Thread: Axis ii light primer strike

Axis ii light primer strike

I picked up a new axis ii in 270 win last year. Adjusted the accutrigger pretty low, and put maybe a box or two through it last year, getting it sighted in and doing a little target shooting.
    Today (Aug 1) is the first day of black bear season. I went out this morning and was sitting against a tree, predator calling a stand of trees for bear- after a while I heard rustling behind me at about my 7 or 8 o'clock position. I turned around and saw a coyote coming out about 20-25 yards behind me. Found him in the scope, and… click. He ran off. I ejected the round and saw it was a very light primer strike. I haven’t had a failure to fire yet with this rifle- so this was an inopportune moment to say the least (Just glad it didn’t happen on a bear). Later I fired a couple rounds to see if it happened again (including the original failed round) and they shot fine and had normal firing pin indentations.
    So now I’m researching light primer strikes, and trying to think of what caused it.
    The ammo was factory Remington Core lokt, from a box that I have shot about half of already with no issues. Obviously, the first thing I’ll do is make sure the firing pin and channel are clean, although it’s been sitting in the safe since last year, so I don’t think it would’ve gotten to dirty.
    Here’s where I’d like some advice: I’ve come across two situations with Savages from reading online that seem plausible to me.
    1. I read that if you have the Accu trigger turned too low it can cause light primer strikes. Can anyone verify this? Could it be that I just need to turn it a little heavier on the trigger pull?

2. I also read that light primer strikes can occur if you pull the blade on the Accu trigger from a slight angle and not straight on. Considering that my shot was in a weird position- being twisted around and shooting behind me, I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t have my finger flush with the trigger blade?

I’m trying to rule out simple stuff first.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Banned
    No, the Accutrigger set to light, will trip the safety blade which stops the striker altogether. So no primer strike. If you only hade one, I wouldn’t worry about it. But if it happens again, you may have a weakening spring. You can shim the spring to add a bit more preload. This has worked for a few here. Or grab new striker spring components below.

https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=3421

https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=3424

https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=3422

Yep. If your round does not have a firing pin dent in the primer, it is the trigger safety blade.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I took the bolt completely apart and wiped it down. There was a fair amount of carbon and/or factory lube in there. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it again today though. Just curious what shimming the springs would entail? Adding an additional washer between the springs? I think if the problem persists I’ll just replace the springs though rather than shim it. I store my rifles bolt open, but wonder if storing it that way with the spring compressed could have weakened it- if it wasn’t a high quality factory spring used.

It had a light dent, about half as deep as usual.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter308 View Post
    I took the bolt completely apart and wiped it down. There was a fair amount of carbon and/or factory lube in there. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it again today though. Just curious what shimming the springs would entail? Adding an additional washer between the springs? I think if the problem persists I’ll just replace the springs though rather than shim it. I store my rifles bolt open, but wonder if storing it that way with the spring compressed could have weakened it- if it wasn’t a high quality factory spring used.
    Yes, that’s all shimming is. It just preloads the spring more. But Carbon fouling, grease, dirt, etc., is not a good thing & can impede striker power. Also, it’s fine to store it with the bolt cocked. Compressing a spring does not weaken it. Sane principle in keeping pistol magazines loaded all the time, which keeps the spring compressed. A spring is weakened by constant compression & expansion. So, it’s actually worse when people unload & load their magazines every day. However, most springs have thousands of “usage” hours before drastically weakening. The newer Savage firing pin spring system was simply not designed & carried out as well as it should have been. So it has been been somewhat plagued with problems.

Basic Member
    When I had trouble with mine I put all the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, then used a light application of graphite for lube. I also polished the contact areas of the FP.