Thread: PT&G Savage bolt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

PT&G Savage bolt

I just got a new PT&G Savage Bolt body M#112 short action . Put the new bolt togather and now it will not stay cocked . The new bolt body is made thinner where the cocking piece is so do I need a new cocking piece that goes in the bolt ? If I push it all the way in it will cock one time then I have to do the samething over again .

Thanks Art

Banned
    Do you have the Accutrigger? Did you check that you have assembled properly? Explain what you mean by: “if I push it all the way in it will cock one time then I have to do the same thing over again.” Can you explain a little more clear?

Basic Member
    I have a Rifle Basix trigger . If I put the old bolt body back on it works just fine . I called the cocking piece and should have said cocking pin don't catch on the sear and will not cock . But push the push the cocking pin in it will stay cocked .
    See the bolt body is a smaller Dia where the cocking pin goes . so I can push the pin in or put it out because of the body different dia . Yes I have all the parts right in the bolt body , because if I put the firing pin back in the old Bolt body everything works ok .

Basic Member
    I think I may need a later cocking pin to go with this bolt body . I bought this gun new in 2004 and my bolt body didn't have the resessed section on the body .. would there be a difference in the cocking pins ?

Banned
    The factory Savage uses a different diameter where the cocking pin goes in as well. Are you saying the cocking pin is coming out? The pin is held in place by the cocking sleeve. When exactly are you “pushing” it in? Before you rack the bolt? I’m sure it can be remedied, but without seeing it, it’s difficult to say what is happening.

Doesn't really matter. Obviously there is some machining difference. Contact PTG for a refund.

Basic Member
    The bolt bodies that are reduced at the cocking ramp use a thicker cocking piece pin.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Oh… you have an older rifle with a bolt like this, huh?

Opposed to newer bolts like this.

Yes, it’s like Fred said. Sorry. I didn’t even think about that. Well, if you have trouble finding one, I’m actually going to machine a new one from Titanium. I’ll give you my factory part when I do. I might even machine several in Titanium. We’ll see

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The bolt bodies that are reduced at the cocking ramp use a thicker cocking piece pin.
    Do you have a cocking pin that will work with a old style bolt with the new bolt body ?

just buy the correct part for it now that you know there’s a difference? Probably the fastest fix.
    Maybe Gunshack has it? If not Fred probably has hundreds.