Thread: Savage ?? Single shot Bolt??

Savage ?? Single shot Bolt??

I’ve been directed here, from the Cody folks, …. Tried both searching on Savage site… and finally called em and all I found out is they basically cannot help me figure what I’ve recently acquired..
    My background is a reloaded/paper punching fan… ( recreation only) .. Been searching for a single shot bolt gun I could swing,being retired…. GOT ONE!!!! now for the big question!!
    Definitely a Savage, from 75-79 era…. This ol gal has been repiped with a McGowen,26” heavy target barrel..
    Other than a serial number on receiver ,there is no evidence f what model I have…
    Serial ## is C845603.. Chambered in 250 Savage.
    Appreciating any and all suggestions.. Kinda embarrassing to show it off, when I’m not sure what the heck I bought?.
    Thanks in advance, TMS

Banned
    It was made in 1978. You likely have a model 112V Series J. It’s been rebarreled, so no way of telling what cartridge it started life as. Does it resemble the below picture? Measure the distance between the centers of the Action Screws. It will be the standard 5.062” Long Action or 4.522” Short Action.(Intermediate)

Banned
    Oh, and if it is like the one above, you want to post any other questions in the 110 Forum.

Eureka!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It was made in 1978. You likely have a model 112V Series J. It’s been rebarreled, so no way of telling what cartridge it started life as. Does it resemble the below picture? Measure the distance between the centers of the Action Screws. It will be the standard 5.062” Long Action or 4.522” Short Action.(Intermediate)

I believe we’ve got it Dave!! Thank you for responding!, after about a week of scrambling,WE (my local FFL) and I ,went back to drawing board!! What it turns out is this is a med action flatback, They are saying it’s a 10/110 series from the Serial number..C845603.. Thank YOU for helping !! Hope
    Jeanette my FFL, says after 30 years, it’s the first medium action she’s ever seen….. Again thanks a million ! TMS

4.522 action screws/ 4.09 center spread/3.275 ejection port opening…

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boilertrash107 View Post
    4.522 action screws/ 4.09 center spread/3.275 ejection port opening…

Ahh, you have the 110S Silhouette. Besides the stock being different between, the 110S had a 22” barrel, while the 112V had a 26”. Does yours look like this one below then? Sorry I took so long answering. I just saw your post today. That’s why I recommended the 110 forum from now on. Had it been there, I or one of many others would have answered immediately. The 112V & Silhouette 110S were “Series J”, single shot built on the Intermediate 4.522” Action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	9703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	9700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	9701

110 ??? Hell of a time posting…. Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	9700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	9701
    figure I’ll get in line here soon Folks…. Thank you all!!

How does a fella add pictures…?? I’m all screwed up…!!

Banned
    What does the butt stock look like? The first or 2nd pic I posted?

I prefer using this site. https://imgbb.com/ Upload an image, then click on the image & copy the “BBCode”. Then just paste it right in the thread. You get a full-size image 3rd party hosted. And you don’t have to join that site or even give your name/email. It’s completely anonymous & free.

Team Savage

Moved to correct forum...

Banned
    Hey Boilertrash.. pretty sure you have a 112V “J series”, not a 110S. Based on your picture, can tell by the stock. Look at the first picture I posted. It’s the exact same.

Same Action as a 110. Stripped down they can’t be distinguished apart. The model numbers simply tell tell the various characteristics: Stock, Barrel Length/Prifile, colors, etc.

Thanks a million Dave!!

Banned
    Thanks a million Dave!!
    No worries.. That’s what we do here. Your FFL was correct, in that regardless if it’s a Model 111, 112, 114 or 116, they are all 110 Actions. But as I indicated, the Devil’s in the details.

Team Savage
    Back in the day, one of the guys on here was a BIG collector (?) of the 220 Swift in 110/112 V rifles. He had a "few".
    My first Savage is a 110V (J series) in .223. Been a test bed for just about everything. It'll be mine till the day I die than, someone else will have to deal with it. It's been a good teacher.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mikie View Post
    Back in the day, one of the guys on here was a BIG collector (?) of the 220 Swift in 110/112 V rifles. He had a "few". My first Savage is a 110V (J series) in .223. Been a test bed for just about everything. It'll be mine till the day I die than, someone else will have to deal with it. It's been a good teacher.
    Oh crap! Yeah.. I forgot there was a 110V as well. Lol! Honestly I don’t know the difference between the 112V & 110V without looking them up. From sight, it’s easy to distinguish the 110S & 112V. But the 110 & 112 “V’s” look the same at face value. I think I’ll go research it now.

