Thread: Older rifle fit newer stock?

Basic Member

Older rifle fit newer stock?

Have a rifle from the mid 2000s, a 243 converting to 35 remington for the wife and kid.. would like an adjustable or shorter stock so looking at the newer stocks offered on the newer rifles from the last few years.. any issue fitting the older actions to the newer stocks or is it a drop in? This particular rifle has a detachable box mag

Edit: I noticed the newer stocks I'm seeing are bottom bolt release (mine is TOP). Will these also work if I just dremel out a slot for.tje bolt release? Would like to stick with a factory savage stock for the adjustable LOP

Basic Member
    My understanding is there are 3 varieties of short actions and 2 varieties of bolt release mechanisms. So the answer is be careful. What is the bolt spacing and bolt release of your action. In such a case I would call Boyds and they can guide you. I recently got an AT One that I really like.

Banned
    Yours is a standard 3rd Gen 4.40”, Round back, TBR Action. It will fit any stock for 4.40” spacing. If the stock was originally for BBR, it can be relieved for TBR.

Food for thought: the KRG Bravo would be direct drop in & uses AICS mags.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave! Nice looking stock but trying to keep cost down as its just for my wife and kids, will be used as a deer rifle only. Had built it in 358 then found a left hand action for myself, this one will be 35 rem for them, but wasn't thinking about LOP

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yours is a standard 3rd Gen 4.40”, Round back, TBR Action. It will fit any stock for 4.40” spacing. If the stock was originally for BBR, it can be relieved for TBR.

Food for thought: the KRG Bravo would be direct drop in & uses AICS mags.
    What about the recoil lug? Don't the newer accu/accu fit stocks use a different lug? So I'd need to just switch the lug to a newer style, correct?

Basic Member
    Ok, sorry to be a nuisance... the stock I'm looking at isn't the accufit system, it's just the "engage" package stock with the spacers. Not the accu fit system. It doesn't have the aluminum bedding or doesn't appear to have pillars for that matter. Which recoil lug for this one?

Another option is to order a a boyds... if I go thst route should I pay the extra for the pillars? Just a hunting rifle

Banned
    Yes, you are right about the Lug. But it’s nothing special. Just a bit different shape, thinner on the sides. You can cut/grind & sand your stock lug nut f need be. If the one stock is not the Accu, it should fit any recoil lug. Regardless of the stock, it should be bedded. (If it’s not the Aluminum bed chassis style.) So, if you are unable, I’d rec. getting the one with the pillars at least. But then, if you are trying to save money you can always just bed your current stock.

Regular vs Accufit Lug

Basic Member
    Well after contacting the guy he said it was for bottom bolt release, mine is top, any issue in the trigger guard area? Or the magazine metal area? My action and his stock are both detachable mags

Banned
    As for the Action fit, it will. An area would need relieved (grinder is fine) for the TBR. As for the bottom metal, I can tell you anything can me modified to fit. However, I cannot say what, if any modification need be done there. Likely yes, but I don’t have the parts at my disposal for an immediate where, what, when, who, why.

I would look on Ebay though. I see these stocks for sale all the time and in Top Release & and very affordable.. Like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22523883010...3ABFBMjIH43q5i

Basic Member
    Saw that one but it has the varmint profile. Lots of those buy I don't want an overly large gap either