Thread: Bolt AR what a hoot.

Bolt AR what a hoot.

Had some time this morning waiting for the range grass to dry before mowing. Found a few old boxes of 77 gn GMM laying on the shelf and just needed shooting up as it has been replaced with a couple of cases of 73 gn Berger GMM. Dang I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning. Shot off bipod. Before using the GMM up, I shot 20 rnds of hand loaded 40 gn Vmax to warm things up. Did have to add the suppressor cover to cut down the mirage which was terrible after the first 30 rnds. I do enjoy using the NRA MR-31C targets which are 600 yd scaled down for 100 yds with a 3/4" X ring. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt AR 2.jpg   Bolt AR 3.jpg   Bolt AR 7.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    That’ll do it.

Thanks. With the Lyme, I need all the range time I can get just to stay focused.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Well, got out an fired just 20 rnds with my bolt AR. Trying new ammo. I bought a couple of cases of Federal GM .223 that uses Berger 73 gn otm which is advertised as 2800 fps at the muzzle. Left the scope with setting from handloads that were running the same. First 2 shots clean cold bore were dead center on my sight in target then creeped up slightly. Dropped the elevation 2 clicks and moved onto an MR-31 and shot a 100-9x. First two shots on the MR-31C were at 11 oclock. Left the scope setting alone because they were Xs and the rest were down near 6, go figure. One thing I noticed with this ammo is it produces tons of white smoke. Almost like shooting black powder. I like the 7 rnds through the one 1/4" hole at 6. Now if I could get over being exhausted it would be a lot more fun. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt AR 10.jpg   Bolt AR 8.jpg   Bolt AR 9.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Fired 20 rnds at 100 yds this morning with my bolt AR Unitah 20" upper .223 Wylde. I think 9th is going to like his when he gets a chance to shoot it. Amazing!

Warmup on sightin target produced 5/8" max spread for 10 rnds. Moved the scope up one click and left one click before shooting the MR-31C. Final score is 100-10X. 1/2" max spread for 10 rnds. This is shot off Atlas bipod with bunny bag. Next goal with this rifle is to shoot a 100-10X without breaking the X ring. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt AR 10.jpg   100 10x.jpg   100 10x 3.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Yessir… AR’s can definitely get the job done! I had thought on one of those Unitah Uppers, but I’m quite fond of my Semi-Auto AR15’s. (And truth of the matter is I build my own better than any manufacturer I’ve seen in 2 decades of building them.) Then I always just figured, I can shot off the port on the Adjustable Gas Block I use & run mine like a straight pull.

But that’s one straight shooting rig you got there.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting.

I can't help but think it looks a lot like the 'tube' rifles, just not as heavy.

Team Savage
    I like the Uintah but I went with No Gas port on a 28" barrel and a side charge BCA receiver.
    Shooting F-Open occasionally with a 22 Nosler AR. Stickage is an issue you won't have.
    But, back to your thread.
    I likey :)

Changed out the Leupold 16x MK 4 for a Sightron 45x fixed for some experimentation. Dang this stuff is fun when you aren't rushed. Got in another case of the Federal GM that is using the 73 gn Bergers. Rifle really seems to like that cartridge. Working up some handloads to try to get as good accuracy. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt AR 1.jpg   Bolt AR 3.jpg   Bolt AR 2.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    45x!!! It’s a 22, isn’t it? How far you thinking of shooting?

How’s the Sightron glass compared to the Leupold Mk4?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    45x!!! It’s a 22, isn’t it? How far you thinking of shooting?

How’s the Sightron glass compared to the Leupold Mk4?
    Rifle is .223. Took the scope off one of my 50 yd rimfire rifles. Only shooting at 100 yds for ammo tests.

Not quite as clear as the Leupold, but going from 16x to 45x for ammo testing does a great job. I do like the 1/10 moa elevation and windage clicks on the Sightron. Most excellent tracking. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    45X at 100yds? Ain’t never heard o’ that. Hell, I only use maybe 10x at 100. But I just have a 2.5-20x. Hell, the fixed 10X Unertl was the Marine Corps steady Sniper Scope for many hundreds of & even 1000 or more yards. Little light in the magnification for mua, but my 20x works nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    45X at 100yds? Ain’t never heard o’ that. Hell, I only use maybe 10x at 100. But I just have a 2.5-20x. Hell, the fixed 10X Unertl was the Marine Corps steady Sniper Scope for many hundreds of & even 1000 or more yards. Little light in the magnification for mua, but my 20x works nicely.
    Indeed. The power is required to even find the 1/8" aimpoint. 10x is great for sniping man sized targets, but when one starts shooting precision, it's a whole different story. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72