Thread: Old 110 Cheap Build Question

Team Savage

Old 110 Cheap Build Question

Hey guys,

I've got an old blind mag 110 in 30-06 that I'd like to build into a 600yd plinker. I was planning to buy a cheap .308 take-off barrel from NSS, or the trader here, but wanted to check if you guys think it might be worth cutting the 22" factory 30-06 barrel down to 16" (to maximize its rigidity) and see how it shoots. It will go into a Choate Tactical stock I've got, and wear a lower-end scope I have kicking around from my first foray into longer-range shooting. It's also getting a Rifle Basic Sav-1 trigger, and a new recoil lug & barrel nut from EABCO.

Thanks,

Lawndart

You’re probably gonna want a heavier contour barrel if you’ll be doing any amount of consecutive firing. And a longer heavier contour would be better than a shortened sporter contour in my opinion.
    Post a want ad in our classifieds. One might show up if there’s not already one there.

3. 08-28-2023, 10:02 PM

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Ever mind…lol I see you’ve already made the want ad.
    Thanks for the reply. We're on the same wavelength

I just put it in the stock to see how it would look, and the sporter barrel is comically tiny in the Choate Tactical stock. I should go ahead and delete this thread!

Lawndart

Banned
    Yeah, cutting the stick barrel down to 16” will serve only to lose velocity. Nothing more.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, cutting the stick barrel down to 16” will serve only to lose velocity. Nothing more.
    Roger, thanks. I hope someone bites on the trader!

Lawndart

Basic Member
    If it were mine, I would work with the existing 30-06 barrel. I have seen some of those older barrels that are accurate. the problem with the stock sporter barrrels is they are thin and heat up fast if shot too quickly. then the groups open up as the barrel heats up. A 308 sporter weight barrel will do the same thing. PDOG noted above that heavy contour barrel is needed.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    If it were mine, I would work with the existing 30-06 barrel. I have seen some of those older barrels that are accurate. the problem with the stock sporter barrrels is they are thin and heat up fast if shot too quickly. then the groups open up as the barrel heats up. A 308 sporter weight barrel will do the same thing. PDOG noted above that heavy contour barrel is needed.
    Yeah, I definitely want to be able to shoot some strings. Nothing crazy, but enough to want a heavier contour than a sporter... Hopefully I'll be able to do some horse-trading.

Basic Member
    Try cutting a half inch off and re-crowning it

A scope and cheek rest would be my fist purchase. A homemade bedding job and some trigger work. All center fires will go 600yds. Being able to make em land together with a read is the trick.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Heavier the better. Even my BVSS heavy varmint contour barrel changes poi as it heats up. IMHO it depends on how much bending is done by the tech on the assembly line at Savage. The std varmint contour on my .223 Axis held poi from cold through very hot. Not bent as much? A .223 also has more 'meat' to it.