Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time Savage Build, questions and progress

Team Savage

First time Savage Build, questions and progress

I've been reading threads here on Savage Shooters (still have some content to read) and would like to lay out my plan, get advice and suggestions.
    This will a 'Present' (Christmas, barrel might make it a Valentines) for the wife who is currently shooting a kitchen assembled AR in F-Open Midrange.
    If it weren't for fliers :) see would be a good shooter.

The current rifle is a side charge, minimally gassed, 28" bull from X-Caliber, weighing in (with some lead and a home made 2.5 pound bag rider) @ 20 pounds, with a 6.8 SPC bolt to shoot 22 Nosgar (necked 6mm Hagar).
    Quick pic of the rifle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-Open-22N.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	9791
    To shoot the 22 Nosler (.378 bolt head) or 22 Nosgar (.425 bolt head). The OAL of the 22N loaded long with 85.5 Bergers is about 2.52". Case body is the same as the 224V/6.8SPC ( .422 diameter), just longer. We both use single shot followers and .223 or 6.8 mags work with the followers.

So, on to the Bolt Gun.
    The barrel will be a Shilen 28" bull in 22N.
    Selected a Model 10 AICS receiver from NSS.

I know I could have gone cheaper with a used donor rifle, but receiver is on order, waiting for my FFL to get off his butt and send in his paperwork (just being mean, he has a day job).
    It's a short action, side bolt release, Accu-Trigger, small pin, with a .308 bolt face and mag, with AICS bottom metal (likely plastic?).
    https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...vage-model-10/
    I know I will need a bolt head, I plan on both .223 and 6.8, plus bolt completion parts.

First question: will I also need a .223 bolt collar to replace the 308 for the shorter cartridge?

If I go with a mag and a single shot follower, cartridge diameter is between .308 and .223, which would be easier to mod?

If I go blind with just a single shot follower, would a glue in work? The stock 'might' be a closed bottom laminated wood in a color pattern she picked. Have a few options for a source.

Are there any other NECESSARY mods to this receiver to make it work with this cartridge.

I would like to get it working without significant modifications for now.
    I will post progress once parts start coming in.

1)You don't actually have to have the extended front baffle, you could work with the standard and get the extended model if you just need it.
    2)You can single round load with the magazine in place(setting the round on top of the mag lips) or you can use something like the Fred Sled. You would need a single shot loading ramp if you did something without a magazine. Sharp Shooter Supply has what you need. The 223 mag is a close fit. check it out
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Thanks for the info.
    I guess the extended baffle is just to limit bolt travel with shorter cartridges?

The stock she liked was the LPBR from SSS.

Name:	LPBR Blue.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	9792
    Got an e-mail reply from Lisa and it can be done closed bottom.
    It is already pillar bedded. Maybe a 4 to 6 week delivery (maybe?).
    I can add the loading ramp.
    The only thing is mailing the order form that seems different from any other suppliers.
    Since I don't see this heavy rifle being used for anything but prone slowfire the closed bottom/loading ramp seems like a good fit for her style.
    Need to make a decision on stock because I have all this money just burning a hole in my pocket :)

So far I have ordered Receiver, barrel, barrel nut and recoil lug. Have access to wrench and vice.
    Ordered the 6.8 bolt head, stripped from PTG then found Grizzly has it in stock with free shipping. Oh well.

Will need bolt head completion parts. (I have 3.5mm ball bearings already, about 0.138").
    Adding a couple kits in with the stock order would save a separate shipping charge.
    Will need a .223 bolt head, sometime before barrel gets here.
    After it's been shot I will look into a Rifle Basix SAV-2.
    Black Friday/Cyber Monday is just to far away. Maybe.

Banned
    Sounds good. Ahh…. “Kitchen assembled” AR build! Yeah, I remember those. My first AR build looked quite similar to picture. And could it shoot! I so proud of it. And the many, many AK47’s before it. That was 2005! I’ve lost count of the AR’s I’ve done; and been machining my own Lowers for several years now. (80% Billets). Even the pistol I carry every day was I machined from an 80-frame built. So I know the fun of it. Someone recently commented here they thought they enjoyed assembling Savages as much as shooting them. I answered absolutely! Because I sincerely DO! Your lucky.. it sounds like you also enjoy building/assembling firearms yourself as well. Savages are among the most fun to build up & work on. They respond very well to a bit of upgrading. Be ready for your Savage 110 to make your AR look like a Blunderbuss, accuracy wise! LOL! (Ok, ok… not quite like that. But it should surpass most any AR.) Looking forward to it coming together.

Team Savage
    Thanks Dave,
    I've come a long way with rifles.
    I can remember going to the range and quickly working our way out to a full 100 yards :)

Pretty knowledgeable about the guns I own. That's part of the fun. Digging into how each little part works, why this or that machining cut was made.
    I've got a few SKS, Mosin 91/30, a pass down 1903 Mark 1, wife has a couple old war rifles. Her favorite is her little Swedish girl gun.

