Thread: My first 110 pattern build in 458 win mag

My first 110 pattern build in 458 win mag

Hello! I've been wanting a big bore woods thumper that I don't mind banging around for a while now. I happened upon a 2005 stevens 200 in 300 win mag that was in pretty rough shape visually but paid next to nothing for it and it cleaned up quite nicely. I'm still new to non chassis savages as my only other one is a 10 ba stealth in 308. From my searching here, the stevens is a blind mag staggered feed(mag body physically attached to the receiver) with a small shank barrel nut.

I'm going to use this action as a base for a 458 win mag build. I was gifted what I believe to be a long action accu stock with the full aluminum bedding. The action holes line up and I know I'll need an accu lug with my new barrel to use this stock, but what I can't seem to find is a block off plate to allow me to continue to run the blind mag. It would be sweet to run a bottom metal for aics mags, but my goal with this build is to keep the cost as low as possible.

I'm not saying I want to use cheap parts, just that if possible it would be both easier and cheaper to keep the current blind mag setup. I'll be using an e.r. shaw barrel. Here are some pics of what I have. If anyone has any info on the bottom plate for this stock it would be greatly appreciated!

Banned
    Do you have the bottom metal/trigger guard for it? I believe you’re looking at doing a custom setup. Not a problem. Just grab either some polymer sheet like Delrin, or Aluminum plate & cut out, file, sand to shape & fit.

Basic Member
    That's what I would do. The plastic bit would be my path. I like to use the thick plastic cutting boards as a source for HMWPU. It machines and shapes easily. Never tried to color it.

I don't have the bottom metal for the accu stock, im assuming that was probably one component in why it was a gift haha. I like the cutting board idea. I hadn't thought of that!

Banned
    Cutting board works if you have one laying around. However, you can order Black composite sheet from Amazon for the same price as a whole cutting board. They sell 1/4” sheets of ABS, HDPE, PVC & Delrin all in black. Another option readily sold is a laminate like G10 Phenolic & even Carbon Fiber!

Basic Member
    Have fun finding a .458 mag box.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Dave, thank you for the insight! I'll definitely do the black sheets option as opposed to butchering a cutting board.

Sharpshooter, unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be) the 300 win mag and 458 win mag share the same over all length and same parent case so using my factory 300 win mag box should work fine. I know the 458 lott is the same coal of the 375 h&h and requires a different mag box. I thought I read that here somewhere at least.

If it comes down to doing an aics bottom metal I will. Just wanted to skip the grinding on the receiver step of that if possible.
    Last edited by K128; 08-02-2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned
    Length is the same. But slightly different shape. Don’t see why a bit of modification won’t fix it. But do you have spring & follower?

Yes, the stevens 200 I bought is a complete rifle. I suppose I could order the barrel, get it headspaced and torqued down and run it in the tupperware stock that the stevens came in until I get the feeding sorted, then re-install the barrel with the acculug on the new stock later.

they are making black cutting boards now. I have used a couple for front rest plates for BR type shooting . I usually get 3 from a board. In this case Wal Nart has been supplier. I think cost was around $9.
    You are only limited by your imagination

Basic Member
    I always have pieces around from different projects. I should also add that I avoid Amazon as much as I can. Just an old bias.

Makes sense. Ill check out what options there are!