you hold it. Anytime something else comes into the center of view it may obstruct or confuse the laser.

To combat some of this most lasers take many readings and then electronically filter out what they think are the garbage. Again, the newer stuff is better at this.

I have a Nikon ProStaff 1000i that works very well for the 400 yards (extreme 600 yards) I might ever need on animals. Much of my hunting is in mature hemlocks and the edges where there is brushy cover. I have to brace it well for "windows" but it does read into them. And the angle compensation is nice as my property is hilly. At around $200 it was/is a good option for hunters.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thank you
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !