Thread: Non accutrigger problem.. sear going past trigger notch

Basic Member

Non accutrigger problem.. sear going past trigger notch

So i was doing some finishing touches on my boyds stock, making sure everything clears fine before bedding. Did one last fit and worked the bolt and it went down kinda hard and the trigger wouldn't pull. Found it odd since it had been fine before so I figured I had a little binding. Sanded some area behind the rear pillar since I used some clay to check clearance and it was real close so I figured the movement in the bolt release/sear was maybe catching. Well that didn't work, so I worked it again out of the stock and it worked fine for about 4 or 5 tries and did it again and noticed the sear is moving past the trigger notch. Now I'm kind of a newbie so I'm taking my time learning as I go, so I know this can probably be adjusted to fix, but what is the correct way to take care of this? It does this about every 3 to 5 times working the bolt. Action was sent to SSS for true and time if that matters (it was working fine after so I don't think it does). It has been in and out of the stock a million times, new barrel so trigger has been on and off a few times, I'm guessing it just worked out of adjustment somewhere?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230824_174616.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	9754
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230824_174340.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	9755

Banned
    It’s falling on closing the bolt. You need to give it more preload in the Bar Spring. Or, there is still binding somewhere causing it to follow.

Let me ask before we go any further. Did you do anything to the trigger? Any “polishing” with a Dremel or anything?

Wait… in your picture I can see you have the spring adjusted all the way down. You need to give it more preload. Just adjust the spring screw up a couple turns.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s falling on closing the bolt. You need to give it more preload in the Bar Spring. Or, there is still binding somewhere causing it to follow.

Let me ask before we go any further. Did you do anything to the trigger? Any “polishing” with a Dremel or anything?

Wait… in your picture I can see you have the spring adjusted all the way down. You need to give it more preload. Just adjust the spring screw up a couple turns.
    Which do I adjust? Remember learning as I go haha.

Basic Member
    And no, no polishing of any kind

Banned
    I edited your picture & circled in RED the Trigger Adjustment Screw. You want to turn that from the bottom Clockwise, so it pushes the Spring UP. This gives the Bar Spring more Pre-Load. Try 1 turn & check operation. More preload will make a heavier trigger pull, but there will be a point where it’s not too heavy but operates correctly.

Banned
    If it seems too heavy after adjusting, I’d be happy to send you one of the Bar Springs I make for these. Picture below shows the difference. I give these to & perform trigger jobs for Savage Shooters members at no charge. Just let me know and I’ll get your address & drop one in the mail for you. The lighter gauge wire allows for more preload to prevent Sear Follow, but keeps the pull weight down.

Top Spring is Savage Factory. Bottom Spring is one I made for another member here. I always have several of these made & ready to go for people.

Basic Member
    I'll shoot you a PM! As always, thanks for your help!

Always keep a slight arch in this spring and lock the adjustment down by making sure the tail end of the spring is in the notch on the set screw or with nail polish or purple loctite. Failure to do so can result in the rifle not properly resetting the trigger on the sear and the rifle firing when the safety is pushed off.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Always keep a slight arch in this spring and lock the adjustment down by making sure the tail end of the spring is in the notch on the set screw or with nail polish or purple loctite. Failure to do so can result in the rifle not properly resetting the trigger on the sear and the rifle firing when the safety is pushed off.
    Good points to add!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I will double check the hook end of the spring is in the notch of the screw, thanks! The assembly was on and off a couole times, it could have turned. Will check it here in a bit, thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh40674 View Post
    I will double check the hook end of the spring is in the notch of the screw, thanks! The assembly was on and off a couole times, it could have turned. Will check it here in a bit, thanks!
    The screw doesn’t typically loosen on its on. It’s under constant tension from the bar spring installed. But a touch of locktite won’t hurt. I noticed the screw was loosened all the way down. This is typically done when taking it apart. I’m betting at some point it was taken apart in such fashion then not adjusted back after reinstalling. No biggie. The main thing is you had a problem & the problem was quickly identified. And it didn’t cost ya anything, LOL!

Basic Member
    Yeah it's loose. I know for sure the first time I took it apart it wasn't, but it has been apart a couple times after so I'm guessing it wiggled its way out. Will get it taken care of!

Quote Originally Posted by Sh40674 View Post
    Yeah it's loose. I know for sure the first time I took it apart it wasn't, but it has been apart a couple times after so I'm guessing it wiggled its way out. Will get it taken care of!
    This knowledge came by way of a 300RUM bolt slamming into my thumb with 33 ft/lb of free recoil as the safety was pushed off a couple of times. ( thankfully safely down range) Its been a couple of decades now but one of those lessons not soon forgotten and shared every chance I get.

P.S. And if you're gonna use loctite never use any other color but purple loctite on fine machine thread screws. Thats another hard lesson for another thread.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    One reason I LOVE the Accutrigger in Savage & Firing Pin Blocks on pistols. 100% safe from accidental discharge!