Thread: Older 110 model staggered built in mag to removable mag

Older 110 model staggered built in mag to removable mag

Hi, I am new, I looked and did not see much info on this, if there is sorry I missed it. My savage 110 is older and has the staggered built in mag, I want to drop the action in the oryx chassis but will need a clip then. What clips work in this rife and how? Do I remove the built in mag box or will the detachable mag fit into? I have never messed around like this so any help is very appreciated.

Banned
    Firstly, is it at least a Post ‘66 rifle? If it’s a Pre-‘66, forget it. If it’s post, the Action will fit & function. Yes, the staggered Magazine box would need to be removed. It comes off easy. Small screwdriver on the edge & pry the lip off. No biggie. However, a bit of machining needs to be done on the bottom of Action Magazine well. The Maxine used in the Oryx is an AICS. Several manufacturers make these. They are either Long or Short Action. If you are not a DIY person who has done other kinds of fabrication, modification, etc… then I do not recommend it. Unless you are ok with it being a single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Firstly, is it at least a Post ‘66 rifle? If it’s a Pre-‘66, forget it. If it’s post, the Action will fit & function. Yes, the staggered Magazine box would need to be removed. It comes off easy. Small screwdriver on the edge & pry the lip off. No biggie. However, a bit of machining needs to be done on the bottom of Action Magazine well. The Maxine used in the Oryx is an AICS. Several manufacturers make these. They are either Long or Short Action. If you are not a DIY person who has done other kinds of fabrication, modification, etc… then I do not recommend it. Unless you are ok with it being a single shot.
    It is a 1989-2001 based off the F in the serial number. I have done some machining and fab stuff on non guns so I would be down. I do not want a single shot, I want the detachable mag as that oryx chassis is not a closed frame but i suppose I could custome that to have the internal mag as well. Whatachining would need to be done on the "action Magazine " and what exactly is that? The fixed box removal does look easy enough, thanks for your help!

Banned
    Yes, it will work. The machining is straightforward. Once you have the Oryx Chassis and an AICS magazine, you simply need to machine on the bottom magwell of the Action. So the Magazine seats & feeds correctly. Unfortunately I have nothing I can show you except the magwell of my my own Model 10. But really it’s just understanding how the magazine seats.

A picture of the megwell would be helpful, I believe I understand what needs to be done, thanks.

Banned
    On the Right is the Savage. The left is a Rem 700, just ignore it. Essentially the magwell needs to look like this. Compare it to yours & once you have the parts, you’ll be able to see what needs done.

Note: I would not advise doing anything until you have all the parts. You only want to remove enough material for the magazine to fit & function.

Banned
    I found this as well. There are a couple pictures showing what the Poster did. It’s the back of the Action magwell that needs to be machined. Not much. Just enough to allow the magazine to fit in the Action for proper height. https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...ed-mod.147564/

Awsome! Thanks, i picked up the clip from a local store now just waiting for the new chassis. Yes the plan was to wait unitl i have all the parts before doing anything, very wise recommendation, appreciate that. I was planning to wait to make sure i had everything and it was possible before starting. So excited to drop the 110 .300 win mag into that frame. Will update this and figure out how to post pictures of the build and finished result.

[IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    By the way: Just for reference.

Clip:

Magazine:

Banned
    Yes, once you have the chassis & install the Action, it will become very clear what material must be removed. It’s just a bit from the rear to allow the magazine to sit at height & lock in. Many people have done it. Just, no one has posted a thread with good photos showing it.

Also, what cartridge is your 110?

Buggers lol well thank you, its in .300 wm. I picked up a .338 lm but it pinches the belt on the .300wm brass so I told them no good, ordered a .300mw specific and waiting to compare the two mags while I want for the stock.

I have it completed and assembled now, dont know how to pist a picture but i machined out when i had the new stock and clip which was a good call as it was not the exact same as yours but same area so thanks for that :)

Banned
    Awesome! We wanna see it! Use those site. https://imgbb.com/ Upload the picture from your device, click the picture & Copy/Paste the
    BBCode link right into the thread. It’s super easy, you don’t have to join that site or even provide email. Called 3rd party hosting.

On another note,
    Dont throw away or damage the old staggerfeed box if you can help it. They haven't been made in many years now and are next to impossible to find if somebody needs one.
    Sometimes the little ears that go into the bottom of the action will snap off during removal and finding a replacement is tough.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Still waiting…