Thread: Suppressed Questions

Basic Member

Suppressed Questions

Wondered how to get started shooting suppressed in break action platform. I've been a Contender / Encore shooter for over 30 years. Still have private land to hunt with supersonic loads in both platforms but want to keep shooting at home range without making so much noise. I live in the country and have a 120 yard range with safe backstop on six acres, but people have been moving closer as adjoining farms have sold and the noise of center fire shooting has become a nuisance for some although I am completely surrounded by woods and no one can see my range. These days, folks live close enough to be fairly well annoyed when I want to spend extended time at the bench. Lately I have been thinking about 300 BLK, 350 Legend, or even 357 Maximum carbine suppressed, but don't have much of a clue how to get started other than surfing the web. None of my shooting buddies shooting suppressed yet so no experience to draw on there. Local gun shop says they can set me up with the stamp and suppressor process, no problem, but what I really want to know is how quiet is shooting subsonic suppressed really. Is it truly quiet enough that my nearest neighbor won't hear anything. Their back door is 200 yards from my back door with a solid 15 year old tree field in between. Wondering which of the three calibers is easiest to set up for and reload for in terms of available components, accuracy, and etc. Which caliber would be quietest. Which suppressors work best. Lots and lots of questions. Haven't decided if Encore or Contender is best platform for me yet. Would probably get a custom barrel from Match Grade Machine, or possibly SSK, but not sure which length. Would probably use this for year round target shooting and plinking at the home range for fun mostly. Not sure I would hunt deer since I have so many supersonic barrels and calibers, but might give it a try if subs really work well out to 75 yards in the Indiana woods. I would be glad to hear any of your thoughts, experiences, advice, caliber and platform suggestions that have worked well for you when going down this road. I'm retired and like to shoot a lot and don't want to have to travel an hour plus to go to a range all the time when the back field is perfect except for the noise factor. Thanks for any and all input.

Hey Norm,
    I shoot suppressed quite a bit, the .300 Blackout is the only one of the calibers you mention that I can shoot with the can because it's a .30 caliber (Banish 30) with subsonic ammo it's very quiet and very accurate. I shoot a good amount of supersonic ammo through my can also and it's not obnoxiously loud either, the sound of the bullet hitting a deer in the ribs seems louder than the report from my .277 Wolverine. As far as loading, the .300 BLK brass can be made easily from .223/5.56 brass and there are lots of .30 caliber bullet options, subsonic loading is a little different in that you typically work down from the starting load. If you go with the .300 I have a superb load I'll share with you using the 200 grain Nosler Accubond. As far as suppressors go I really like my Banish 30 and Banish 22 from Silencer Central, they are 100% titanium construction and user serviceable.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Any decent suppressor probably wont be heard at 200 yards when firing subsonic ammo. Supersonic ammo will sound somewhere between a supersonic air rifle and a .22 LR. Most anything you might want to shoot out of a Contender will be safe to shoot without hearing protection. As far as deer hunting out to 100 yards, any caliber large enough to send 240-300 grain bullets downrange at 1000 FPS will take deer at any angle that presents itself and be pretty quiet as well. How far away can it be heard depends on many variables. An 8"-10" 45 Colt barrel is about perfect for this application. You don't need a long barrel for 1000 FPS and an 8" barrel with an 6"-8" suppressor is still pretty handy, especially if you get a tax stamp for the frame to legally shoot short barrels with a rifle stock.
    If and when you decide to buy, go to the Silencershop website and find the nearest dealer that has one of their electronic kiosks. These kiosks make all the red tape of buying a suppressor a breeze. Basically all you need is your ID, funds, and an idea of which suppressor you want. Silencershop and most of their dealers are very knowledgeable about what would best suit your needs and price range.
    Go for it. Get one, get it all set up, & have somebody ready to take a picture of the big grin on your face after you take the first shot. You'll be hooked.

