So I have a new to me Savage 12 BVSS with 1:0 twist barrel. Initial testing shows that it shoots my Varget handloads with 68 HPBT Hornadys into nickle sized groups at 100 yds. ( Those are loaded to 2.250" OAL). That's good enough for me.
Somewhere long the line I picked up a few hundred Hornady 60 gr Vmax bullets that I think might also shoot well in this . The issue is that when I try to load these to the same 2.250" , the load not only gets heavily compressed but it seems that they seat with the ogive below the case lip. Seems best I can seem to comfortably get with these bullets is an OAL of 2.280" or so with this poly tipped bullet. ( I do not ahve a tool to measure tot he ogive.)
My BVSS uses a sing shot sled so I'm not concerned about meeting mag length. I've also checked the depth to the rifling via the Loktite bullet trick and I'm seeing 2.300" OAL to the rifling. I'm thinking I'd be OK at 2.280 but am admittedly in unknown territory.

Given I've never loaded long for a single shot rifle before, I'm wondering if anyone else is loading .223 into the 2.270 -2.300" range in their savage.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.