Thread: Fall 2023 Impulse Rigs

Team Savage

Fall 2023 Impulse Rigs

Since Savage first introduced the Impulse Predator rifle I was hooked before I even handled one.
    After buying one in early 2021 and using it to hunt coyote in all sorts of weather and abuse without failure, I was hooked and needed to enhance it to fit my needs.
    I added a .243 carbon fiber barrel last year and went looking for a more easily adjustable stock.
    Since I needed a straight pull backup rifle to match my primary rifle, I added another Predator to the stable and chambered it in 20-250.
    I just received a Boyd's At-one thumbhole stock and when I get it back from my friend who's going to widen the barrel channel, that should complete the primary rifles enhancements.
    I'm going to stick with the CF .243 barrel in the primary and 20-250 in the backup for now, but I have .308 and .260 barrel assy's available if the need for heavier firepower arises.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1724.jpg  

Basic Member
    I’ve never used a straight pull bolt.
    How does it compare to the traditional bolt style?
    If you prefer the straight pull, what are the reasons you prefer it over the traditional one?
    Thanks

Team Savage
    Why the straight pull Impulse ?
    Simplicity and adaptability.
    Two features a savage barrel nut aficionado can fully appreciate.

SJC

Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    Since Savage first introduced the Impulse Predator rifle I was hooked before I even handled one.
    After buying one in early 2021 and using it to hunt coyote in all sorts of weather and abuse without failure, I was hooked and needed to enhance it to fit my needs.
    I added a .243 carbon fiber barrel last year and went looking for a more easily adjustable stock.
    Since I needed a straight pull backup rifle to match my primary rifle, I added another Predator to the stable and chambered it in 20-250.
    I just received a Boyd's At-one thumbhole stock and when I get it back from my friend who's going to widen the barrel channel, that should complete the primary rifles enhancements.
    I'm going to stick with the CF .243 barrel in the primary and 20-250 in the backup for now, but I have .308 and .260 barrel assy's available if the need for heavier firepower arises.

SJC
    Nice setup- are you machining those barrel extensions or did you find a source?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    Why the straight pull Impulse ?
    Simplicity and adaptability.
    Two features a savage barrel nut aficionado can fully appreciate.

SJC
    Not to mention they are ambidextrous.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by dcf69 View Post
    Nice setup- are you machining those barrel extensions or did you find a source?
    A machinist friend made the QC kit parts for me and himself.
    He just bought another predator rifle in .308 and a carbon fiber 22-250 barrel for it.
    Now he has three calibers to choose from.
    Going to get it set up tomorrow and hit the woods after sighting it in.

SJC

Team Savage
    I ended up chopping six inches off of the 20-250 barrel to make it twenty inches long, threaded it and a bead blast to make it non reflective.
    It's still heavy, but a lot more maneuverable.
    Drops coyote like a rock.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230924_192020939.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	9931
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 8 Dog (2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	317.6 KB 
ID:	9932

Handled this model in 243 yesterday at Bud’s in Sevierville, TN. Full retail of four figures on the price tag whereas the website list this rifle for about $750 and free shipping with AI mags. Someone here said the AI mags were far better than anything Savage makes in house.

With the full length and unfluted barrel the balance was actually quite nice for me, although slight muzzle heavy. It was so slight I could see a scope bringing the balance back to the barrel nut area. Flutes or CF would make this rifle handle very well for me.

I also looked at the Kiui(I think that’s right) model in 300 WM, 30.06 and 6.5. Longer heavy barrel but with flutes. I really liked this model, but balance was slightly heavier at muzzle than Predator. This one also takes a savage magazine. One 300 had a bolt that would stick at the rear like it wanted to release from the action, even though the bolt release had not been touched. Counter guy had to do a trick with two hands I couldn’t make out to release the bolt, and then he could repeat the issues all over. He said there was a problem with trigger group and that it had to be worked on. I couldn’t duplicate this issue with the other ten or so Impulses n the rack.

Being ambidextrous is a huge selling point for me. id love to have one of these, but I’m still leaning towards the Axis in 6.5 so I have a knock around rifle. We shall see.

Barrels can move from Axis to 110 to Impulse as long as barrel nut/lug dimensions are all the same, correct?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN View Post
    Handled this model in 243 yesterday at Bud’s in Sevierville, TN. Full retail of four figures on the price tag whereas the website list this rifle for about $750 and free shipping with AI mags. Someone here said the AI mags were far better than anything Savage makes in house.

With the full length and unfluted barrel the balance was actually quite nice for me, although slight muzzle heavy. It was so slight I could see a scope bringing the balance back to the barrel nut area. Flutes or CF would make this rifle handle very well for me.

I also looked at the Kiui(I think that’s right) model in 300 WM, 30.06 and 6.5. Longer heavy barrel but with flutes. I really liked this model, but balance was slightly heavier at muzzle than Predator. This one also takes a savage magazine. One 300 had a bolt that would stick at the rear like it wanted to release from the action, even though the bolt release had not been touched. Counter guy had to do a trick with two hands I couldn’t make out to release the bolt, and then he could repeat the issues all over. He said there was a problem with trigger group and that it had to be worked on. I couldn’t duplicate this issue with the other ten or so Impulses n the rack.

Being ambidextrous is a huge selling point for me. id love to have one of these, but I’m still leaning towards the Axis in 6.5 so I have a knock around rifle. We shall see.

Barrels can move from Axis to 110 to Impulse as long as barrel nut/lug dimensions are all the same, correct?
    The Impulse comes in seven models now. https://savagearms.com/impulse
    One key feature that sets the Impulse models apart from the rest, is that it has a barrel extension to make changing barrel assy's a breeze.
    Once head spaced, you can swap barrel assy's in minutes, as long as the cartridge has the same rim diameter as the bolt head.
    The Predator uses a .473" bolt head, so any short action cartridge in the .308 family will work.

SJC

Banned
    110 Barrels can be changed in minutes

Regardless of head spacing beforehand in a separate barrel extension, or at the time of barrel replacement makes no difference. The same steps are required and overall, they take the same time.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Regardless of head spacing beforehand in a separate barrel extension, or at the time of barrel replacement makes no difference. The same steps are required and overall, they take the same time.
    Come on Dave.
    Remove stock, loosen four bolts, remove barrel assy, install "pre head spaced" barrel assy, close bolt, tighten four bolts, attach stock.
    All done using a 1/8" Allen wrench.
    I've done it in under a minute and it keeps POI.
    I'd like to see someone change a barrel and head space a 110 turn bolt antique in the field or at the bench in under a minute.
    Savage has upped the game with the introduction of the Impulse and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

SJC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Correct as far as you went with your comment. But once head spaced into the spare extension, Its no touch.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    I still wouldn’t trust it on factory barrel extensions. Same as replacing anything like the Bolt Head, Bolt Sleeve, etc. In shoots case, he has those extensions custom made, so he knows they are precise. But no one else has access to those extensions. Are the factory extensions available for sale?

I like pretty tight headspace. I make SS shims to set headspace using the GO gauge + .003” shim to act as “NO GO”.