Basic Member
    I have 5 barrels I shoot with a suppressor; I have 2 Gemtech 30 cal suppressors, you can shoot smaller calibers through them very effectively. I have 22LR, 5mm Rem mag, 22 hornet, 25-20 and 300 BLK. The 22LR sounds like an air rifle even through the 30 cal suppressor. The number one thing the suppressor does with subsonic loads is get read of the supersonic crack of the bullet and the blast of the fired round. With supersonic rounds you will still get the supersonic crack of the bullet as it breaks the sound barrier but elimates the crack of the fired round. If you choose the 300 BLK all powder manufactures have subsonic load data for it, if you want to hunt with it, I recommend 220 round nose either Sierras or Hornady's, from shooting the 300 Whisper and then the 300 BLK since the late 80's it performs much better than the pointed bullets, the round nose bullets will tumble and cause massive internal damage whereas the pointed bullets just drill a hole with much damage. On broad side shoulder hits the deer mostly just drops right there or maybe take a couple steps then piles up using those round nose bullets.

You just can't keep reducing minimum loads to get subsonic speeds, some powders you can't reduce the minimum loads more than around 10%, check your reloading manuels to make sure of the powders you can use in subsonic loads. Some powders have subsonic loads listed in their manuals.

Basic Member
    Norm I know exactly what you are faced with. We had 160 acres in country in the middle of no place, we shot anything anytime. We were gobbled up by urban sprawl so we sold that two years ago. 45 years ago we bought 5 acres in the middle of no place that our house currently sets on. Yep! you guessed it they are packed tight on all sides of us. If some of them see you outside with a firearm they will phone it in. I can tell you this the dead air mask with cci quiets and the BO with the silencero omega 300 using cast bullets and a light charge of Trail boss are very quiet. The nice thing about the break open platform you don't have to worry about sticking one. Your biggest worry will be backstop.

Basic Member
    I am appreciating all these excellent replies. And who knew - even in wide open Iowa. Love traveling through on US 34 on my way to the in-laws in Nebraska. Iowa is scenic especially if you get off I-80. So is Nebraska. In-laws live in Strang - population 29. I've thought about moving out there but all our grand kids are in Indiana - so probably a no go. Behind my tree field and range backstop is a one acre pond with a 10 foot high side wall. So I've got the backstop, then trees, then a 10 foot pond berm and more trees beyond that. So all that is good. I don't think I needed much encouragement to go the subsonic route, but all of this is helpful. Still wondering if any of you are shooting the 350 Legend with subs and how that compares to the Blackout for sound suppression. Haven't seen a lot of load data online for it and I don't cast my own so still pondering where to find the right bullets and other components. Seems like the 300 would be the easiest way to start. Looks like a research project...

Basic Member
    Interesting thread. I'm still shooting on my own range as I was 25 years ago. Before that going to ranges and not liking it was the incentive to buy the land in the first place so it is hard to think about giving it up. It is good to read such a thread however to become educated on the options.

Basic Member
    Ed I'm a member of two local ranges, one in WV and one in KY, the KY range has around 2000 acres under contract around their owned property, (former strip mine land), its now a game preserve and the KY DNR allows youth antlerless hunting on it about every 5 years, and the one in WV is 300 acres. about 30 years ago some property owners on the other side of one of the ridges where they were making a subdivision that tried to get it shut down, this property has been a gun range since the 1950's and we have a law here in WV that protects property from that type of action because it was there before, and everyone knew that.

Hi Norm, numero uno: educate yourself on suppressors, don't twist local gun shops unless they specialize in class 3 items, especially suppressors! I've read soooo many stories of a local shop talking someone into a can that does not, and cannot be changed, to accommodate their needs!

With the cartridges you're looking at, a Silencerco 36M (36caliber down to 22 caliber center fires) will work great. With experimentation, you can find a load thru a quality suppressor that the bullet impact at 25 yards makes more noise than the shot fired! That said, at 200 yards someone is still going to hear something, but it doesn't sound like a gun shot. Another suppressor that is extremely versatile is Silencerco 46M. It'll handle up to 45 caliber cartridges but can be run on 22 center fires. I have the older Hybrid46 and just today I was testing 8.6 Blackout (338 caliber) , with a 9mm front cap, and Makers 350's. It was so quiet that the bullet impact at 50 yards was louder than the shot!

As to cartridges, there's so much out there now that can be fun subsonic that is kind of hard to pick 1. The 300BLK is derivative an easy 1 to get started with due to enormous amount of data and 30 caliber bullets.

I believe that Winchester already offers a subsonic load for the 350 and you can work up loads for the max worth powders like trail boss that'll be extremely quiet.

I will warn, playing with suppressors can be very addictive! Also, if your taking the plunge and getting into this game, get a dedicated 22lr can, that'll also handle up to 5.7x28, like most of the Silencerco product, as they are a hoot, eccentric in 22 Hornet!

