Thread: Functioning problem

Basic Member

Functioning problem

I have a Model 10 BA Stealth that was originally chambered in 6.5 Creedmore. I replaced the original barrel with another factory 6.5 CM without any problems. Now I have put on a new 6BRX barrel from Xcaliber. The rifle shoots wonderfully but doesn’t function well. It isn’t ejecting properly and I can’t seem to fix it.
    After firing a shot I pull the bolt back and the case extracts. As I continue to pull the bolt back the case is pinned to the right side of the receiver by the ejector as it probably should be. But then it seems to drop off the extractor before it can eject. The case ends up laying on top of the next round in the magazine.
    The extractor is a loaner from another of my Savages, a 6.5x47 Lapua. The original extractor had a piece break off.
    So what do I do to get this baby to eject properly?

Banned
    New Extractor with the larger bearing ball under it. I actually like these kits as it’s a better Ejector as well with a heavier spring. Great little kit with the bigger bearing ball included.

https://kinneysshootingsupply.com/ss...r-ejector-kit/

Basic Member
    The extractor fix will probably do it.

The problem is the short case of the 6BR. As you noticed the ejector is pushing on the case. As the case leaves the chamber it gets pushed sideways. The shorter case allows it to be tipped to a larger angle, letting the case slip out from under the extractor. Factory extractors are a minimal design and just barely work even with longer cases. The aftermarket ones, especially with the larger ball bearing, seem to do the trick.

If I still had an ejector in my 6BR I could tell you for sure, but, I set mine up so it won't eject the case.

Basic Member
    Thanks very much for the guidance. You guys have an amazing amount of knowledge about our Savages. I ordered the kit from Kinneys.

Basic Member
    Hello. I swapped out the broken extractor for the larger one from Kinney’s but the problem remains the same. Any ideas about what to do next?
    BTW, is the kit from Kinney’s the same as the one from your site sponsor?

Basic Member
    So, yeah, I think the problem is the short 6BR case. It allows the case to pivot further and the extractor can't hang on to it. I don't know if there is a fix in this case. Maybe someone with a factory 6BR can say if theirs works as intended.

I like not having the ejector on mine :)

Banned
    Did you swap ALL the components? You only indicated replacing the Extractor.

If so, does it happen whether racking the bolt back slow or fast? I agree with Charlie. Many people ultimately just have problems with the BR case because it’s SO short. There are a couple tricks that have worked for this or that person. One is lengthening the Ejector protrusion by filing the back stop slightly. Like in the picture below.

Basic Member
    Actually I only swapped the extractor. I just had the ejector out and put in a fresh spring. It appears that the ejector is working fine. I’ll try contacting Sharp Shooter Supply and see if he has any tricks.
    I have a Savage 6BR F-class that I think ejects brass well. I’ll see if the extraction on that one is any different.

Banned
    It has nothing to do with the Ejector working fine. It’s all about the BR case being SO short! The case is pushed by the ejector, but the ejector isn’t long enough so it stops, but the short case continues it’s angle to the side & the case rim falls from the Extractor catch. That’s what is happening. The point of the larger bearing ball & new Extractor is to have a tighter hold. The point of what I just posted is to give the Ejector a longer extension. That is the problem. If you didn’t use the larger bearing ball, use it. Actually, a little lighter ejector spring may help. Some have clipped a coil or two from the ejector spring so it has a little less energy pushing the case. Again, it’s the super short case of the 6BR. Idea is, the slightly weaker spring may keep the ejector from push a bit less keeping the rim from slipping the Extractor just a fraction of a second longer, until it clears. Although, it’s likely the trade off would be a very weak extraction.

Fred is going to tell you the same things. It’s no big secret that only a coupe level “Eleventy-Seven degree” Master Gun-Smiffs possess. LOL! Little bit of research tells you all these “tricks”. But, best of luck to ya.

Basic Member
    Just double checking.... but you keep saying that you just swapped the extractor--- but you are including the larger steel ball in that?

Also- I'd double check your original extractor-- because lots of people think that they have chipped a corner off of it- but depending on the cartridge it may have come from the factory like that.

In my opinion it is not the short case that is the problem....(because other plunger style bolt actions have no problems with them). Savage rifles just don't have as good of extraction/ejection. The Savage 6br's that I've seen could be made to work pretty good if it was a single shot..... but when you add a magazine and more rounds it seems to create more issues. And lastly- what brass are you using?

Check part numbers to see if the BR models are using a shorter plunger, and / or weaker spring.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunracr View Post
    BTW, is the kit from Kinney’s the same as the one from your site sponsor?
    Manufactured by SSS and sold by Kinney's.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b
    I like not having the ejector on mine :)
    Same with my 7BR and also removed the one on my 6.5CM as well, unnecessary when shooting benchrest IMHO.

Basic Member
    The larger ball bearing is all that I installed but I’ll go ahead and put in the new ejector as well. I’ll also try taking.020 from the ejector notch per Dave’s suggestion. BTW I use Lapua brass.
    I’m going to be really bummed if I bought this new barrel and can’t use it.

BTW, I use this rifle for PRS style shooting so going to a single shot isn’t realistic.
    Last edited by Gunracr; 07-25-2023 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Omitted a comment

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Check part numbers to see if the BR models are using a shorter plunger, and / or weaker spring.
    B I N G O was his name O

BTW, I use this rifle for PRS style shooting so going to a single shot isn’t realistic.
    One reason you don't see Savages in PRS shooting shorter cases.

If only someone would make a control round feed kit for a Savage!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I had an interesting morning. I have two rifles, one barreled in 243 the other in 260. The 260 would fail to eject 100% of the time, the 243 would extract-eject 100% of the time. Both bolt heads are setup exactly the same, .140 extractor ball, steel extractor, ejectors-extractor springs ".......even measured the bolt head face depths which were identical. yadda, yadda

Just for S&Gs I swapped bolts, put 243's in the 260, the 260's in the 243. Now both reliably extract-eject 100% of the time!
    Go figure!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.