Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Actions Source

Savage Actions Source

Other than buying a complete rifle such as new, pawn shop, individual, etc, is there a vendor that sales just an 10/110 action?

Thanks in advance.

Team Savage
    Try Northland Shooters Supply. They may be pull downs but they had what I wanted. Only one way to find out for sure.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Banned

Try show up in our classifieds from time to time. You could post a want ad in there and one will most likely turn up. You just need to be very descriptive of what you want due to the numerous variations that Savage has
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I only own two Savages, and both are stainless steel. Are the Savage actions sold by NSS steel and blued?

Basic Member
    You can get stainless or not- but either works good. The problem with buying a bare action is that you can pay more for it than a complete gun..... so unless you want a specialized option that is hard to find, it is usually cheaper to buy a parts gun.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    You can get stainless or not- but either works good. The problem with buying a bare action is that you can pay more for it than a complete gun..... so unless you want a specialized option that is hard to find, it is usually cheaper to buy a parts gun.
    Very true!

Team Savage
    Saw a Stainless rifle in .204 that I figured would be a good action for one of my builds. Pulled the action, posted the barrel and stock for sale without ever firing a shot. Sold both the next day. Got the action I wanted and by selling off the parts, made out pretty good.
    If someone else can do the "pull down thang", why not you?
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I appreciated the info all.

Basic Member
    Of all the sources listed, how many Savage Actions are actually “In Stock”, and available for purchase ? Looks like slim pickins to Me.

Basic Member
    Browsing the selection of actions on NSS and JA, I found this to be indeed true.

Why are action assemblies (with triggers, bottom metals, etc.) going for more expensive than complete Savage rifles on bass pro and other websites?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by subzerocg View Post
    Browsing the selection of actions on NSS and JA, I found this to be indeed true.

Why are action assemblies (with triggers, bottom metals, etc.) going for more expensive than complete Savage rifles on bass pro and other websites?

Thanks.
    Have also wondered the same. I know Bass pro , cabelas and Academy etc do there own special runs. Guessing that has something to do with it. I get mine off the used rack at gun shops and pawn shops if they aren't too crazy. Them pawn shops get nutty sometimes. Have bought several long actions for $175.00 to $200.00 from gun shop.
    Last one was a 110 or 111 in 30-06 detachable mag, bluing was real nice and trigger is sweet and smooth. Cheap plastic stock but had a nice sling and Vortex scope $225.00. Sometimes you get lucky, but don't seem to find many short actions. The few I have bought were from here or Accurate shooter forum.

Bought 1 new short action and it was from the original Jim at northland shooter's way back 2008 think it cost me $275.00. He gave me a deal on it and a barrel and something else. Just don't see any deals on new actions, I want another target action but just don't want to pay the asking price some are selling for. Better off buying a complete rifle and tearing it apart.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Banned
    I agree. Up until 2021, used rifles were a very inexpensive source of very good, and quite a few “low round count” Actions. It’s still a good means; however, prices are no longer the treasure trove they were. Several years ago any number of rifles could be found for under $300. My last Model 10 was $270. And let’s not forget what was likely the greatest deal going for a time… the 12FV sold exclusively from Cabela’s for $399 I believe it was. Those days are unfortunately now a memory. Amazing it was only a few years ago. “sigh”

Team Savage

Savage is in business to sell rifles, not actions, so naturally an action will be more expensive than a complete rifle. Think of it this way, how many people would walk into a sporting goods store to buy an action compared to those who want to buy ready to use rifles. Simple economics.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Savage is in business to sell rifles, not actions, so naturally an action will be more expensive than a complete rifle. Think of it this way, how many people would walk into a sporting goods store to buy an action compared to those who want to buy ready to use rifles. Simple economics.
    I wonder what they get into a barrel by the time they purchase/ machine and assemble? On the scale that they are doing it probably isn't much.... and most of the stocks (except the higher end options) wouldn't add much to the overall cost. I would still think that there's money to be made if they just grabbed some of the actions and shipped them because it's not adding any additional expense-- but the demand would not be high and it's easy to understand why they wouldn't want to bother.

I have been in stores that carried some of the target actions that were brand new and not take downs..... so they do it at least to some degree. Back when building on 700s was the thing to do it was not uncommon to see people pay the same (or more) for a bare action than a complete gun because they didn't want to bother with taking it apart and trying to sell it on ebay.

Basic Member
    Years ago a good friend was a gunsmith. He'd look for deals on actions and barrels. For example, one day a package showed up with 20 Mauser 98 actions in various states of disrepair that he paid $40 for (1980's). Some were rusted beyond repair, but, he made 5 good actions out of all of them.

Another time he got a batch (20?) of Remington 700 barrels from another gunsmith for about $5 apiece (half were 7mm mag and the other half were .308). The other smith was well known for his target rifles (mostly bench rest) and it was cheaper for him to order a barreled action than just the action.

One of those barrels was turned into a Contender barrel for me. I still kick myself for not getting one of those Mausers from him.

I found a Apex Storm XP 10/110 in .308 at the LGS on clearance for $499. I'm wanting to build a 6 GT and put in a chassis or would I be better off (cost effective) to buy a chassis rifle in 6 GT such as the Seekins Havak Pro ...i.e. ?

