Thread: 110 Carbon Predator

110 Carbon Predator

Does anyone have any experience with the new proof research barrels that Savage is using in their new Carbon predator line of rifles? 57932 is the model I am looking at and I'm having second thoughts on purchasing one sight unseen, no shops stock these anywhere near me. I can't imagine a carbon wrapped barrel shooting any better than a comparable Savage steel barrel in the same caliber. Maybe it's just a new trick to cut weight and increase price, I don't know but looking for other shooters reviews who actually have used carbon wrapper barrels before and can share their experience.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the new proof research barrels that Savage is using in their new Carbon predator line of rifles? 57932 is the model I am looking at and I'm having second thoughts on purchasing one sight unseen, no shops stock these anywhere near me. I can't imagine a carbon wrapped barrel shooting any better than a comparable Savage steel barrel in the same caliber. Maybe it's just a new trick to cut weight and increase price, I don't know but looking for other shooters reviews who actually have used carbon wrapper barrels before and can share their experience.
    Do the research on their barrels and the "other" companies that use them before you jump on the bandwagon for a hunting rifle.

Banned
    It’s for weight savings only. Nothing else. They don’t shoot better, allow for increased accuracy, less recoil or anything of the sort. If lightweight is your end goal in a hunting hunting rifle, you will be rewarded. If you aren’t moving much, lugging the rifle around and instead firing from blinds & such, it won’t serve anything for the added cost.

Ok well thank you for the insight, I appreciate it very much. I'm going back to my original plan, 110 stainless for half the price of that carbon thing.

Basic Member
    Just out of curiosity, what 110 in SS interests you most?

Well I'm looking for a 223 so Savage has limited choices, any other caliber and there would be way more selection. 110 Apex storm xp is what I settled on, 20 inch barrel is a plus for me also. I have a heavy barrel 110 in 223 that shoots very well, just looking for something a bit different and lighter weight.

Basic Member
    Well I'm looking for a 223 so Savage has limited choices, any other caliber and there would be way more selection. 110 Apex storm xp is what I settled on, 20 inch barrel is a plus for me also. I have a heavy barrel 110 in 223 that shoots very well, just looking for something a bit different and lighter weight.
    That`s precisely the gun I have. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I`ve enjoyed mine.

Banned
    What about the 110 Lightweight Storm? Thing is a featherweight!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    What about the 110 Lightweight Storm? Thing is a featherweight!
    I looked at that model but it doesn't interest me, it's too lightweight and I don't like the receiver cutouts and spiraled bolt. The regular apex storm will serve me well as long as the accuracy is there.

Basic Member
    I looked at that model but it doesn't interest me, it's too lightweight and I don't like the receiver cutouts and spiraled bolt. The regular apex storm will serve me well as long as the accuracy is there.
    Well, as you know, it`s a hunting rifle in all respects. Mine is VERY accurate and precise with loads that it likes. Expect it to warm up with resulting stringing after three successive rounds.

Banned

LOL! So you want lightweight, but not THAT light.. I agree… I don’t like rifles under like 8lbs at least. They feel flimsy! Well, your initial choice was the one then. The Storm XP.

I put the order in yesterday and that's a very hard rifle to find, 110 storm xp is available in very few if any places. Every supplier is out of stock and my FFL couldn't get it either. I found one in stock at "Buds" so I ordered it, hopefully their inventory is correct.