Thread: New 110 Tactical with terrible accuracy isssues

Exclamation New 110 Tactical with terrible accuracy isssues

Hello everybody, this is my first post. Ive come seeking council. I got this 110 tactical in 6.5PRC about a week ago. Super cool rifle, love the stock and the AICS magazines, 24" barrel, and of course the 6.5PRC cartridge.
    I saw this as an upgrade from my 6.5 Creedmoor, which ive been loading and shooting for a couple years now. The creedmoor is a Ruger American Hunter and it is laser accurate, and the action is butter smooth. The 110 action is not as smooth but i can get used to it.
    One thing I cant get used to is the totally unacceptable groups i'm getting at 100 yds:

This is with factory loaded Hornady 147gn ELDMs at 100 yards
    I know this isnt a $3000 custom PRS rifle but this is unacceptable, right? My Ruger would have put them all in the red dot, and that is not an expensive rifle either.

So I cleaned the bore thoroughly and put a flashlight in the chamber to see whatever i can see, turns out i didnt have to look very far down the bore:

Right at the muzzle there appears to be a rough spot on the bore. It has a copper color probably because its been snagging bullet jackets on the way out, and having a profound effect on accuracy.

What can I do about this? Should i try to smooth it out somehow? What will Savage do about it if i call them? When i found this I went and registered my warranty, still within the 10 day window to register.

Banned
    They will likely do something if you contact them. However, I’m pretty sure they will deem that grouping is within Savage’s specs using factory ammo.

Basic Member
    thats not what is causing the issue you are having. First thing is to check to make sure everything is tight. Savages have a problem with the front scope mount screws being too long and bottoming out on the barrel threads instead of the mount. Take off the rear screws and then take one screw out of the front and see if the mount rocks. If it does then there is a problem. If not, put that screw back in and take out the next front one. If it rocks then the other screw is too long. If not then you are good.

Next thing is action screws. Every rifle seems to like them tightened different. But you will have to play with them to see. And the front might be different from the rear.

You can try to call or email Savage but they will not pay for you to ship the rifle into them. Your best bet is to take it back to where you got it and see if they can send it in for you. I have had to send a few back and I always just send the barreled action back. Shipping is too expensive to send the whole rifle in if you don't have to.

It simply may not like that ammo. That muzzle area looks butchered, or is that some type of grease ??
    Either way, and since I can, I'd re-crown that barrel
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    ^Yes, That is one ugly crown^

Team Savage

+3 on the crown!

Basic Member
    I'd be tempted to send it back to Savage. Yeah, the crown looks like someone pounded on it.

IIRC, they seem to consider a 1" group as sufficient (only 3 rounds on some models). In their FAQ they have a list of cartridges that they use, but, the 6.5PRC isn't on there. They seem to use premium ammo, such as Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills Match, etc when it is available in a cartridge.

But...my 12BVSS also had some bad groups when I first got it. Basically the first 3 shots were good, then went bad fast. Bottom line is it collected copper quickly. I started cleaning it even while at the range. Took a lot of shooting to smooth out.

So, first thing might be to clean the copper out and then try some different ammo. Maybe only a 3 round group.

Basic Member
    that is carbon build up you are all seeing. The only thing that could be wrong is that nick he has circled. It happens when you run a muzzlebreak or flash hider or suppressor.

Look where each high spot is on the carbon. It is right where each grove is at. I will say that is a lot of carbon for very few rounds you shot.

Basic Member
    How many rounds have u shot on this barrel?