EDIT: Wait… is the only difference being the 112V J is single shot, & the 110V J is a 5-shot blind mag?

Homemade wine going on back there?

Yes Sir!! Been at it for some 20 years…. Actually not a bad hobby…. Easy to find enough folks hat do drink he stuff…..haha Me, I’m. Wild Turkey fan….😍

Team Savage
    "EDIT: Wait… is the only difference being the 112V J is single shot, & the 110V J is a 5-shot blind mag?"

110V (J). blind mag attached to the action body. High Score single shot follower installed. Ejector rod and spring removed from bolt head. Brass stays on the bolt head till YOU take it off.
    And the J series actions were the "inbetweeners". Shorter than the now long actions and longer than the now short actions.
    Seems like at that time, Savage was starting to standardize their action sizes/lengths?
    Getting parts for the J series guns could be fun? Ended up having a scope mount "custom made" that matched all the holes and didn't block any of the action loading port opening. You do what you need to do to get what you want.
    And finding a stock could be fun too. Easy enough to have escutcions made for the front action screw. Move the recoil lug hole a bit, install the escuction and it fits like the glove upon the hand. Looks slick too. The front of the action length is the only difference. Move the lug hole forward on a short action stock and bed as needed.

Banned
    One thing Mikie, the “J Series” had nothing to do with the Action length. The J was simply to designate a new version.

Look here: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...32536-Series-J

Team Savage
    Still an "inbetweener" till they got standardized. Try to find a short action stock with the action screw spacing that fit. Or, a scope mount that fits all the holes. An oddball for sure but I love mine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Still an "inbetweener" till they got standardized. Try to find a short action stock with the action screw spacing that fit. Or, a scope mount that fits all the holes. An oddball for sure but I love mine.
    There are 110’s (& I believe 112’s) with the standard 5.062” Long Action screw spacing, which are marked “J Series”. As for stocks, Boyd’s offers 10 different models with the 4.5” spacing. However, I agree there aren’t many, maybe no other manufacturers with stocks for the 1st Gen Short Action.

Love the hell out of this single shot.. Have a gun safe full of 1885’s, Ruger 1&3, Browning BPCR Now this old girl.. waiting on my mounts, will put one of my Vortex eyepieces and we’ll soon find out…..lol. I’m out in the pickers, so we shoot off my rear deck or off the side on my bench…. NO driving anywhere…����

The "inbetweener" as you call it is more accurately called the Gen 1 short-actions that were made from 1958-1988. These Gen 1 actions are approximately 0.540" shorter than the standard long-action receivers. It wasn't until 1998 that Savage finally came out with a "replacement" short-action, the Gen 2, which was 0.850" shorter than the standard long-action or 0.310" shorter than the Gen 1 short-action, with an action screw spacing of 4.275". The current Gen 3 short-actions have the same overall length as the Gen 2 actions, but have a slightly longer 4.40" action screw spacing to accommodate the newer detachable box magazine and hinged-floorplate magazine bottom plate designs.

As Dave finally noted, the "J-Series" has nothing to do with the action length or screw spacing, but rather is a part revision indicator used by Savage to know which version of a given part or parts should be used if the rifle ever comes back to them for repair. At this point the "Series" indicator is meaningless as none of those various revisions of the parts have been made for several decades and nobody knows what the small changes were anyway.

If you want some detailed reading on the history of the 110-series rifles, I recommend reading the five articles linked to below. To of them were written by Robert "Bob" Greenleaf for the now defunct "Precision Shooter" magazine. Bob was an engineer at Savage Arms from 1964 - 1988 when he was forced into retirement due to company going into bankruptcy protection, but continued to do consulting and testing work for Savage on a contractual basis into the mid 2010's. Sadly Bob left us in the summer of 2017 at the age of 94.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...?294-model-110
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain