Thread: Weighing Brass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Weighing Brass

Does anyone weigh their brass? And if so, how much of a difference in weight do you look for?
    Is 1 grain close enough?

up to you how fussy you want to be. weigh a few and see how much of a spread you have. You could sort them by .02 and see how many piles you have. Cull the extremums until you have a usable quantity.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    I do not. I don’t pretend it would make any accuracy difference for myself. I think many, many people kid themselves with their shooting ability. Honestly.. any forum you go to online it seems, every other person seems to have a factor, ​bone stock rifle that shoots 1/4” MOA, LOL!

Tried weighing cases decades ago and it didn't make a lot of difference with my scores. This Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor won't shoot 1/4 moa with me at the wheel, but it does darn good for only having a trigger change. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stealth 3.jpg   Stealth 4.jpg   Stealth 2.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

I sort everything I take to a match and that includes primers. It's the anal side of physics.
    I shoot Norma brass and my 284-ELF has 5 piles, 1/2 grain apart. I got 3 extreme outliers.
    2 full grains heavier. I cut two apart to check to see if web thickness was the culprit. it was
    not. There can be an argument about only water/alcohol sorting is the best way to check
    capacity, but the flaw in that method is all cases don't spring back the same. and would be
    closer if the full case was annealed, and of course we don't do that.....Note, i only weight
    sort after all prep work is done. And on another note....It's also part of the mental game.
    And one more note.....Deburring and chamfering the necks ?? You would be surprised how
    weight you can alter. Some cases stretch more then others....Did I mention "mental game"
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Fuj, are you saying you are mental? LOL But, yeah, that is a big part when you go down the precision rabbit hole.

Caveat: I am the weak link. I can only shoot to 1/2MOA on a regular basis. Sometimes the stars align and I can get lower, but, not often. And I do not compete.

I do weight sort, but, only to 1gn. My brass is all Lapua or Peterson so most are good. I have also considered the best way to determine case consistency. Volume measurement by filling the case with water or some other consistent medium is considered the 'best' but I do not take the extra time.

My alternative method is to track muzzle velocities. If I get some outliers I will mark the head of the case with a sharpie. Then if it is still 'off' for the next session then I will remove that case from my box. FWIW, I've only had to do that a few times out of a hundred cases. Yes there is a chance I am tossing a good case, but, when all the rest are shooting +/-10fps and one is 30fps out twice in a row, then something is probably wrong with the case.

I did have a batch of Hornady match cases a while ago (.308Win) and they were sorted into three batches of 1gn. I think (mental) it made a difference in group sizes, but, I can't prove it.

The only way to prove something like this works is a blind test, which is kinda time consuming.