Never built anything in Savage so have a learning Curve..... I keep reading on the net that Savages have extraction/ejection issues and not sure if I'm missing something ??

Savage 57343 10/110 Apex Storm XP 243

Banned
    The Seekins Havak is a custom that uses the better aspects from the Rem 700 like trigger fitment & the floating bolt head from Savage 110. But it uses also proprietary a barrel. (They claim open source for drop in, but try to find one). Also, the term “Prefit” or “drop in” along with shouldered barrels typically means a very high specification for Min/Max headspace. It’s done like an AR15 in that regard. As for the 110 Apex, the only set back is the bottom bolt release.(BBR) Although most of the Chassis are fit for it. I’ll say this, the Seekins will likely feed/eject the 6mmGT better from jump street. Although any problem of Feeding/Ejection with the Savage can be remedied rather easily. But at $2400 up front for the Seekins, the Savage build will ultimately be cheaper & can be more readily afforded-being stretched out.

In all it’s not a great comparison. If you want a ready to go, off the shelf rig.. and you like the Seekins, go for it. Personally I’m not a fan. There are several other rifles I would look at in that price range over the Seekins Havak. And going further, I would still build my own, even if I was doing a custom Action. Savage appeals to those who want an inexpensive off the shelf hunting rifle, or those who just like to build their own, work on their own rigs. And of course, some of us just have a long relationship with & enjoy Savage rifles & Actions.

Basic Member
    I think that the Seekins Hit is the best deal out there- for what it offers at the price. The ones that I have seen have been amazing shooters-- and the people with them did have different barrels, but no idea how hard it was for them to get them. They have different packages- but they seem to go for closer to $2000.... and at that price I can't think of another switch barrel- well thought out chassis system (that takes multiple mag options) that would be better. They also have a great warranty and stand behind their products. BUT- you need to love it the way that it is..... because if you want to change it up then it is cheaper to build up something from the ground up the way you want it.

Hard to compare a van to a truck.... just different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The Seekins Havak is a custom that uses the better aspects from the Rem 700 like trigger fitment & the floating bolt head from Savage 110. But it uses also proprietary a barrel. (They claim open source for drop in, but try to find one). Also, the term “Prefit” or “drop in” along with shouldered barrels typically means a very high specification for Min/Max headspace. It’s done like an AR15 in that regard. As for the 110 Apex, the only set back is the bottom bolt release.(BBR) Although most of the Chassis are fit for it. I’ll say this, the Seekins will likely feed/eject the 6mmGT better from jump street. Although any problem of Feeding/Ejection with the Savage can be remedied rather easily. But at $2400 up front for the Seekins, the Savage build will ultimately be cheaper & can be more readily afforded-being stretched out.

In all it’s not a great comparison. If you want a ready to go, off the shelf rig.. and you like the Seekins, go for it. Personally I’m not a fan. There are several other rifles I would look at in that price range over the Seekins Havak. And going further, I would still build my own, even if I was doing a custom Action. Savage appeals to those who want an inexpensive off the shelf hunting rifle, or those who just like to build their own, work on their own rigs. And of course, some of us just have a long relationship with & enjoy Savage rifles & Actions.
    I'm not comparing them. I used the Havak Hit as an example. So let's hear the better options.

I think that the Seekins Hit is the best deal out there- for what it offers at the price. The ones that I have seen have been amazing shooters-- and the people with them did have different barrels, but no idea how hard it was for them to get them. They have different packages- but they seem to go for closer to $2000.... and at that price I can't think of another switch barrel- well thought out chassis system (that takes multiple mag options) that would be better. They also have a great warranty and stand behind their products. BUT- you need to love it the way that it is..... because if you want to change it up then it is cheaper to build up something from the ground up the way you want it.

Hard to compare a van to a truck.... just different things.
    Good information. Not really a van to truck comparison.......maybe a different make and model and/or trim levels. The way I look at things is it's a higher end production model, tighter tolerances, better QC and warranty.

I just don't know the ends/outs of the Savage and trying to weigh my options.

This may have been covered but just what is it you want to do with this rifle you want to buy or build. Are we looking for something that fits every discipline or that fits a particular task. Specific tasks are often cheaper in the long run.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I'm not comparing them. I used the Havak Hit as an example. So let's hear the better options.
    Only you can answer that. I said from my point of view. You may very well think it’s be best rifle out there. Which is why I also said if you like it & want a ready to go rig, grab it. But we aren’t here to discuss other rifles. I’m sure there is a forum dedicated to Seekins rifles that has all the information you could want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Only you can answer that. I said from my point of view. You may very well think it’s be best rifle out there. Which is why I also said if you like it & want a ready to go rig, grab it. But we aren’t here to discuss other rifles. I’m sure there is a forum dedicated to Seekins rifles that has all the information you could want.
    Fair enough, you are correct and forgot to mention. Paper and shooting steel to 1000 yards. I'm also kicking around the idea of PRS matches.

FYI- My LGS just called and said he has a 110 Elite Precision in 6 CM that he could let go for 1550.00 out the door.

Start with something like a bighorn origin(or whatever you like), buy a good trigger a good recoil lug. Buy a good barrel in the cartridge you want. Put it in a stock like the Bravo(upgrade hen you want). Get a few mags and a decent used scope.(Right now is the best time in a while to buy a decent used scope.) My $.02

What part of Texas?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast