Thread: Choate Stock Modification

Choate Stock Modification

Hello I am a new member of this community but I have owned a savage axis for a couple years now and I’m looking to modify my rifle and I thought of many different options as far as chassis and stocks goes and I would like to put the Choate rifle stock on my rifle, but obviously it doesn’t fit the axis Product line and I would like to have any recommendations at all on how I can modify the chassis to make it fit the rifle and of course, any help would be much appreciated. I am relatively new at this.

Banned
    No, it will not work. It’s not just a matter of drilling a new Action Screw location hole, or relieving a bit of material for such & such component. Everything is oriented different with the Axis. The Actions are very different, even though they use the same Barrels & barrel Nuts. The Bolt Handle is located differently, the Action Screw lengths, trigger guard & recoil lug placement as well. There is simply too much different between the 110 & Edge/Axis Actions. I’ve never even heard of a stock swap & don’t believe it can be done. Even if it could somehow work, it would require extreme modifications. And you stated you’re relatively new.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    No, it will not work. It’s not just a matter of drilling a new Action Screw location hole, or relieving a bit of material for such & such component. Everything is oriented different with the Axis. The Actions are very different, even though they use the same Barrels & barrel Nuts. The Bolt Handle is located differently, the Action Screw lengths, trigger guard & recoil lug placement as well. There is simply too much different between the 110 & Edge/Axis Actions. I’ve never even heard of a stock swap & don’t believe it can be done. Even if it could somehow work, it would require extreme modifications. And you stated you’re relatively new.

Where did that guy go that loves DIY'ers.

But you are right, it would take a lot of milling and measuring to get you there using a long action stock.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yep, I wouldn't say impossible, especially if you have access to a milling machine and know how to use it :) Still not a job for someone who hasn't done something similar before. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Where did that guy go that loves DIY'ers.

But you are right, it would take a lot of milling and measuring to get you there using a long action stock.
    LOL! I certainly wouldn’t buy a stock just to attempt this modification. And if I already had one laying around, I would sell it and use that towards a similar stock intended for the Axis. There are others close in style & price to the Choate stocks. And to be perfectly honest, the other options are simply better quality.

i'm sure there's an aftermarket stock which has an ample supply of detachable mags out there. perhaps a stock platform where there isn't a detachable mag but a mag well that's fed through the top when the bolt is pulled back. if i had the cash to do such that, i would. those hoarders won't spit up a few mags from their stash.