Thread: Super 16 Information

Question Super 16 Information

A while back I bought a Super 16 .45/70 barrel that showed no evidence of ever being mounted to a frame, not a mark anywhere. I didn't notice when I bought the barrel but the dovetail locks were missing and on close inspection the dovetails don't look like they ever had anything installed. I have had a handful of .45/70 barrels over the years including a couple of Super 16s as far as I can remember they all had a factory "Muzzle Tamer" brake. This new barrel doesn't have a brake. How common are these barrels? I planned on shooting it but if it's a valuable collectors item I would rather a collector have it and I'll come up with something else to shoot.

Thanks in advance!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Early production of 45/70' were tapered contour barrels, with iron sights, and no brakes...most of them i have seen featured a front sight that was soldered in place, without being drilled/tapped up front. Due to the brisk recoil of such light barrels, it was my understanding TC had more than a few warranty claims when those were returned for service, as the barrel dovetail forend lugs pulled out, especially when matched with heavy forends.

I kind of recall that after only a year or so, the new barrels retained the taper contour with soldered front sight, but new tubes featured a brake...i had one of those with the brake, muzzle flip was reduced, but recoil was still enthusiastic.

Later variants of super 16 45/70 went to a bull contour, most of which i saw DID have removable front sights...have seen a couple of those without brakes, but most of the ones i've seen did have the muzzle tamer brakes. I still have a 20" stainless version of that from the TC custom shop.

Also have an early tapered light contour without brake, but a previous owner had the crown recessed & added a brake...and i guess he also had issues with dovetail lugs, as the lugs on mine are soldered in place. I havent shot that barrel in a long time, i need to stick some glass on it, still has the factory sights.

for a couple of years, when they first came out with a 45/70, it was my main go-to woods-loafing & walking around timber gun...with skinny glass & tupperware stocks, it was less than 5lbs.

Recoil was a bit vicious, and i recall learning about that the hard way...had been walking around on a bit of scouting foray, and found a very rusted & beat up old iron skillet in a pasture, & thought how that would make a dandy target, so i went & hung it in a tree about a hundred yards away.
    Not being one for off-hand shots if a rest is available, i laid down in the pasture, scrunched up my daypack for a rest, and steadied for the shot...i wanted to see if that 300gr bullet would split the skillet, or punch a hole in it, or just ring it like a gong.

i let fly, and found i had crawled the stock too much when laying down...that scope split my eyebrow open & it was a gusher, i bled like a stuck pig.
    And, it felt like somebody whacked me with a ball bat.

I never did go look at that skillet to see what happened.

This one is tapered and does have the soldered front sight. I was thinking it might be a candidate for a "Scout" scope I got in a trade a while back.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I’ve seen a couple like you described, Bob, never owned one. All mine have had muzzle brakes except my walk about 20” bull carbine barrel. I think it comes in around 6.5 lbs. with synthetic. 45/70 one of my favorites, load as stout or as mild as you want it, depending on the platform.

The 45-70 can be loaded with Trail Boss and a 300 gr. bullet and it greatly reduces it's 'bite'.
    A super 16 in this caliber is a real banger, tho.
    A rynite forearm might bear less stress upon firing than a walnut.

Basic Member
    Having see the effect 44 Magnums have on steel I doubt the skillet had a hole in it, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by gemihur View Post
    The 45-70 can be loaded with Trail Boss and a 300 gr. bullet and it greatly reduces it's 'bite'.
    A super 16 in this caliber is a real banger, tho.
    A rynite forearm might bear less stress upon firing than a walnut.
    If you really want a fun plinker with no bite, load it with soft cast lead bullets and the one true Holy Black powder.

Huge amount of fun! Giant BOOM, lots of smoke, good times. Sounds like a civil war cannon going off. Will bring other folks on the range over to your bench to see what the heck you are shooting.

I can easily shoot my 14" 45-70 one handed with a full charge of black powder in it. From 340 gr up to 535 gr Postell's. Great fun, will put a smile on your face and lead in your pencil.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot