Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New barrel recommendations

New barrel recommendations

Morning folks.

I'm looking at using my Model 11 Hog Hunter .308 action and replacing the barrel with a 6.5CM barrel to reach out there a little further more consistently.
    I ordered the new nut, recoil lug, wrench, and go gauge already.

Question is what brand barrel do you have experience with and would recommend.
    I don't see an option to make a poll on here so just list whatever you recommend in the comment section please.

I have talked to Krieger and they are out of stock with no build date in sight so that option is out.
    I've looked at the Criterion, Pac-Nor, Proof, X-Caliber, Preferred, McGowen, etc. There's just so many options out there.

Call Northland Shooter Supply and pick up a Criterion or a Shilen. Most likely he will have both in stock. You cannot go wrong with either.

Basic Member
    I recently went with a barrel from the urbanrifleman. Give him a call and tell what you're wanting to do and he'll fix you up.

I'm very happy with my barrel and I would buy another one from him if needed. He uses Wilson barrels. Below is a 1" dot at 100 yards.

6BR, 1-8 twist, 24" barrel, 90gr Lapua

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	9757

Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
    I recently went with a barrel from the urbanrifleman. Give him a call and tell what you're wanting to do and he'll fix you up.

I'm very happy with my barrel and I would buy another one from him if needed. He uses Wilson barrels. Below is a 1" dot at 100 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	9757
    I checked on the site and he doesn't list 6.5 CM, only 6 CM unfortunately.

Banned
    All the big names you know are super high quality. They all provide accuracy potential as good as anyone here or anywhere else can shoot. You aren’t going to see any discernible accuracy difference between a Krieger & Criterion or a Bartlein & Shilen. James at NSS is well known here. He stocks many Criterion & Shilen. You can also order one with features he may not stock. But, if you do that, prepare for a wait. I have used a Shilen for years. Great barrel. I recently ordered a new barrel from James that he didn’t stock. That was April 26. A Criterion, and I’m still waiting for it. It’s like that anywhere you order right now. But I would about guarantee he has 6.5CM in stock. Still… in the end, you should go with what YOU want. I didn’t mind waiting because I wanted something specific. But I’ve been doing this for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post

I also just bought a 6br barrel from Brad a couple months ago. He does really nice work and currently has only a 3 week turnaround. He uses Wilson blanks for those that don’t know. I’m shooting Varget and 105Amax Thru mine, and with just using my load from my old barrel it shoots outstanding, so for now I’ve left it alone since the bullets are no longer made and hard to find.
    I didn’t mention him cause I hadn’t seen him turn out any 6.5’s yet, but if interested it may be worth a call. He may have the reamer.
    Over on the Accurateshooter site he is a sponsor and has a “testimonial thread going for him and the customers to show them off.

Find a factory takeoff in your preferred length and contour.
    Spend the rest on ammo.
    If you need to get out further than a .308 , one of the most versitile cartridges on the planet, Then you've got a lot better eyes and telescopic sights than me.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Other than McGowen- it looks like a good list..... they are best avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Find a factory takeoff in your preferred length and contour.
    Spend the rest on ammo.
    If you need to get out further than a .308 , one of the most versitile cartridges on the planet, Then you've got a lot better eyes and telescopic sights than me.
    I already have a Model 10 LE with choate stock in .308 that I use now. Down side to it is it doesn't have a threaded barrel so I can't put a compensator on it. I want something more flatter shooting and has better consistency at 1k+ yards. The .308 hog hunter I'm retiring I've actually never shot. Got it on a trade so figured I'd convert it over to something I didn't have yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    ....They all provide accuracy potential as good as anyone here or anywhere else can shoot. You aren’t going to see any discernible accuracy difference between a Krieger & Criterion or a Bartlein & Shilen.....
    That may apply to you and me, but, I bet Fuj and a few others might disagree :)

I bought a Shilen for my 6BR (from NSS, great people). It does shoot better than I do. Today it was only 1/2MOA at 200yd and 2/3MOA at 600yd.

My next one will probably end up being a Shilen only because of the wait time at Bartlein, Kreiger, and the others.