One issue is evaluating performance as we get better. Sort of negates old data.
    You can't make little changes if you can't shoot them.
    Now, as far as kitchen built ARs go (especially in 22N) we don't score in the top, or the bottom at local matches, against guns that cost as much as my second hand pickup.
    Imagine falling behind a girl shooting an AR/22N @ 600. That's gotta hurt :)

This Savage project is (will be) as much for me to put it together as it is for her to shoot (I hope).
    Waiting is a pain though.

Really glad I found this site. There's still a few old threads I haven't read, yet.
    I appreciate all the positive support.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the club. I sense you may be on your way down the rabbit hole seeking smaller groups and higher scores. :) Some of it takes money, a lot of it is just attention to details.

Banned
    Rocket, my advice is teach yourself to appreciate the wait. Waiting was always a part of my gun builds. Mostly because of finances. And of course, several times due to part availability.. LOL! But I learned waiting was never idle time. It taught me to learn all I could about what I was doing. The research became part of the fun. I sure you know where it’s finished it’s finished. Have you ever read about Alexander the Great, King of Macedonia in the 4th century BC? Attributed to him is in seeing the wake of his Kingdom, he sat & wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. He had conquered the known world at the time. (Of course this is folklore, the first writing of this comes from the 16th century AD.)

The point is to appreciate the wait. In doing so it teaches incredible patience. And patience is of course a virtue.

The first build is always exciting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Team Savage
    @Rotag
    Tell me about the bits and pieces.
    In the bench picture, did you wash it down with the hose?

Basic Member
    LOL I bet he did since it's an air hose

The previous pic looked like my shipment from NSS when I did my first one (except for bottom metal and mags).

Have fun, it is worth it.

Team Savage
    Appreciate the Wait !!!
    I'm old, can't afford to wait, LOL.
    So, email to both FFL and James about FFL copy should get this receiver on it's way soon.
    ---FFL issue resolved.
    Barrel? Well that's long lead item. Christmas present? Maybe.
    Stock, wife is retired mil, SSS offers a discount, email sent.
    Once details are finalized I'll head up to the post office for a M.O.

Wait?
    Ha, ordered a .243 second hand barrel from J&A/E-Bay for $71 + tax.
    I have some left over .243 ammo and brass.
    Not the thing for what we want but it will get something to go bang sooner.
    Hey, it's only money :)

First part is on the kitchen counter, Bolt head for the 22 Nosgar case.

Name:	6.8-bolt-head.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	9804
    Update on build
    Temporary barrel (.243) and Receiver should ship today (9/6). Both should be delivered Monday, one to me, one to FFL.
    Some small parts on the way.
    FFL/Range is an hour away, we go tomorrow for some trigger time with the ARs.
    Still debating about going early next week to pick up receiver or wait until the following Saturday (600 Match).
    Maybe get in some more trigger time before the match?
    Money Order for the stock on the way to Ohio.
    Will mail off the dummy rounds to Shilen next week.

Received trued nut and lug from NSS.
    Temporary barrel (used) came in from J&A/E-Bay. 0.243, 22" seems to be about 1:9.5, 0.560 muzzle. Borescope OK.
    Last edited by Rocketvapor; 09-08-2023 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Update

Team Savage
    She's really looking forward to the Savage bolt gun.
    Here's her latest range trip with the AR.
    Charge range 31.0 to 31.5gr SB6.5, normal is 31.4.
    Then 5 shot groups with CCI450, WIN41, and GINEX

Name:	Flo-Primer-Test.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	9814
    Going with the Win41, 31.35gr SB6.5, 85.5, CBTO 1.910"

I photoshopped all 6 targets into one (need one of those neat graphic ballistic programs)

Name:	Flo-Primer-Test-30.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	9816

Team Savage
    Now to think about a scope mount.
    Have a few mid priced scopes mounted on AR uppers with hundred dollar Warne 20MOA extended one piece mounts.
    Flo is currently using a Bushnell XRS2, I have an Athlon Cronus Gen 2, and a Burris XTR2, and an Element Titan, all 34mm.
    Have an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34X56 and a 30mm zero MOA mount.
    All about the same height, 1.45" I think. Gives a height above bore of about 2.7" with the AR.
    The receiver comes with a 20MOA rail. I don' see us needing 20 +20.
    I don't plan on another scope any time soon.

Once the stock gets here we can play with scope height and position, cheek pad and LOP.
    Guess I'll mount up one for the temporary .243 barrel and order rings or a mount for one of the 34mm scopes if the height turns out to be different.
    NOT going $300 for rings :)

What do most end up with for a scope to bore height for prone rest and bag?

