Thread: Savage Barrel ???

Savage Barrel ???

Ok so I recently got this old flat back 110..it was a rusty nightmare and in the process of disassembly and cleaning I've found that it has been glass bedded and barrel floated...so that was great...the weirdness starts in that there are no marks of any kind on the action or barrel that say Savage...I know what kind of action it is of course but is that an aftermarket barrel????...it's 26"--25-06...I need some knowledge guys..thanx so much

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Banned
    The Action is from 1991. I’d say yes it’s aftermarket. I believe only a select few specific models were built with factory 26” Barrel.

I’m also pretty certain almost all Savage factory barrels through the 90’s were marked like this one below. All mine from the 90’s & 2000’s were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The Action is from 1991. I’d say yes it’s aftermarket. I believe only a select few specific models were built with factory 26” Barrel.

I’m also pretty certain almost all Savage factory barrels through the 90’s were marked like this one below. All mine from the 90’s & 2000’s were.
    So I wonder how I could find out more about the barrel???...I'm going to look for anymore clues tonight...thanx for the info

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Ok this was on the other side...it's an old build that someone had as a hunting rifle...left in a case,surface rusted and then they got rid of it...I'm third owner and both previous owners used the rifle...I test fired it ,it functions flawlessly and the trigger is great...so I'm doing a clean up /resto?/unfunking...I'll post picks when I figure out where in here to properly do it....and thanx guys

Any stamp markings on the chamber end of the barrel?
    I agree with Dave that it looks to be some brand of aftermarket barrel. For your safety check the headspace before you use it since you dont know who installed the barrel. The stamping on the side looks like I did it…lol

Also, if you reload and don’t have brass yet LMK. I have a bunch of primed brass(like 4-500) that I just pulled bullets from, and will just need the neck resized to load it. And given the availability of brass and large rifle primers I don’t wanna throw them away. Just hoping to-recover some of the cost for the primers and brass.

By law, any firearm manufactured or imported for sale in the United States is to have a makers stamp on it to include the name of the maker and their location. Can't recall if that's part of the National Firearms Act of 1933 or the Gun Control Act of 1968, but it's one or the other.

Most gunsmiths just have a cheap set of individual stamping dies to mark their barrels with the chambering and twist, so when you see the individual numbers not in a nice straight line or evenly spaced it's usually a pretty clear indication it's either an aftermarket barrel or a retrofitted/reworked barrel that originated on some other gun. The latter is rarely seen on Savage's due to the larger shank diameter of their barrels and lack of a shoulder for headspacing.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I also have a 1991 Fxxxxxx that was originally 22-250 - it had a 26" heavy varmint barrel and was marked with all the Savage stuff like CT&M's pic.
    I installed an aftermarket barrel (26" varmint 260 Rem) and it was marked with just the cal like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
    I installed an aftermarket barrel (26" varmint 260 Rem) and it was marked with just the cal like yours.
    Who was the maker of your aftermarket barrel?

To me it looks like maybe a gunsmith bought a blank and finished it, then stamped it like that? I’d like to think a barrel manufacturer would be able to be a little neater than that?

Banned
    Yes, I agree.. looks like a private gunsmith replaced the barrel with a blank and those are his “Makers Marks”. Some craftsmen choose not to be very LOUD with marking their work. I am among that group. Below is a closeup of my Maker’s Mark that I etch into every blade I make. That’s it, nothing else. I don’t put my name or anything else. I’ve never been a fan of lots of writing & big loud signs all over my guns & knives. So when I started making them, I put only the one small etching. Just a little picture I designed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    By law, any firearm manufactured or imported for sale in the United States is to have a makers stamp on it to include the name of the maker and their location. Can't recall if that's part of the National Firearms Act of 1933 or the Gun Control Act of 1968, but it's one or the other.

Most gunsmiths just have a cheap set of individual stamping dies to mark their barrels with the chambering and twist, so when you see the individual numbers not in a nice straight line or evenly spaced it's usually a pretty clear indication it's either an aftermarket barrel or a retrofitted/reworked barrel that originated on some other gun. The latter is rarely seen on Savage's due to the larger shank diameter of their barrels and lack of a shoulder for headspacing.
    I guess this means many of us out here are “un convicted felons” ? At this point in time, all My Savages are nothing but the fire arm serial number on the action. The action body “is” the weapon. On AR’s, the lower ‘is” the weapon. Same with TC’s and on and on. Jim, I don’t doubt for an in instant what You say is correct. But it sure looks like a lot of us are giving the “ feds” an excuse to yell search warrant and bash our door in.

Banned
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 was the big one. It stopped all Interstate travel of firearms to/from persons not licensed. But the law only applies to firearms exchanging hands. So any firearm bought, sold or given freely, must be serialized. This does not apply to firearms a person makes for their own personal use. This includes machining one’s own Lower/Frame. Even making a “Zip” gun for personal use is perfectly legal.

Basic Member
    Interesting discussion as I thought the receiver had to have the mfg name (or mark) on it as well. I've never really paid attention to it. The only ones I 'made' were muzzle loaders so the laws where I were did not have any effect, ie, they were not considered 'firearms'.

Banned
    Serial number MUST be on the Action/Frame, etc.; whatever the NFA “part” is. The manufacturer‘s Name & where it was produced must be on the Frame, Receiver or Barrel, as per ATF’s NFA section 7.4.2 https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...ter-7/download

Savage has always had the Name/location on Barrel, and since they were produced prior to 1966 Act, they were Grandfathered in, making it legal to continue having only the Serial number on the Action.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave.

That's kinda interesting. If a barreled receiver is made only the serial number is required on the receiver and the rest of the information can be on the barrel. But, if a receiver is made and sold as is then it seems the ser no, mfg name, date, etc be placed on the receiver as well.

Banned
    No, today any New Design firearm must have the Serial Number, Manufacturer Name & Place of origin etched, stamped or machined a minimum of .003” into the surface. Only firearms Grandfathered in could continue doing what they did. Savage never had the name or location on the Action. Always on the Barrel. But any new design must have all ​information. Section 7.4.5 in the Act discusses this.

Basic Member
    7.4.5 was the section I looked at. It refers to the sale of bare actions only.

"Firearms frames or receivers that are not components of complete firearms at the time of disposition"

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Savage never had the name or location on the Action. Always on the Barrel.
    Wrong Dave, in fact, the very first 110s produced did indeed have the manufacturer's name and location on the action, go back and review the pics of my 1st year 110.

The only info stamped on the factory barrel was the caliber, circle with "SP", "Savage Proof" and caliber, and oval stamp containing the inspector's ID # and the alpha character for year of manufacture.

Back on topic with the OPs question, no, it's not a factory barrel.

Banned
    Fair enough. Post edited for what Phil brought to attention.

18. 09-07-2023, 02:46 PM

Not sure what happened to my last post. Hit the send button and it deleted everything?

Oh well I’m not typing it again. I’m already tired of reading thru a pissing contest about who knows more. The OP was satisfied with the responses 10-12 posts ago.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Not sure what happened to my last post. Hit the send button and it deleted everything?

Oh well I’m not typing it again. I’m already tired of reading thru a pissing contest about who knows more. The OP was satisfied with the responses 10-12 posts ago.
    Your not the only one these deletions happen to. It is annoying. Can’t seem to get an answer as to why. Almost seems like there is a “timer” that decides, that’s enough for You ... Delete ??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post

pdog, how do you get “pissing contest” from any of that? It’s a simple discussion. Many of us here are interested in discussions about these things. For many years discussions have evolved into several different topics. What’s wrong with that? Nobody is in a contest. Not as far as I’ve read. When a point is addressed, someone else may expound on it. I’ve always appreciated that to read something I may not have known. I’m glad Phil mentioned his 1st year having all the info on the Action because it’s something I didn’t know. Now I do. Sorry you’re “tired” of it, and feel the way you do. But no one is forcing you to be here or to take part in any thread. You smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in partner?

And yes, that thing with posting happens at times. Or it posts double sometimes. Just a glitch in the Matrix I guess.

There is a terd in the punchbowl.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Pretty certain all the pre-66 110s are stamped on the receiver. I can't say about what happened in '67 and beyond because my next newest 110 was produced in the 80's.

I always verify prior to making an absolute statement, just sayin'.