Thread: 99 reloads

Basic Member

99 reloads

Hello
    Question to99 owners who reload.
    Do you use the reloading manual OAL or do you try to set the bullets .02 to .03 off the lands like a bolt gun.
    ?
    I am well aware of making the rounds fit in the rotary mag, but 99,s that I currently own, tend to not have any issue with that.
    I usually try to set the bullets .2 to.3 off the lands and have decent to good results, just curious what others do.
    I also understand 99s shoot minute of deer and they are not bench rest rifles, I however, do want my 99s to be as accurate as they can be.
    Thank you.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

For the 99 I typically stay pretty close to the recommended OAL but as long as they work through the magazine you are good to go.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    For the 99 I typically stay pretty close to the recommended OAL but as long as they work through the magazine you are good to go.
    Pretty much as I do with my two 250's and one 300 Savage 99's. Load only Hornady 75 grain plastic tips and Speer/Sierra 87 grain SP's in the 250's and 150 grain Speer SP's in the 300. Playing around some with cast bullets also in both calibers. So far I haven't worked up loads where every shot is 1" MOA or less but they are all close. As BobT mentioned, I go by what the loading manual recommends for whatever bullet I'm using. The short neck of both calibers do restrict things a bit.

Being the 99 model isn't able to tack driving accuracy like a bolt gun can produce I'm pretty satisfied with what accuracy I do get, although I always strive for those clover leaf groups. Since I can't hunt deer here in Iowa with either caliber, they are just expensive target guns, fun ones at that. Although I do take my 99G 250 with Stith mounts and Vintage Weaver 4x scope out once in a while coyote hunting. leaving my Savage .223 and Ruger 250 Savage bolt guns at home. The 99G can reach out and hit the mark.

Basic Member
    I’ve hesitated to comment because I haven’t hand loaded for either of my 99s (243 & 300 Sav) yet. Regarding the short neck issues, my plan is to go monolithic. A Copper or Guilding Metal bullet will be longer than a jacketed bullet of the same weight. 150 Gr Nosler E-tips in .308 have been out of stock since COVID, so it’s kinda delayed my plans.

Basic Member
    So far I’ve been loading to COAL in the book. I’m still new to reloading for my 300 savage but so far so good. 150gr round nose and varget powder.

Basic Member
    I love Varget powder. Besides the 300 Savage, I use it in 250 Savage, 30/06, and .223/5.56mm. Clean burning, accurate. IMR 3031 and RL15 also work well (accurate) in my 250/300 Savage rds. IMO Varget reminds me of Unique powder for handgun reloads. Wide range of calibers and bullet applications available, hope Varget never goes away.