Thread: 1905 target rifle

1905 target rifle

I recently was given a Savage 1905 in decent shape just need a little cleaning, one problem with it, it was missing the bolt. I was able to find a bolt but just the bolt with no internal parts. I have checked numerous antique gun parts dealers with no luck. Anyone know where I can obtain a parts diagram and maybe have the internal parts made.

Basic Member
    Well, Here's a site with parts. They have a 'complete' bolt and a bolt body. Too bad you bought a body already. http s://cfnparts.com/Savage%20Model%201905%20Takedown%20Rimfire%20Rifle %20Parts-550
    I just searched " 1905 savage rifle parts " and this was the 2nd answer !

Thank you for the reply I was able to locate a complete bolt, so I grabbed it pricy but it is what it is. So now I have an extra bolt. Maybe someone will need one sometime. Now the quest continues for the rear sight.

Any luck with a parts diagram or another source for a complete bolt? Or as a long shot does any one have a complete bolt I can get copied for some of the internal parts to get my rifle up and shooting.

Well so much for a working bolt. It's complete BUT the main spring need to be replaced and the firing pin doesn't look to healthy either. So continue looking for these parts.

Well I thought the main spring and firing pin were no good, I let it sit in an oil bath for a few weeks, seems to be working fine now, I took it out today and tried it with one round, it fired. It being 119 yrs. old was not sure what would happen. Now to continue looking for a rear sight. From what I can determine the sight required according to Classic firearms site is a series #23. So will keep looking.

Basic Member
    The rear sight is a Savage No 21. These are made from stamped sheetmetal and are often found damaged, the windage screws tend to bend or break off and there is a leaf spring that pushes the rear of the sight up that also is often found broken off. These sights do not adjust as low as standard sights so the Model 1905's had a taller front sight than most other Savage 22's from the time, the fronts sights, other than on some very early guns, will be stamped on one side of the base "SAVAGE", these are the only front sights known to have been marked Savage.

These have a very weak action, so be careful what you shoot in them.

Thanks I'll look for a No. 21. I know today's ammunition is to much for this and the recommended ammo is standard velocity or target ammo which I just picked up some. Now it seems the extractor spring is no good so looking for that too. I wish there was a schematic for this rifle available but so far I haven't found one.