BTW, the little .243 barrel almost looks like a toy :)

Name:	barrels.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	9815

Banned
    You are going to find most people here prefer the lowest possible rings they can find, so the scope objective is but a couple millimeters off the barrel. I on the other hand, like to give the scope a bit of breathing room, as I like more in-line Chassis over any traditional style stock, and also prefer a over barrel for arm instead of open. So generally I need them a bit higher anyway. Currently I run a Talley 20moa Picatinny rail & Audere 34mm/34mm PSR Rings. They are 34mm tube diam. & 34mm high. (Approx 1.34”) I rec. going the way you already mentioned. Measure yourself & choose the height you are comfortable with.

yo

Prone shooters mostly use the lowest mount for their scope. Free recoil shooting like the BR guys do, higher is better to not contact the rifle during strings of fire.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Thanks to both of you.

With a 56mm scope (60mm bell) and .333 degrees downward tilt, and a 1/4" high rail on the receiver, 3/4 inch will probably touch the barrel, 1.45" will give plenty of clearance but might be too high. When the stock gets here we'll mount a scope and play (using the little toy barrel :) ).

I might have a couple old scopes with rings, maybe 1 inch, 1.25" to test height.
    Buying a set of rings is only days, not months.

Then there's always Kydex 1/8 or 1/4 for a cheek rest.
    Or hobby foam like I did to my AR. Tacky spray glue.
    As long as I don't do anything to mess up her pretty stock.

Sorry for the late reply I bought a reviver from northern shooter supply. Then a trued .223 bottle face from another company. Buts and pieces are springs indent ball and ejector. Took the bolt apart and reinstalled all the parts in the .223 bolt face and set the firing pin travel probably the hardest part. Then used a set of go no go gauges also in baggies. In the end I used a piece of painters tape for the nogo then reinstalled the ejector.

I didn’t hose it down I am just shooting between rain storms.

Team Savage
    Doing about the same thing.
    Receiver to be delivered Monday, will pick it up next range trip.
    Shilen barrel still a ways out so bought a used 243 barrel to shoot when the stock gets here.
    Have a 6.8 bolt head for the 22 Nosgar.
    Bits and pieces, bolt completion parts, single shot sled, as I find them.
    Will get a .223 bolt for the 22 Nosler brass.

New question:
    Other than setting headspace with the barrel, will there be a difference when changing just bolt heads from 6.8 to 223?

Banned
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketvapor View Post
    Other than setting headspace with the barrel, will there be a difference when changing just bolt heads from 6.8 to 223?
    Changing bolt heads, you should check headspace. There is no guarantee that lug thickness and bolt face
    depths are the same on each.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage
    Once I have both bolts (6.8 and .223) I will check for head space variance.
    Just like AR bolts, measuring lug and face. I have been lucky there as I have no more than 0.001" difference (lug and face) over several bolts for the 22 Nosgar (6.8/224V) and my 22 Nosler (.223 bolt).
    Will start with the .243 barrel with the .308 bolthead for a month or two and change out when the Shilen 22N barrel gets here.
    I don't expect to be changing daily :)

Just received my new AR barrel from X-Caliber.
    Won't have time to assemble and get to the range before the next match so it's the old barrel for now.
    Will borescope, pin, measure extension and mount in a BCA side charge upper.
    Already looks like I will have to do my normal spray on shim thermal fit with the BCA upper (slips most of the way in).

Team Savage
    Went to the Bogalusa range yesterday as a final practice session before the match Saturday.
    I shot 25 rounds and stayed within 2MOA @ 600.
    Have the new barrel in hand but no time to swap before match so it's one more time with the shot out barrel.

Also picked up Flo's Savage receiver from Jake.
    Sent off dummies for the Shilen barrel.
    Hoping for a good showing with her AR for the next couple of matches while we wait on barrel/stock for her bolt gun.
    She shot at 600yds, adjusted scope, and went too far.
    Up 3 clicks to 3.5 mils. Groups were good though.

Nothing that would be called fliers this time out.

Name:	Flo-9-13-23-600yds.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	9821
    Was cooler and velocities were about 12-15fps lower @ 600yds than a hot day.
    Didn't compare environments in the computer.
    She will likely need to adj with sighters Saturday.

Basic Member
    That's pretty darn good :)

Team Savage
    Well, she had some issues but still had a couple OK strings.
    Still a ways to go for Master
    If we had a stock I could put together a .243 just to play with :)
    Bought a RB SAV-2 trigger but will wait until she has some time with the Accutrigger.

I have shot the last rounds through my old AR barrel. Going to measure, scope and assemble another upper with the NEW barrel.
    I quit early as I didn't want to shoot out a sensor. Just kept getting worse and worse.
    Would never have thought a barrel could go so far down. Real close to 3500 rounds.
    This thing is worse than my Mosin 91/30.

Name:	Screenshot_20230916_100529_.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	9827

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast