Thread: Old style firing pin - new never fired action

Team Savage

Old style firing pin - new never fired action

I’ve run across an interesting (to me) situation. I bought a brand new target action (right bolt/right port) from Bruno’s. I thought it was odd that it was stamped 110 on the receiver as I was expecting it to be a 12. I called Savage and they confirmed it was manufactured in March 2023. I also asked why the bolt head wasn’t serialized and mentioned it looked odd, almost pitted. She asked for pictures and immediately sent me a shipping label to return it for work. Before sending it back I went ahead and screwed the barrel on and headspaced it to get a rough measurement of bullet depth at the lands. That’s when I also realized the bolt head was set for left ejection. Added that to my notes and sent it back. They had it about a week and a half and it was returned with a new bolt head that had been serialized. Gunsmith said all other aspects were within spec. So I took the bolt apart to remove the ejector and was surprised to find the old multi piece firing pin system in a brand new receiver. I started scratching my head thinking maybe someone along the way robbed some parts, but when I look at the BAS, the screw is a solid piece and was never intended to have a cocking indicator. It got even better when i reassembled it. I always put the handle on looking at the savage stamp on the side of the bolt. Got it together. Put it in and the sear wouldn’t stay locked on bolt close. That’s happened to me before when I installed the handle on the wrong side of the bolt, but I could see the Savage emblem on the bolt in the closed position. But it was upside down. Took it apart, flipped it over and reassembled and all was right with the world. So, I have a r brand new right bolt/right port target action that was apparently shipped with a right bolt/left port bolt and an old style firing pin.

Banned
    Yep.. that sounds like Savage. No matter though. I prefer the adjustable firing pin assemblies anyway.

Team Savage
    I’ve got no problems with them. It’s just you read “everything after 2019 is single piece….” In reality you just don’t know until you take it apart. I’ve got a 116 trophy hunter that has a 1 piece firing pin with a clocking indicator. Didn’t think they ever made that one.

Banned
    Well, you can tell immediately by it having a cocked indicator BAS or not. As you referenced, yours did not. That is the tell.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well, you can tell immediately by it having a cocked indicator BAS or not. As you referenced, yours did not. That is the tell.
    Dave are you saying I should have know it was the older firing pin because it did Not have a cocking indicator?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bks22345 View Post
    Dave are you saying I should have know it was the older firing pin because it did Not have a cocking indicator?
    I’m simply stating that is the tell. The newer style firing pin assemblies require the BAS with the hole through the center. If a bolt is equipped with the solid BAS (no hole), than it will have the older, adjustable firing pin assembly. There is also a hybrid firing pin assembly of sorts. It’s the adjustable type equipped with a cocking indicator. (pointless gimmick imho)

The "old adjustable" firing pins are still in production and used in the higher grade models. The newer non-adjustable firing pin assembly is primarily used in their more budget oriented models (package guns, Axis models, etc.) and some of the low volume specialty models like the 212 and 220 slug/turkey guns to help keep the cost down. Of course, that's not to says Savage wouldn't deviate from that "norm" due to supply chain issues.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain