Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Actions Source

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Fair enough, you are correct and forgot to mention. Paper and shooting steel to 1000 yards. I'm also kicking around the idea of PRS matches.

FYI- My LGS just called and said he has a 110 Elite Precision in 6 CM that he could let go for 1550.00 out the door.
    I recommend going with what YOU want. Not because anyone tells you. You are going to get several shooters telling you to get this or that Action. They told me for years as well(some of them even thinking they were telling me something I didn’t know! LOL!) No… don’t listen to what others THINK you should do! You see, I enjoy the Savage 110. And I spend a decent amount of money making my Savage 10 both run incredibly well and be very unique. Obviously I know a custom would perform better in the long run.(longevity that is.) But I don’t compete anyway. I shoot for me. Because I enjoy it. Although the hobby of firearms goes far beyond just shooting for me. In the end, any Action with a quality barrel & parts, using worked up reloads, is going to be very accurate. One Rig being several thousandths more accurate isn’t on my Radar because I’m honest with myself. Sure, I’m a quite capable shooter. Both Rifle & Pistol. I’d say I’m even quite good. I can hit a man sized target at very long distances. However, a teeny, tiny, group shooter, I am not. And a THOUSANDS of yards away, 1-mile, 2-mile and more… I am not. And don’t pretend to be. Too many shooters in Forums pretend to be something they aren’t. Any it’s not just the young guys either! I’ve caught more than one Storyteller of advanced years.

Keep doing what you’re doing… learning as much as you can. But in the end, go with your gut! As for the 110 Precision in 6CM you found. That’s a decent price for a great rifle. It’s using the best Action Savage makes; the Large Shank, small port style in Stainless. Decent price for a great rifle as long as you’re going to keep it 6mmCM for now. If you are planning to purchase just to replace the barrel to 6mm GT it’s a waste of money. Also, it’s only worth this if you really like that particular Chassis. I like another Chassis much more, so for me it would be wasteful. These are things only you know yourself.

I think that I might go to some PRS matches and see what's used most, even pick up the rules. Probably best to sit on it for a while before getting into something that I may or may not like. Never used an MDT chassis but do own a Sabor and XLR chassis systems which I prefer shooting prone, off of home made barricades, tripods and/or bipods.

Funny thing is that I'm a long-time hunter and got a couple places to hunt P-Dogs which is why we (wife and I) started shooting steel (to improve our shooting skills) between 600-1000 yards has become one of my favorite things to do a couple times a week.

I appreciate the input feedback.

Here is a website that can educate you on the ins and outs of the PRS competition.
    https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/
    Your idea to go to a match is on target. There are several reasons that hardly any Savages make it into PRS. Not to say there are none but 99 percent graduate to an action that has less issues like feeding, heavy bolt lift and failure to extract when the heat is on. If you want to shoot PRS. Do not use a savage action unless the underdog position Is where you want to live. A custom action can be had for $350 more than a Savage repeater target action. You can spend a lot more but there is no need to pay 1700 for one.

Here is another good website for the info you are asking about. Fact based.
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...-rifle-action/
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Yeah, if your primary goal is PRS & you want to be competitive, a Savage is not the answer. Though, neither is a Factory Rem.700, Tikka T3 or Howa 1500 Action! The Customs are the answer for PRS comp.

Savages are just great rifles with an awesome history in this country. The 110 is now the Longest running produced Action in US history. The Savage 110 IS America’s rifle! Some of us just really appreciate those aspects.

Basic Member
    I always recommend visiting where you plan to shoot. Many of those groups may even let you try your hand with a loaner rifle, or at least let you look at what they are shooting.

If the build part isn't important there are other options out there as well. Tikka, Sako, Howa, Begara, FN, Ruger, etc. Howa even has an Oryx chassis rifle.

I also like the Accurate Shooter and 6BR websites.
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/
    https://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, if your primary goal is PRS & you want to be competitive, a Savage is not the answer. Though, neither is a Factory Rem.700, Tikka T3 or Howa 1500 Action! The Customs are the answer for PRS comp.

Savages are just great rifles with an awesome history in this country. The 110 is now the Longest running produced Action in US history. The Savage 110 IS America’s rifle! Some of us just really appreciate those aspects.

Does all Gen 3 short actions (110) have the same 4.400" screw spacing?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I always recommend visiting where you plan to shoot. Many of those groups may even let you try your hand with a loaner rifle, or at least let you look at what they are shooting.

If the build part isn't important there are other options out there as well. Tikka, Sako, Howa, Begara, FN, Ruger, etc. Howa even has an Oryx chassis rifle.

I also like the Accurate Shooter and 6BR websites.
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/
    https://www.6mmbr.com/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Here is a website that can educate you on the ins and outs of the PRS competition.
    https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/
    Your idea to go to a match is on target. There are several reasons that hardly any Savages make it into PRS. Not to say there are none but 99 percent graduate to an action that has less issues like feeding, heavy bolt lift and failure to extract when the heat is on. If you want to shoot PRS. Do not use a savage action unless the underdog position Is where you want to live. A custom action can be had for $350 more than a Savage repeater target action. You can spend a lot more but there is no need to pay 1700 for one.

Here is another good website for the info you are asking about. Fact based.
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...-rifle-action/

Thanks Guys!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Does all Gen 3 short actions (110) have the same 4.400" screw spacing?
    Yes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I That’s a decent price for a great rifle. It’s using the best Action Savage makes; the Large Shank, small port style in Stainless.
    Hey DH, I’d like to research more on the different types on actions Savage makes. Are there any online resources on different Savage actions?

And why do you believe the large shank is superior to the small one?

Thanks, friend

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subzerocg View Post
    Hey DH, I’d like to research more on the different types on actions Savage makes. Are there any online resources on different Savage actions?

And why do you believe the large shank is superior to the small one?

Thanks, friend
    SUB, if you haven’t yet, check out the homepage and read the articles & such in History. There is a plethora of information Jim has put together.

The Large shank isn’t superior, per se. Sorry, I didn’t mean to make that correlation. Just that the the Savage Target Action is considered to offer the highest level of Accuracy potential. Actually, the Single-Shot Target Action, but I like having a magazine. Now the Large Shank Action allows for a Heavier barrel sidewall around the cartridge chamber. 1.125” vs 1.062” That extra bit of steel directly around the Chamber offers more rigidity & so countering of any movement. That coupled with the enclosed Port style & then in the Single Shot, having NO magazine opening, these attributes can all add to highest level of consistency. And the name of game in seeking Accuracy is Consistency. The greater the consistency, the greater opportunity there is for better accuracy.

Basic Member
    Is Savage still selling actions in a box. I see people advertise them but never any on hand inventory.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Is Savage still selling actions in a box. I see people advertise them but never any on hand inventory.
    Any FFL can order a Savage Action by itself. A couple online retailers advertise them, as was discussed on page 1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12