Basic Member
    Okay - I'm back. Thanks for all the input so far. And hello Mike. Good to see some of us guys from Specialty Pistols days are still around. Still more questions if anyone would care to reply to this already lengthy thread. So I got my 300 Blackout 16.25" threaded barrel from MGM. It is a thing of beauty. I'm putting together some loads to chronograph, but still up in the air with regard to which suppressor. My local dealer has a Silencer Shop kiosk. Everything is supposed to be easy. I was shown a Hyperion suppressor that was said to be "stupid" quiet. Their recommended can. Total titanium. $1000.00. Non user serviceable. Thus the questions. They say non user serviceable is not an issue. Doesn't have to be cleaned often. Other suppressors are part titanium. Part stainless steel. Less dollar cans have aluminum. My main interest is quiet as possible. Longevity. And is user serviceable a big issue. So many choices and hoping to make the right one from the start and not be disappointed down the road. The more I read the more it seems that powder choices also has something to do with the nature of sound suppression also. And does more $$ always equal better results. It sounds like some of you are getting good results already and are happy with your choices. Glad for any further input you may have before taking the plunge.

Basic Member
    The only reason you would need the can to be serviceable would be if you plan on shooting lead bullets. Lead will eventually build up and a bullet will strike it causing it to yaw or tumble and damage the can. If all you're gonna shoot is jacketed bullets a sealed can will be fine. I like the option of being able to shoot lead/cast bullets.
    If you can get by with a sealed can, I suggest that you check out the YHM R9. Its listed at $420 and will handle anything from .223 up to 350 legend. If you decide that you need something serviceable I suggest the JK 155 VersaX 30 or JK 155 VersaX 9. Both of these list for $449. I would choose the VersaX 9 and buy an xtra 30 cal end cap. You might not even need the extra end cap though. I would try it with the 9mm end cap first. You can always buy the extra cap later.
    There are lots of YouTube videos on just about any can you might be interested in. Alabama Arsenal and NFA Review Channel make excellent videos and are very knowledgeable about suppressors.
    I'm sure there are other options but these are the ones I would consider with the parameters you defined. No, more $$$$ does not always mean better performance. A can made from Aluminum & SS may sound as good or better than one made with Ti but the Ti will always cost more. Most suppressor companies offer a lifetime warranty. I know JK Armament does. Yes, powder choice can make a big difference in the tone/sound. Powders with the lowest pressures will generally give the best tone for the same velocity. I hope you get something that makes you happy.

User serviceable cans were a must have for me, especially the rimfire one. I also like the weight savings of the 100% Titanium cans. I went with the Banish 30 and Banish 22 from Silencer Central and am well pleased with my choice. I would like to have a big bore can for the bigger bores though.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I also went the banish 30 & 22 route thru silencer central. Still waiting on the government to do their part. Silencer Central made it very easy. Meanwhile I had most of my barrels threaded by a great gunsmith on GBO. Threaded all 3 of my 17hmr's, 22 hornet, both 223 and 22-250. Jumping into the silencer world with both feet. I too just got forced retirement due to disability. So now I'm recently learning how to reload also.
    If your looking to get your barrels threaded, look up CrashDoyle on GBO.

Basic Member
    https://www.griffinarmament.com/bush...rsal-silencer/

Here is another one to consider, they also have it in 45 cal if you ever want to get a larger bore. It will handle everhthing you have. I have a Liberty Mystic-x and am happy with it, but I am restricted on barrel length for some cartridges. It is not the absolute quietest, but it meets my needs just fine.

