Thread: AICS 223 Magazine question

Basic Member

AICS 223 Magazine question

Has anyone run a 5 round AICS magazine? The footnote on the one I'm looking at says may have reliability issues in Savage actions.
    I have a model 12 in a MDT chassis. Would like to try it but 65 clams for something that may give me issues is a bad idea in my book.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230101_092248.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	9768

Banned
    Many of us are using AICS mags & have zero issues. They work very well. When dealing with feeding issues in a Savage 110 with an AICS magazine, the mag would not ​be my first thought of a problem.

Basic Member
    Do you run 5 round mags Dave?

Banned
    I run 10’s. But I’ve seen countless 5’s run with no problem: Here, on several ranges, countless other forums, etc. Not only that, look at reviews. Overwhelmingly positive. If you want to save a few bucks, go with the polymer, Magpul PMAG AICS mags. I modified mine to run over 2.900” COAL. They run flawlessly. Although, I really do like the steel with no binder plates.

I’m wondering which one your looking at? I haven’t read that “warning” on those I’m familiar with.

Basic Member
    Accurate is the 5 round 223 mag in question.
    My 10 round poly MDT mags are as smooth as glass... well as smooth as Savage gets. :)
    I'm just looking for a shorter mag.. that's all.

Basic Member
    I think the confusion here may be that the OP is talking about 223 AICS mags...and most people use AICS in the 308 family. The 223's can be finicky...I've got a Savage 110 PCS bolt pistol in .223 that comes with the MDT chassis and I'm in the same boat as OP...wanting a shorter mag than the 10rd but reading the horror stories about 223 sized AICS makes me leery to spend that kinda money on one...also it seems that there aren't as many options for 223 as there is for the 308 family

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD11730 View Post
    Accurate is the 5 round 223 mag in question.
    My 10 round poly MDT mags are as smooth as glass... well as smooth as Savage gets. :)
    I'm just looking for a shorter mag.. that's all.
    If you’re worried, again, try the Magpul 5rd. They run flawlessly. And, you can get 2 for the price of 1 Accurate. The only advantage to the Accurate mags is being able to load MAX COAL, 2.950”. If you don’t need em that long, there’s no advantage.

Magpul set a new level when they developed the PMAG; first for the AR15. Before them, polymer mags were junk! (Anyone remember those Tapco & ProMags magazines?) I was among the first to start using the Gen 1 PMAGS, and I remember the backlash on places like ARF & other forums. The so called “experts” warned against using plastic magazines and that I should buy proven mags. I was even ridiculed for my belief that they were going to be different. Even then I was a student of learning. From past research I knew there had been remarkable advancements in polymer technology that was far, far ahead of anything before it. So I was confident and sunk all my magazine money into getting only PMAGS. Hundreds & hundreds of mags later, I have never used another mag besides them to this day. And Magpul had indeed set the tone with many walking in their footsteps. For the longest time people would go on about the HK steel mags being the best AR15 magazine. No one with any sense has uttered those words in maybe 15+ years!

Here is the length of the 5rd.

Appologies. Just a little story I remember from my past, younger firearms years.

Basic Member
    I run a 5 round AICS mag in my 12 FV 6.5mm CM with an Oryx chassis.
    I also have a 10 round AICS mag by MDT and it is plastic and limits the OAL more than the aluminum 5 round mag that lets me get OALS out to 2.890 or so.
    I have an MDT 10 round AICS mag for my 12 FV .223 with an Oryx chassis, but that allows OALs up to 2.500 so I never needed an aluminum mag to support longer OALs.

All my mags function perfectly with my Oryx chassis and unmodified Savage actions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I run a 5 round AICS mag in my 12 FV 6.5mm CM with an Oryx chassis.
    I also have a 10 round AICS mag by MDT and it is plastic and limits the OAL more than the aluminum 5 round mag that lets me get OALS out to 2.890 or so.
    I have an MDT 10 round AICS mag for my 12 FV .223 with an Oryx chassis, but that allows OALs up to 2.500 so I never needed an aluminum mag to support longer OALs.

All my mags function perfectly with my Oryx chassis and unmodified Savage actions.
    CF, I’m not sure if the MDT will allow it… the polymer is different than the Magpul, but I used a block the same width as the inside of the mag body & sanded to allow longer COAL. It will seat about 2.910” or so comfortably now.

Basic Member
    Maybe you could help me out. Could you provide a link to the 5 round 223 AICS pattern magpul mag? Honestly the only mag manufacturer I can find that make the 223 AICS in a 5 rounder is Accurate.
    Thank you.

Banned
    I apologize. I missed it was 223 you needed.

Banned
    LOL! I never think about 223 in an AICS. Any time I see it, I think 7.62. Yeah, the have the 10rd AICS PMAG, but not a 5.

It does seem Accurate is the only supplier. I did find these, however, I have know information on function. For $37 might be worth a try for myself if I was on the road you are. But that is for you to decide.
    https://mag3d.ca/product/aics-223-magazines/

Basic Member
    Years ago a .STL file circulated for a 223 AICS 10 round mag. I never printed it because... well MDT. Anyways seeing that I wonder is he just shortened the length, or designed his own. I'll spend some time this weekend searching to see if a 5 round stl is out there.

Basic Member
    Dave, the MDT AICS .308/6.5 CM 10 round mag will only allow 2.835 OAL.
    That's why I don't use it.
    The AI 5 round mag measures 2.893, but really anything longer than 2.890 is taking a chance that the tip of round will hang up in the mag.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    Dave, the MDT AICS .308/6.5 CM 10 round mag will only allow 2.835 OAL.
    That's why I don't use it.
    The AI 5 round mag measures 2.893, but really anything longer than 2.890 is taking a chance that the tip of round will hang up in the mag.
    Yes, I’ve never measured one. Again, I open up my Magpuls. They fit 2.860” as is, but I block sand mine to fin a little over 2.910”. I was curious if the MDT could also be opened up?

Basic Member
    According to the review on Midway the Accurate-Mag aics 223 5 rounder plays nice with Savage- but never used one. The 308 based accurate mags feed very well- but in 223 the only one that I used was the PMag 10 rounder- and it worked good also.

Basic Member
    MDT mag probably could be opened up. I won't bother now. The AI 5 round mag is not as bulky.
    I can understand why the OP wanted a 5 round mag.

Basic Member
    The 10 round mdt poly mags im using in my 223 savage with mdt chassis work just fine. I bought 3 of the 5 rnd accurate mags, cant get them to secure in plce in my chassis. Looking for other options myself for a 5 rnd 223. Did you ever figure this out tommyd?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Scream View Post
    The 10 round mdt poly mags im using in my 223 savage with mdt chassis work just fine. I bought 3 of the 5 rnd accurate mags, cant get them to secure in plce in my chassis. Looking for other options myself for a 5 rnd 223. Did you ever figure this out tommyd?
    Honestly I bought a Zermatt action and moved my small shank barrel from my 12FV to it. Mag works AOK in the MDT chassis with it.

Did you ever solve your issue? Accurate would not 100% say for sure if the Savage action wold work with their mags.

Basic Member
    Ok.. this peaked my interest. So when I got home from work I put my 12FV back into its MDT chassis. The Accurate brand 5 round 223 mag locks in just fine. Ran the bolt.. no problem. So I loaded the mag up with 5 rounds tossed in the mag and....

It runs just fine! Yup feeds, ejects.. no problem.
    So, in my experience of 1 mag and 1 12FV action the Accurate 5 rounder is GTG.

YMMV