Thread: Firing pin protrusion?

Basic Member

Firing pin protrusion?

Is a different firing pin protrusion recommended for large primer cartridges vs small primer cartridge?

Not that I am aware of.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    No, optimum pin protrusion is .035”. Any more is simply limiting the pin travel & as a result, limiting the energy.

if you did a barrel change and are having problems, measure your case protrusion also to see that the case can reach the back of the bolt before the barrel bottoms out..
    seldom mentioned but should always be done before installing a different barrel.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    if you did a barrel change and are having problems, measure your case protrusion also to see that the case can reach the back of the bolt before the barrel bottoms out..
    seldom mentioned but should always be done before installing a different barrel.
    Im working on a couple bolts setting FP protrusion and clearancing the cocking piece pin from the bolt body.

Thanks to all !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Im working on a couple bolts setting FP protrusion and clearancing the cocking piece pin from the bolt body.

Thanks to all !!
    As for the Cocking Piece Pin, set it very close to the edge of the bolt body. I have mine only a couple thous. distance. Take as much pin “fall” as you’re able. I know years ago someone along the way came up with setting the pin distance at 0.080”. Well, this does nothing except loses pin travel. Whereas setting for maximum travel can allow for lighter spring tension. Which aids in bolt lift while still maintaining sufficient striking force.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    As for the Cocking Piece Pin, set it very close to the edge of the bolt body. I have mine only a couple thous. distance. Take as much pin “fall” as you’re able. I know years ago someone along the way came up with setting the pin distance at 0.080”. Well, this does nothing except loses pin travel. Whereas setting for maximum travel can allow for lighter spring tension. Which aids in bolt lift while still maintaining sufficient striking force.
    Thats good information, thanks!

I was in the camp of plenty of pin fall , heavy springs and plenty of pin protrusion , mine ran about .060, the results were clean grouping and no failures to fire. I’m not a gunsmith just sharing an experience.