Subsonics can be "giggle" quiet, supersonic rounds will sound anywhere from an unsuppressed 22LR high velocity to barely louder due to the sonic crack. You will be good with anything you chooses as long as it is rated for your cartridges.
    Right is not always easy, but still right.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the replies. This is the kind of information I need to help me make a decision. Now I just need to jump in and get started with a suppressor. Made it to the range yesterday with a few loaded rounds. Haven't purchased any factory ammo yet. Started with Starline brass, Winchester primers and some 208 grain Hornady blems from Midway for the subsonics using W296 and published loads from Sierra. Everything chronographed fairly consistent around 975 for the starters and 1070 for loads closer to the higher end while remaining below supersonic. Happy with those results, but the accuracy is not quite there yet. About 1.25 inches at 50 yards. Not to my liking. More work needed. Maybe try some other bullets and weights. On the supersonics though, I am well pleased. First try with starting load of W296 and Speer 130 grain hollow points right around 2,025 fps and 10 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. That's more like it. Everything is low recoiling and the subs are like shooting my 10-22 (maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much). I'm sure things are going to come together and it's going to be a lot of fun. Had a good day letting a few rounds fly. Thanks again for all the advice!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. This is the kind of information I need to help me make a decision. Now I just need to jump in and get started with a suppressor. Made it to the range yesterday with a few loaded rounds. Haven't purchased any factory ammo yet. Started with Starline brass, Winchester primers and some 208 grain Hornady blems from Midway for the subsonics using W296 and published loads from Sierra. Everything chronographed fairly consistent around 975 for the starters and 1070 for loads closer to the higher end while remaining below supersonic. Happy with those results, but the accuracy is not quite there yet. About 1.25 inches at 50 yards. Not to my liking. More work needed. Maybe try some other bullets and weights. On the supersonics though, I am well pleased. First try with starting load of W296 and Speer 130 grain hollow points right around 2,025 fps and 10 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. That's more like it. Everything is low recoiling and the subs are like shooting my 10-22 (maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much). I'm sure things are going to come together and it's going to be a lot of fun. Had a good day letting a few rounds fly. Thanks again for all the advice!
    Personally, I would save my components for accuracy testing until after I get a suppressor because all the barrel harmonics are gonna change when you screw a 6-16 oz. chunk of metal on the end. Some cans make accuracy worse and some make it better but if you work up your loads with the can attached you'll know that they're the best that they can be. One more thing about user serviceable cans is to use some kind of reference point such as the logo or serial number on the outside of the can to line up the baffles in the same position inside the outer tube every time. Doing this will minimize any shift in POI when you reattach the can.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    Personally, I would save my components for accuracy testing until after I get a suppressor because all the barrel harmonics are gonna change when you screw a 6-16 oz. chunk of metal on the end. Some cans make accuracy worse and some make it better but if you work up your loads with the can attached you'll know that they're the best that they can be. One more thing about user serviceable cans is to use some kind of reference point such as the logo or serial number on the outside of the can to line up the baffles in the same position inside the outer tube every time. Doing this will minimize any shift in POI when you reattach the can.
    Good thinking. All these replies are good. Your experiences will help me get it right the first time. When it takes $200.00 for the stamp and 9 months of waiting, plus the money for the can, there's no way to try them out and trade for another one if you're unhappy!

Basic Member
    FYI, JK-Armament has a deal going right now on their .30 cal. cans. Buy one and get a free .22 can. You'll still have to pay for the stamp but the can is free. The best deals/discounts on suppressors are usually on the days in and around black friday. I've seen some awesome deals during that time period but didn't have my $$$ right. I'll probably wait until then to buy my next one though.

I'm just starting to set up my new Bullberry 16.5" 25-45 barrel (Troy reworked the 25-45 Sharps reamer to make a tighter chamber and he's designated it 25-45 Bullberry). The barrel is threaded for a linear compensator so I can shoot it as a carbine with less muzzle blast. I realized that I can look at 25 ACP bullets and sub sonic loads and think about getting a supressor to thread on the barrel. For that matter, I could probably work up sub-sonic loads with heavier 25-35 bullets. :)
    I'm pretty sure there's a fairly deep rabbit hole looming in my future.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    FYI, JK-Armament has a deal going right now on their .30 cal. cans. Buy one and get a free .22 can. You'll still have to pay for the stamp but the can is free. The best deals/discounts on suppressors are usually on the days in and around black friday. I've seen some awesome deals during that time period but didn't have my $$$ right. I'll probably wait until then to buy my next one though.
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    I'm just starting to set up my new Bullberry 16.5" 25-45 barrel (Troy reworked the 25-45 Sharps reamer to make a tighter chamber and he's designated it 25-45 Bullberry). The barrel is threaded for a linear compensator so I can shoot it as a carbine with less muzzle blast. I realized that I can look at 25 ACP bullets and sub sonic loads and think about getting a supressor to thread on the barrel. For that matter, I could probably work up sub-sonic loads with heavier 25-35 bullets. :)
    I'm pretty sure there's a fairly deep rabbit hole looming in my future.
    I am an incorrigible rabbit chaser myself!