Thread: Then and Now!!

Then and Now!!

15 years or so ago, My neighbor had a Savage Bolt gun, not sure exactly which model.. It did have an small plastic cross bolt thru the 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock position in closed position.. It had failed and caused him a deer season… 3 months later I had company from Texas with a 7 mag in the Savage lineup.. same thing happened???? Question lies here: I just picked that 1978 / medium action… It has what appears to be a steel cross bolt in it instead of black neoprene??? Or which ever substance it was made of….. When was this a change????? Extremely curious is all.. Snake

Banned
    Sorry partner. Your post is quite confusing. Perhaps someone else understands it better. But think we need better info here. Pictures are always good, once again.

Basic Member
    Dave,

He had contact with Savages 15 years ago that seemed to have plastic bolt head pins. He now has a 1978 model with a steel pin.

BT,

Not sure what you've seen but the modern guns have steel pins.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilertrash107 View Post
    15 years or so ago, My neighbor had a Savage Bolt gun, not sure exactly which model.. It did have an small plastic cross bolt thru the 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock position in closed position.. It had failed and caused him a deer season… 3 months later I had company from Texas with a 7 mag in the Savage lineup.. same thing happened???? Question lies here: I just picked that 1978 / medium action… It has what appears to be a steel cross bolt in it instead of black neoprene??? Or which ever substance it was made of….. When was this a change????? Extremely curious is all.. Snake
    Are these all 110 variants? I have 110's from the 50's, mid 70's, and post 2000, none have plastic bolt head retaining pins.

Look at this FAQ topic and tell us which pin was plastic - https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Assembly-Parts

Banned
    Same here.. I guess that’s my confusion. Is it the Bolt Head retaining pin being alluded to? Bolt Head was never mentioned.

If it is, could it be the Bolthead retaining pin for the larger diameter firing pins? Some of those were known to break. However, they were always steel, that I’ve ever seen.

Seen many, More than I can count. Zero plastic parts in the bolt.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.