Thread: Tips on boyds stock and centerfeed mag

Tips on boyds stock and centerfeed mag

I have done 5 savage rifles with Boyds stocks but this is the first with the center feed (long action).
    How do you fit the mag in the stock ? Do you use the L clip and relieve the stock where it mounts or just add wood around the mag so it fits tight ? Is there any other things that I need to do ?

glockeyed

Re: Tips on boyds stock and centerfeed mag

both, here is a thread on the same subject a little further down.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,37435.0.html

Read that, it is about short action stock and does not answer the question about the L clip. Any help would be appreciated

Team Savage

The magazine wells in aftermarket staggerfeed stocks are usually oversized. I threw the L-clip away, since it is a PITA and can't be a positive addition for accuracy. Tape the magazine box to the action in the correct position using a business card between the magazine lips and bolt. Put a small ball (4) of epoxy putty in each corner of the magazine well. Attach the action with magazine box to the stock and press the corners of the magazine box (coat with release agent) into the epoxy putty. It will harden quickly. This forms a base in the stock well for your magazine box to sit on. It will now feed correctly and will not touch/bind your bolt. Clean up excess putty inside the corners of the magazine box with a dremel tool. Once you know the magazine feeds correctly, you can glue or Velcro in place. Or, it may stay in place with just a friction fit.

Thanks

onesureshot

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    The magazine wells in aftermarket staggerfeed stocks are usually oversized. I threw the L-clip away, since it is a PITA and can't be a positive addition for accuracy. Tape the magazine box to the action in the correct position using a business card between the magazine lips and bolt. Put a small ball (4) of epoxy putty in each corner of the magazine well. Attach the action with magazine box to the stock and press the corners of the magazine box (coat with release agent) into the epoxy putty. It will harden quickly. This forms a base in the stock well for your magazine box to sit on. It will now feed correctly and will not touch/bind your bolt. Clean up excess putty inside the corners of the magazine box with a dremel tool. Once you know the magazine feeds correctly, you can glue or Velcro in place. Or, it may stay in place with just a friction fit.
    You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of how this looks finished would you? I am thinking I am going to try it on the rifle I am putting together. Also, when you put the business card between the mag and the bolt, do you do it with the bolt all the way forward? I have noticed the rearend of the bolt has to be higher than the front on this rifle in order for it to feed.

Team Savage

Sorry, I did not save a picture of the stock with the pillars and action bedded. I place the business card between the closed bolt and magazine lips so that they do not touch the bolt body when closed.