Thread: Help with 99 tang safety

Basic Member

Help with 99 tang safety

I recently acquired a nice Savage 99 (box magazine model) in .308. It has a tang safety issue. The safety is off & does not want to go on. When I removed the stock, the safety slide was loosely attached to the safety button by a "glob" of soft solder. I am not sure if the safety slide has been spoiled and this solder job is a patch job fix from the past. I cannot seem to find a good description, view or video of how the button and the slide are supposed to connect to each other in the frame slot. Any help would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    savage 99 tang safety - Bing images This is the best I could find! All mine are the old style safety!

Basic Member
    Thank you for the attachments Big Al1. Before I get into the hows & whys of the safety slide stubbing on the trigger safety tab, I am really concerned that the safety button attachment to the safety slide is so loosy goosey (after I removed the rust and the gob of soft solder that was keeping them together in there to start with. It just doesn't look right as there is no "clip", either present or in the exploded view. I am beginning to wonder if I have a different safety slide that the gun was originally made with & some "fixer" put in what he had & drizzled some soft solder on to get it out the door. By the condition of the rust preset, acid core solder was used & by the looks of it, quite a while ago. I am kid of stumped.