Basic Member
    Bartlein and Kreiger are definitely top tier. If you can shoot the difference and need it. That’s part of the reason for the long wait. And the expense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That may apply to you and me, but, I bet Fuj and a few others might disagree :)

I bought a Shilen for my 6BR (from NSS, great people). It does shoot better than I do. Today it was only 1/2MOA at 200yd and 2/3MOA at 600yd.

My next one will probably end up being a Shilen only because of the wait time at Bartlein, Kreiger, and the others.
    The only difference in opinion was is the belief that Cut rifling is somehow better than Button rifling. This is a myth with the only evidence being handed down by the people making them & then spoken by those who buy them. It’s the same “evidence” spoken by those who think a Forged knife is somehow stronger, LOL! (And I’m not comparing Forged vs Casting so please don’t interject that argument anyone.) Shilen held many records for years & years. Don’t get me wrong, I love Bartlien barrels. And I wouldn’t expect Fuj’ to switch because he does his own from blanks. But I’m speaking of Pre-Fits here. I just don’t believe the hype of one rifling over another using Prefits. Same as I don’t believe in playing with different screw torque settings. The shooter & Reloading beat out both. The very TOP shooters in the world will beat anyone here regardless if they are using a Bartlein, Shilen, Kreiger, Criterion… PacNor, and a few others. Yes, there are a few highly skilled shooters here…. Even so, none are among the best in the world. That’s all I was saying. But hey, if someone wants to pay the extra for Cut Rifling, more power to ‘em! But I’ve researched quite enough for myself to be very comfortable not spending the extra money.

Basic Member
    Not all the top barrels are cut rifled. I know Lilja barrels are button rifled. Cut rifling alone does not make a premium barrel.

You can get prefits from many of them if you ask. Kreiger offers them on their website. Bartlein will do it if you send in the action to have them fit it. You can get just about anything you want if you are willing to pay and wait for it.

Like I said, you or I may not see a difference, but, some can. That's why people go to places like Lilja, Brux, etc for competition barrels. And, why people like you won't spend the extra money.

As Fuj has said before, 'none of it makes a difference....until it does'.

If i had my choice between a Bartlein and a Krieger, I'll take a Brux cut rifled for the long game.
    Although I am in the middle of doing a 3 groove Lilja to test those waters. Short game, is still
    Douglas and Hart button barrels.

Since the OP has it set to run a Creedmoor and has purchased item already, I would advise to
    call Hart. they will do a Savage prefit and may have something in stock.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

I have 2 X-Caliber barrels with no complaints at all, IIRC, their wait times are down to around 3-4 weeks but not sure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    If i had my choice between a Bartlein and a Krieger, I'll take a Brux cut rifled for the long game.
    Although I am in the middle of doing a 3 groove Lilja to test those waters. Short game, is still
    Douglas and Hart button barrels.

Since the OP has it set to run a Creedmoor and has purchased item already, I would advise to
    call Hart. they will do a Savage prefit and may have something in stock.
    I have a Douglas in 6mm BRAI, spun by the late Stan Taylor, chambered with My BIL’s Reamer. Only thing, it has a .268” neck, which means neck turning, which I don’t care for. I won’t go that route again.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    I have a Douglas in 6mm BRAI, spun by the late Stan Taylor.
    Stan was one of the good ones, no doubt. Had numerous chats with him that always
    went astray.....LOL. I just get blanks, but this last barrel I am currently shooting is
    what he called and turned for me, he called it an Extra Max Varmint. It's a 24" long
    1.250" blank with 8" of straight then tapering to 1". I cut it to 22" and added the
    Ezell tuner. As for neck turning ?? I got that out of my system long ago.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Yeah.. not a fan of neck turning.

Sorry I haven't responded to anyone, but for some reason the forum isn't sending me notifications of responses.

Thank you all for your input thus far!! There's a lot of good info above.

