Thread: Sear Not Engaging.

Sear Not Engaging.

Howdy all, first post so please take it easy on me A couple of weeks back I won a Savage Axis XP in a raffle. Hadn't fired it and it still remains unfired, the reason for that was the stiff bolt when cocking so I bought a bolt lifting kit from Desh Industries and the install went just fine.

The bolt is put back together properly and I heard and felt the retaining pin spring click into place (man that was a bit of a chore). Went to test the bolt lift and very nice it was, however when I pulled the trigger, nothing.

Tried it a few more times and still nothing. I removed the stock and had a look and it looks to me like the Sear is not engaging though I could be wrong on that but the sear doesn't move at all when cocking the rifle. The trigger is the original trigger and I went back to the bolt and installed the original bolt handle and washer then tried it again, still nothing, sear doesn't seam to be engaging.

I called Savage this morning and asked to speak to one of their gunsmiths/techs for a few pointers as to why this was happening. All I got was some woman who sounded like she was in a bad mood and she told me in no uncertain terms that I couldn't speak to anyone and that I would have to send the rifle back to them at my expense.*

So I'm looking for any advice/reason as to why the sear isn't engaging when cocking the rifle, any advice would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Blu.

* After my experience with the phone call to Savage this morning, I'd rather cut the rifle up than send it back to them.

Basic Member
    I must have spoken to the same lady. Grouchy. And I ended up calling back until i got a nicer person. My wife said grouchy lady has probably been with savage for ever and is biding her time till she can retire. Hang in there someone with lots of knowledge will be able to help you.

Thanks Dad

Basic Member
    Welcome and sorry for your introduction to Savage factory service.

First, the sear does not engage when cocking the rifle. The cocking piece slides in the bolt cam area until it is 'captured' at the back of the bolt sleeve. Then the bolt is moved rearward to eject the round.

The bolt is then pushed forward and picks up a new cartridge.. As the bolt handle is lowered the cam goes in reverse and lets the cocking piece engage the sear

When the bolt is raised you should see the back end of the firing pin in the center of the bolt shroud.

It almost sounds like you don't have the cocking piece (that pin with large round head) in place.

Banned
    Thats exactly it! You have the bolt body upside down. Make certain it looks like the picture below before you install.

Or just follow this article.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...uctions/view/2

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome and sorry for your introduction to Savage factory service.

First, the sear does not engage when cocking the rifle. The cocking piece slides in the bolt cam area until it is 'captured' at the back of the bolt sleeve. Then the bolt is moved rearward to eject the round.

The bolt is then pushed forward and picks up a new cartridge.. As the bolt handle is lowered the cam goes in reverse and lets the cocking piece engage the sear

When the bolt is raised you should see the back end of the firing pin in the center of the bolt shroud.

It almost sounds like you don't have the cocking piece (that pin with large round head) in place.

Hi Charlie and thanks for the reply. With regards to the the cocking piece, it's in place and is held in place by the small spring arm. I heard it click into place when I had a look at the bolt so that is not the problem. Also when I lift the cocking piece to put the cocking piece back into the cocked position, it shows at the back of the bolt that it's cocked.

Other than that, I just know that with the bolt in the rifle and when going though the motion of opening and closing the bolt the sear does not engage. When I pull the trigger there is nothing, no trigger pressure and no click.

I'm not going to spend any great deal of time or money on this rifle, if I can't fix it I'll be firing up the chop saw.

Banned
    Thunk we have a case of user error here. Chop saw eh? LOL!

Okay back again, had to change my username because I forgot my password and for some reason the password reset email wasn't coming through.

Anyway time for an update

Oh dear! Oh deary deary dear! Okay, well I read Charlie's post first and replied about the bolt. Then I read Dave's post and looked at the photo, looked at the bolt, looked at the photo, looked at the bolt, looked at the photo and thought Blu...you complete and utter plonker.

Hands up guys, I had the bolt upside down. The only defense I can offer is this is my first Savage and my first time taking the bolt apart. I have however taught myself a far easier way of getting the bolt pin back in.

There I have fessed up and will never be able to look at this rifle again without feeling like a plonker, and shall pass it on to our first born to add to his collection.

Every day's a school day and one is never too old to learn. Thanks for all your help guys, I really do appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Now let us never speak of this again.

Blu

Banned
    Lol! It’s ok Blu. Charlie alluded to it, and how do think I knew that’s what it was? Every single person who takes these apart & back together regularly, has done the same thing at some point. I remember when I did it years ago. I’m sitting there saying to myself, “why aint this working?” LOL! Took me a min or two looking at it then, DUHHH!

So you’re in good company my friend.

Ah well got there in the end. I did a trigger pull test on it this morning, just over 6lbs. Just ordered a Timney trigger and will set that to 3lbs. Depending on how it shoots I may take it out during deer season. If it's a keeper I may get a new stock for it and ask the kid to glass bed it for me as he's into the glass bedding, he's done a nice job already on the ones he's done for me.

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Basic Member
    Yep, first time I reassembled a bolt it was backwards. Second time I got that right but the extractor was on the wrong side. Then I drew myself a picture. After I got it back together I took a picture of it and put it up on the wall (you will probably take it apart more times in the future :) ).

Glad it worked out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu3220 View Post

I called Savage this morning and asked to speak to one of their gunsmiths/techs for a few pointers as to why this was happening. All I got was some woman who sounded like she was in a bad mood and she told me in no uncertain terms that I couldn't speak to anyone and that I would have to send the rifle back to them at my expense.*
    I think she was probably the one I spoke to in 2017 when I discovered the threads for one of the scope mounts in the receiver didn't get a second pass on a new Axis. I was ok with sending it back but sheesh what an attitude.