I spoke to Krieger (no eta on Savage pre-fits being produced, but has been mentioned), All things considered Bartlein is out of my wheel house. I'm sure they're great barrels, but for little ol me that doesn't compete etc it's not for me.
    I've spoke to NSS as well and I'm leaning towards going that route. Might have to flip a coin between the Criterion and Shilen.

Basic Member
    Those should serve you well.

I have a lot of theories about barrels.... or assumptions (and admit to no proof but rather have seen a result and then speculate on the cause) But personally- prefer cut barrels. That have appeared to have less shift or opening up as the barrel gets hot- but have barrels of all different ways that shoot good.

Barrels can get expensive- but when you divide the extra cost of a premium barrel over the number of rounds you are going to get in the life of that barrel it's not much- (that's how I justify it)

Basic Member
    Fuj and GrenGuy,

Who would you choose between Douglas and Hart for a finished barrel? I will be looking at a .30BR.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Fuj and GrenGuy,

Who would you choose between Douglas and Hart for a finished barrel? I will be looking at a .30BR.
    Between the 2 You mention, I would call it a toss up. Unless one is more available than the other.

Fuj may have a different option.

edit: Some claim the 30BR is the king of Short Range Bench Rest Score Class. Is that what You want it for?

Basic Member
    Actually for cast bullets, but, yes for short range, maybe 300yd. Not competition. I have my 6BR for long range.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBpooh View Post
    Sorry I haven't responded to anyone, but for some reason the forum isn't sending me notifications of responses.

Thank you all for your input thus far!! There's a lot of good info above.

I spoke to Krieger (no eta on Savage pre-fits being produced, but has been mentioned), All things considered Bartlein is out of my wheel house. I'm sure they're great barrels, but for little ol me that doesn't compete etc it's not for me.
    I've spoke to NSS as well and I'm leaning towards going that route. Might have to flip a coin between the Criterion and Shilen.

It really is a coin toss between Shilen & Criterion. Both are exceptional and you will quite happy with either. I’ll say this since you mentioned Krieger. Criterion actually IS a Button Rifled Krieger! The Krieger & Criterion share a space, & workers! Even the steel billets they both use are the same from the same supplier! It’s simply the Rifling process which is different. Now some believe Cut rifling is better… even though there is no evidence for that. (I’ve made this clear.) Also, the more expensive Bartlien, Hart, Kreiger, etc., they don’t last longer. All Premium barrels last roughly the same amount of rounds. Also, it’s about the same regardless of rifling; whether Cut, Button or Cold Hammer Forged (CHF). It’s not the rifling (lands & grooves) that cause accuracy loss from wear. It’s the Chamber Throat that wears first. Bottom line there: If you want any barrel to last longer, have the chamber/bore either Chromed or Nitrided. This will turn a 2500rd barrel into a 25,000rd barrel! I’ll also mention if you’re sold on Cut rifling, McGowan also does it for like $100 more than Button rifling. So it ends up about in between Shilen/Criterion & Bartlien/Krieger price wise.

So why then does a Cut Rifling barrel cost more? Same reason CHF barrels cost more. It costs more to make them. Cut rifling is simply more labor intensive. It takes much, much longer. More labor intensive. And of course, extra labor costs $$. In the case of a CHF barrel, while manufacturing & production speed is greatly enhanced, the machines required to make them are exceedingly expensive. Even an older machine from the 40’s is cost prohibitive. So, higher production costs of course leads to higher commercial cost. Simple as that. So, with that in mind, what is a good way to sell something that simply costs more to make? Why not tell the public it’s better. Tell everyone the process being used makes for a better product. GENIUS! LOL! Same old song & dance that people have been doing since the beginning of production & commerce.

Basic Member
    Dave, just because you can't tell the difference does not mean there is no difference. Cut or button it boils down to how well the maker holds tolerances. It is not just the source steel. As we've gone over this before, if you are in the 1's and 2's you will have a preference for barrels. If you are like me then I want a barrel that does not handicap me. As I get better I notice more things to improve on. Tiny things. But, if your goal is 1/2MOA kind of shooting then the Shilen and Criterion are "good enough for government work". If you talk to Jim at Northland he does not prefer one over the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast